A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: need help - i want to crochet this "cape"....  (Read 1326 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

greeneye

"Dream big and dare to fail."

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2005 07:24:26 AM »

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=6477&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=10&iSubCat=23&iProductID=6477

i know it's knit, but can it be done crochet with a soft yarn? it just seems like an extented shrug, too...

any insight/ideas would be awsome...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005 04:12:25 PM »

There was one like it in the Interweave Crochet magazine special edition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005 06:33:36 PM »

It does look like an extra-large shrug.  Probably very simple construction.  I happened across a crochet stitch that ends up looking very much like a knit fabric when it's finished, and is generally less thick then simlar patterns with the same yarn and hook.  My test was done with a Red Heart Soft Baby yarn on a size G hook, and the material is very soft and supple.  I imagine the Red Heart Soft Baby in white would produce a BEAUTIFUL fabric and would be lovely in that application.  It's called a granite stitch.  On the foundation row, you chain an even number of stitches plus 3.  On Row one, you sc in the fourth ch from the hook, *ch, miss one stitch, sc in next stitch* and repeat * to * to end of row.  Ch 2, and turn.  On row two, you sc into the chain space on the previous row.  End each row with a ch 2, and be sure to sc into that space on your next pass.

I got a guage of 6 stitches (or 3 pairs of sc & ch) to 1" and 6 rows to 1".  As I said, the fabric is lighter than most, the meshy effect doesn't show because the stitches are all close together, but it removes a lot of the bulk you can get with crochet, makes the fabric more supple and not as heavy and warm, gives it more stretch and it's a beautiful pattern.  That yarn is a very soft, washable sport-weight acrylic.  Just be careful, because the variagated versions of that yarn aren't nearly as soft and are seem to be a slightly heavier weight than the solids.

For the pattern, I'd say just wing it.  Find a bulky crocheted sweater in a similar shape and modify the pattern to fit with the stitch you want.  There's a sweater at Lion Brand called "Big Easy" that might give you a good idea of shape for the sleeves and back.  If you split the front and added a big collar I'd be about right.  The "Flattering Jacket" (which I think is a misnomer) would also be the right shape, if you shortened it considerably.  Too bad they only give you instructions and don't chart out the blocked shapes of your finished pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Lara
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005 01:43:27 PM »

i made a similar shrug a while ago, i made the pattern up as i went along, but it was something like this:

i first knit this shape starting at D, i just made it in single crochet stitch

then i joined A to B and C to D, this forms the armholes, then i started crocheting in the round with shell stitch, this forms the collar and the part below the back, so it becomes something like this:

once i finished this part, i crocheted the arms in the round also in shell stitch.

i really hope this helps, i'm not sure whether it's clear or not!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greeneye

"Dream big and dare to fail."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005 05:21:22 AM »

oooh! thanks for all the good ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005 10:13:13 AM »

This one isn't as sweater-shape structured as the Urban Outfitters', but a similar idea: http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/july99_crochet_1.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Portobello and Cheddar Pork Sausage Recipe
Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno-Stuffed Hot Dogs Recipe
Enjoy a Fried Chicken Dinner at Oyster Palace in Washington, DC
How to Make Bacon and Maple Baked Beans
Healthy Chia and Buckwheat Cereal
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...