A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 307,988
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ceramics pieces  (Read 883 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lemony
« on: December 30, 2007 07:30:46 PM »

My favourite class of all year was most definately ceramics. I'm gonna go back next year and get my diploma in it!

So here are some pictures of the bowls I've made this year.

This one is my very first one ever. It was so cute and titchy! But I lost it. I think it might have broke in the kiln.

These are all my bowls that did survive lined up for assessment. Some of them haven't been fired or glazed yet, so they're living in a box under my bed, all wrapped up in newspaper. Most of the other bowls have been given away to people. The squat little green bottle that you can see in this one and none of the other pictures is going to Jamie, he says he can put it to good use.

These two are going to my sister in England. Mum's going to wrap them all up and take them in her carry on luggage just to make sure they're super safe. These are my favourite ones, I like the way the double dip blue glazing came out. I'm currently using he bowl as a change bowl, and the bottle is sitting on a shelf somewhere.

I gave this one to Jarrad to use as an ashtray, but he's been using it for a change bowl. Seriously, how ungrateful can you get?! Its missing a chunk out of the side by accident, I clanked it against something while it was only leather-hard and it just fell off. So I smoothed it down and sanded it, and decided that it could be used as an Asian noodle bowl, with a nice little groove for your chin to sit in!

The brown and green one in the bottom right corner is Mum's popcorn bowl. She said she can fit just the right amount of popcorn for her in there, and who am I to argue with that? Also, I didn't want it. I mean, what was I going to do with ANOTHER bowl? Now Mum can enjoy just the right amount of popcorn. Also in this pic you can see the ones that need firing next year. Some of them broke on the way home though, I can't remember which ones, but I've only got about 5 or 6 unfired ones left. Cry

So thats that!

Thanks for the looking! Comments are lovely. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~*~*I got two turn-tables and a microphone*~*~*
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007 07:45:02 PM »

Its missing a chunk out of the side by accident, I clanked it against something while it was only leather-hard and it just fell off. So I smoothed it down and sanded it, and decided that it could be used as an Asian noodle bowl, with a nice little groove for your chin to sit in!

That cracks me up! Actually, I was thinking the groove would be a good spot for your chopsticks to hang out of the bowl, or even a spoon or fork. Way to make an accident into something useful! Perhaps you could find an online niche selling these. Actually, it reminds me of some bowls my grandparents had when I was little. They had a space cut out for your hand and just a little of the rim left over so that the bowl had a handle. Sorry I can't explain better. Anyway, those bowls were really nice.

I'd like to see your bowl in action, with noodles an' everything! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
merricat17
Strange Grounds

Strange Grounds Coffee, 1417 S Broadway, Denver CO

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007 08:02:04 PM »

i like your work.  i love ceramics.  your glazes are all really well done. hard to believe this was your first class, your wheel thrown pieces are really good. (took me the better part of three years to get good on the wheel. >.<)  definitely keep it up!!

a word of caution about flying with your artwork:  depending on the content of your glazes and clay, you may get harassed by airport security when your art goes through the x-ray type machine.  this happened to me (pre- 9/11, when airport security wasn't even as insane as it is now) as i had a small (red) iron/oxide glazed vase i was taking to my friend as a gift, and it was a whole big "what the hell is that big metal thing, we can't identify it, open up your stuff and show us" thing.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange Grounds Coffee
1417 South Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
BadWolf
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007 08:04:48 PM »

I loooove these. Your wheel work is amazing. I haven't been on the wheel in over a year and I miss it sooo much. Keep it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lemony
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008 06:01:16 AM »

Thanks you guys! You're so nice!

Yeah, I love ceramics so much. I can't wait to get back to it. It's only been a month and already I've aching to get back on a wheel. Only 1 month left to go!

As for the traveling with it thing, Mum said she would put it in her hand luggage in bubble wrap or something, so I guess if they ask her to take it out, it won't be too hard.

Thanks for all the comments, its great to hear back from people!

: D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~*~*I got two turn-tables and a microphone*~*~*
italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008 10:21:08 AM »

They're lovely.
I especially like the browns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008 12:51:42 AM »

I think I may have been in your class.................how bizarre
S
ok not your class, but that classroom, I did ceramics too
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008 03:32:13 AM by ScrappySue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Placemat Shoulder Purse
We Can Do It!
Meatless Monday: Squash and Onion Galette

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...