A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitty Harness  (Read 3670 times)
Tags for this thread: cat_harness , cat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gammerus

Optimus prime owns you

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2007 09:40:05 PM »

My parents have always hated cats, and refused to believe that they make good pets... Well that all changed when we found an 8week old kitten in our backyard. It was raining and the dogs were barking incessantly at him, scaring him half to death so he a sad sight when I found him. So of course we brought him in, dried him off and gave him some kitten food (which I allready have for my ferret).  It really didn't take long for my parents to decide that we were keeping him. I honestly think it was pity more than anything since he was so small, cute, friendly, and looked like he hadn't eaten in weeks.

He is getting rather big (couple pounds now) and he needed a harness so he could be taken for walks and what not... Well amazingly enough the old ferret harness I had fit him quite well, the only problem was that the nylon was too thick and too stiff. Well now I could just buy him a new harness and hope it is comfortable, or I could do the craftster thing and make him a comfy one myself.

So I dug through my fabric stash and found a cute baby blue shirt and began sewing... using the parts from the ferret harness of course.

I did forget one thing though, a bell.  He isn't allowed full run of the house because of how small he is, and since gaining weight he has been able to jump over any baby gate and get into everything he shouldn't... If anyone knows how to keep a cat from going behind the fridge I would love to know.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007 11:23:00 PM by gammerus » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cookiemaker
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007 09:45:47 PM »

Use a squirt gun to discourage him from doing things he shouldn't. It worked on my kitten, although the little jerk won't stop climbing my ferret's cage no matter what.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twisted5whispers
Knit knit knit

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007 09:49:11 PM »

omg! that is so awesome! i love it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in doing personal swaps! I can knit, crochet and sew. Smiley
bella_domanie
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007 10:45:41 PM »

lol I had the same problem with the fridge thing, not too long ago.  There is just, barely enough space between the end of our counter and the fridge for me to jam Capri Sun boxes.  I stacked two.  Not the prettiest or nicest thing in the world but, it's recycleable in the end and if the cat scratches 'em up... Who cares lol.  Good luck.  Your cat is adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gammerus

Optimus prime owns you

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007 11:15:22 PM »

thank you, he is a cute lil ball of fluff...

I don't know much about cats, having never owned any so I am not sure which is the best option for when he is home; should he be wearing a normal collar, a break away collar or will the harness do? (he will be a strickly indoor cat)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007 01:44:57 AM »

Oh my goodness he is adorable!!! (what's his name?) I want to wist him, he's so lovely!

I have indoor cats (their choice, not mine, they are also rescue cats and are very nervous) and they wear break-away collars at all times with their (my  Smiley) phone number on a tag for the extremely occasional times they venture outdoors and just in case of emergencies.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

vala_amaris
Vala Queen of TMI

I'm kinda nuts but really sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007 05:29:23 AM »

First that kitten is ADORABLE! 

Second, my cats hate tinfoil, I line the floor with it behind the couch and they refuse to walk on it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gammerus

Optimus prime owns you

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007 12:03:05 PM »

Oh my goodness he is adorable!!! (what's his name?) I want to wist him, he's so lovely!

His Name is Bagheera, which means panther.

I am going to have to re-make the harness soon because he just keeps getting heavier every day... but because of his dark fur I am looking into some glow in the dark paint/reflecters and I cannot decide between the two.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010 09:13:03 PM by gammerus » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007 03:16:04 PM »

His Name is Bagheera, which means panther in Swahili.

I am going to have to re-make the harness soon because he just keeps getting heavier every day... but because of his dark fur I am looking into some glow in the dark paint/reflecters and I cannot decide between the two.

ooh, what about rhinestones?! (or is that too girly for a tom cat??) x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

very_vizsla
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007 11:35:27 PM »

nice harness! simple design, i love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is too short to wear a boring dog collar - Custom made handbeaded dog collars & martingale collars
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a ‘Breakfast Club Sandwich’
Jalapeno-Cheddar Corn Bread Recipe for the Super Bowl
The Potato Express: Does It Work?!
How to Make a Cheese Soufflé with Bacon-Arugula Salad
KD101: Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...