A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,062
Currently Running With Scissors:
487 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Russian Winter Hat and Drop Stitch Vest  (Read 4043 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

karidactyl
« on: January 04, 2005 08:55:21 AM »

hi everyone. i'm a beginning knitter looking for some help on my first attempts at non-scarf projects. i'm kind of tired of knitting scarves so i just decided to go for something i really like, and so here i am at the russian winter hat and drop stitch vest (no way to learn better than to try, right?).

so the hat calls for the use of circular needles, but does that mean that i need to knit in the round? the patt doesnt say so, that i can tell, but i have never knitted in the round so maybe i just overlooked something.
and for the drop-stitch vest, i'm sort of unclear about when to drop the stitches. so i work in St st until the piece is such a length long, and then for the next row i k26 and then begin to drop? and beginning to do the DBO2 makes the ladders run down the entire St st piece? i'm having trouble visualizing. any help/advice is really appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

something poignant here.
queenbee
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005 07:03:40 PM »

You don't have to knit in the round for the Russian winter hat, I would think. it says to use circs just to make it easier because of the shape of the hat but it's not necessary.
I want to try this hat, too, but can't seem to find the yarn locally, and it seems expensive on the internet... I might try to sub a cheaper yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karidactyl
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005 11:28:53 PM »

yeah i hear that the yarn for the hat is way hard to find, but i'm for sure willing to search. good luck with this project if you ever find a good yarn for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

something poignant here.
queenbee
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005 08:18:01 PM »

OK, I knit the hat using Lion brand polar spun - see pic at http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=3085
After having knit it, I think you would really need the circular needles to make it work. Also, I wouldn't recommend it as your very first hat project, it can be a bit tricky to work with the fluffy yarn and to pick up stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiemarie
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005 08:40:00 PM »

Here are some cute yarns you could use along with a strand of worsted weight yarn that would be pretty inexpensive:

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=95763&PRODID=96060

http://www.arnies.com/merchant/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=arnies&Product_Code=divine&Category_Code=yarn

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=95767&PRODID=87588

I think the last one would work the best!  Also, if you sign up for joann's e-mail list they send you deals on shipping all of the time, and you can get 40% off one item in your cart with your order as well.
hope this helps!
--cassiemarie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suziewrong
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005 10:29:11 PM »

Kari - I just started up knitting again, and one of my first projects was on round needles...Don't be scared of them, they are your friends! It really is not hard to use them, and once you do, I think you will find it easier than straights because there are no seams to sew, and you can knit all rows for stockinette, so it goes much faster!

Good luck with your hat project. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jujyfruit
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005 11:01:08 AM »

i knit three of the russian winter hats, with completely different yarns, the first one i used straights because i didn't have a circular needle, and it was really hard, but it can be done. for the other two i went out and bought a circular needle. Smiley
for the yarn choices, because of the way the hat is formed, you can use pretty much anything, i think. i made one with lamb's pride bulky, one with lamb's pride worsted, and one with a weird yarn my mom gave me that's somewhere in between those two weights. without the eyelash yarn, it's a really cute simple bonnet. i think it's way more flattering on me than round hats, plus it covers my ears. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
debacle
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005 12:37:04 PM »

make with the pictures, jujyfruit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jujyfruit
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005 09:19:49 PM »

i hope this works... here's my gallery
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4265
the white one i made first on straight needles with lamb's pride worsted, the brown one-i have no idea what that yarn was, and the red and black one is lamb's pride bulky. the eyelash yarns with the red hat and the white hat, i don't know what they are either.  Roll Eyes sorry!
i kind of hate the red and black one so i never put ties on it or wove in the ends. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005 09:47:34 PM »

very nice, jujyfruit! I dunno why, but it never really even crossed my mind that I could sub yarns for this project, I guess I just couldn't see it in anything but it's furry-ness glory! I really like all of your versions though, cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Megan Fox Makeup Look
Celebrities Without Makeup
New York Fashion Week: Derek Lam Spring 2014 RTW - Runway Show
Carolina Herrera - NYFW Spring 2014 - Interviews, Backstage & Runway
Cynthia Alvarez: DIY New York Fashion Week 2014 Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...