A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: mailing from the us to canada  (Read 877 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Happy Howl-idays

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 14, 2008 01:17:30 PM »

Alright, so Im located in the u.s. and my swap partner is in canda.  Im wondering what the simplest easiest way to send the package to her would be.  Its a small box.  Not too heavy im guessing 5 lbs at the most.  Ive heard people say that fedex is fast but, they have been charged extra fees when they recieve their package.  I dont want my partner to have to pay extra fees just to get her package.  Im wondering if I go with just regular usps, will that be the easiest & have no additional fees once it arrives to its canadian destination. Huh  Im going to the post office either tomorrow or the next day.  But just wondering in advance what to expect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Are you good at painting?  I would love some hand painted paintings of Pugs.  PM me and lets talk about a swap!  Smiley

~If someone tells you that your putting too much peanut butter on your bread, stop talking to them.  You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008 04:04:32 PM »

Alright, so Im located in the u.s. and my swap partner is in canda.  Im wondering what the simplest easiest way to send the package to her would be.  Its a small box.  Not too heavy im guessing 5 lbs at the most.  Ive heard people say that fedex is fast but, they have been charged extra fees when they recieve their package.  I dont want my partner to have to pay extra fees just to get her package.  Im wondering if I go with just regular usps, will that be the easiest & have no additional fees once it arrives to its canadian destination. Huh  Im going to the post office either tomorrow or the next day.  But just wondering in advance what to expect.

I always use USPS and the packages got there in less than 2 weeks. The usps website has a postage calculator that you might want to check out to get an idea of the options, costs & delivery times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008 04:55:34 PM »

as a canadian, i can say that USPS is best! apparently DHL or whatever it is (i forget!) doesn't charge the additional fees, but i've only received one package that was sent through them, so i don't know for sure.

i can tell you that Fedex and UPS are EVIL though! Fedex sent me to collections for a $15 charge on a $10 calendar, and UPS sent my sister to collections for a $40 charge on a swap package (obviously, we refused to pay the fees!)

my dad's obsessed with ebay (seriously frickin obsessed) and if the seller ships UPS, he doesn't even bother bidding, because it's pretty much guaranteed to add $20-$40 to the price. last month i was stupid and didn't realize that a site i'd ordered from before had switched to Fedex - it was a HUGE hassle, they wanted me to fax them my credit card info, and pay them a $15 "brokerage" fee as well as duty and customs fees that i'd never have to pay if i took it across the border myself... i sat on the phone with these idiots back east for over half an hour on two seperate occasions, i had to call 4 different people! i ended up refusing the package at the border, and then it took a week and a half to be returned to boston so that the site could reship it to me at an american address. huge huge hassle!

i've been in over 60 swaps, and i order supplies and stuff online constantly, and i've never been charged any sort of additional fee when the package was sent USPS.

(sorry for the long reply! obviously, it's of a pet peeve of mine!! i have to say THANK YOU for being a consientious swap partner and thinking about this for your partner's sake!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
missmuffcake

Spicy but sweet!

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008 06:19:55 PM »

If things are marked 'gift' do you still have to pay? I always thought that you do not pay fees/taxes on gift items.

Funny thing is it seems that packages take forever to get to Can. from where I live but UK shipping is like 5 days!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
littlefawnpug

Happy Howl-idays

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008 06:53:41 PM »

Grin Thanks you all for your responses & help!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Are you good at painting?  I would love some hand painted paintings of Pugs.  PM me and lets talk about a swap!  Smiley

~If someone tells you that your putting too much peanut butter on your bread, stop talking to them.  You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008 12:17:02 AM »

If things are marked 'gift' do you still have to pay? I always thought that you do not pay fees/taxes on gift items.

Funny thing is it seems that packages take forever to get to Can. from where I live but UK shipping is like 5 days!

yeah, UPS and Fedex still charge on gifts as well, as far as i know, since my sister got charged for a swap package.. they still charge their "brokerage" fee regardless, they may not charge duty.

when i mail letter sized packaged to australia from the US (i live right by the border) they take FOREVER, but when i mail them from canada, they usually arrive in a week! it's funny how different countries are so different!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
guineverefree

I love happy endings, they are so rare. - Aro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008 07:15:27 AM »

Every month I send payments to two different companies for my student loans. They are right across the border from one another (I'm Canadian, but I live in Tennessee right now). It takes 2 days for the American one to be received and processed and at least two weeks for the Canadian one....wait, that may be a Canadian student loan problem...not a shipping problem.

Never mind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008 09:53:49 AM »

I just sent my first swap package to Canada and was shocked that they dont do delivery confirmation but they did do registered mail..one little box and it cost way more than I had thought but oh well..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008 03:58:41 PM »

my experience - NEVER ship with curiour whether dhl, fedex, ups etc. ALWAYS ship USPS! true you don't get DC when sending international but most swap hosts know this and state it is ok not to have dc on international packages. Second, send first class unless weight wise you are unable to. in my experience priority doesn't get here any faster than first class. priority is guaranteed 10-14 days and first class they say 2 - 4weeks but i've almost always gotten my first class packages in 10-14 days. only mark a package gift if that is what it is, i do consider swap packages gifts though.

the customs form is not a receipt for value it is a guide for the customs people to decide if duty is warranted. example: if you make bags for your etsy store and sell them for 65 dollars and you sell one to a canadian by all means put the value of the bag as they PAID 65 for it. but for a swap package it was made as a gift and the canadian paid 0 for it but put the value of the materials in the customs form. there are swaps were i seriously find awesome ridiculous deals and the whole darn shebang cost me 10 in materials but i have a huge package to send
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pastel Pearl Wooden Bead Necklace
The Delicate Art of the Faberge Egg
Jewelry Cleaning Tips
Intricate Food Inspired Jewelry
How to Make a Heart Necklace
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...