A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sewing machine hasn't been used in over 10 yrs...  (Read 1178 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CrochetAdikt

splish splash i was takin a bath

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2007 03:03:48 PM »

hi all,
  i kind of inheirited a sewing machine from my grandma except my aunt got it first and then decided she didn't want it so then i got it. sloppy seconds but its a sewing machine at least right? anyways, i was told i need to oil it b/f i turn it on or it might jam up. question is, where do i oil it at? are there certain areas that need to be oiled frequently? or just once and it'll be fine? i've always just used my moms sewing machine so i've never had to really take care of one. any help or suggestions would be great. thanx!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mystico_tala
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007 05:31:22 PM »

If it hasn't been used in a long time it might be best to take it in to a shop for an actual cleaning.  Someone else might be able to help you on the oil thing, I don't have a clue.  Seeing as how my machine is 60 years old, I probably should know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
deathslilsister

elegantly waisted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007 06:08:01 PM »

I second taking it to a repair shop for a good cleaning and tune-up; my grandmother gave me her old machine a couple of years ago, and it needed a new belt and some other minor repairs before I could start sewing.  Once it's been tuned-up professionally, it is a good idea to keep it oiled if you do a lot of sewing.  If you can find a copy of the machine manual (the big machine companies are very good about stocking manuals to sell, and there are lots of scans of manuals available online), it will usually have a diagram of the points that need to be oiled for that particular machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrochetAdikt

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007 09:04:09 PM »

ok thanks guys. there's a machine shop down the road from me so if i can find it and its reasonable, i'll take it in. it may be better to just buy a new one for 100 bucks. we'll see. thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

localtalent
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007 04:21:28 PM »

ok thanks guys. there's a machine shop down the road from me so if i can find it and its reasonable, i'll take it in. it may be better to just buy a new one for 100 bucks. we'll see. thanks again.

What make and model of machine? 

A tuneup will likely cost you $60-$70.  Don't be fooled by this, though - it's quite likely that your older machine is worth well more than that.  The cheaper machines have mostly plastic internals and will not last as long.  My machine is a Bernina that my mom bought new in '72 - cost me $140 to get it up and running, due to a short in the motor and one shop not doing a good job repairing it.  Worth every penny, the thing is built like a tank.  Older machines were generally better constructed, because they were meant to be repaired - not disposed of like most modern appliances.

And wouldn't you want to sew on your grandmother's machine?  It's been in the family for three generations and you're giving it new life - how awesome is that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007 08:14:09 PM »

it may be better to just buy a new one for 100 bucks
as she said above, I'll reiterate with proper emphasis:
HELL NO on trading it in for a new cheap machine!

If someone gave you a 5 year old Mercedez M class sedan that hadn't been driven in a while would you take it to a shop for a tune up? or trade it in on a new Kia?

Old sewing machines are worth their weight in gold- and the old ones tend to be heavy!

$60- $70 is really high for my area, I can get a tune up & oil for $45- $55, YMMV.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrochetAdikt

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007 10:24:03 PM »

yeah i understand what you guys mean about the wanting to go with the old machines b/c they're more heavy duty. what i really want is for my mom to fix up the machine i learned how to sew on b/c thats the one i really really want. my grandma died when i was 4 so i never grew up knowing her so actually having her machine doesn't really mean a whole lot to me, there's not much sentimental value, its just that its a decent machine. i know that may sound awful to some people but from what i've heard she didn't like our family or my mother much anyways. i'm expecting my machine to cost at least 75 to fix since i live in colorado. everything here is expensive except gasoline. a gallon of milk costs more than gas here. my boyfriend thinks he can "fix" it up and oil it himself b/c i think i know where the instruction manual is but i think when he's gone for work i'm going to take it in and have them do it properly Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007 06:47:58 AM »

my boyfriend thinks he can "fix" it up and oil it himself b/c i think i know where the instruction manual is

This isn't as dangerous as it sounds Smiley If he works on cars or motorcycles at all I'd trust him with a sewing machine. They are pretty simple. Most of cleaning up a sewing machine is just that: q-tips & oil. My main concern about ten years unused is any rubber or leather belts or gaskets may have gotten brittle, a repair shop will have replacements on hand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrochetAdikt

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007 11:23:29 AM »

alright, i guess i'll trust him with it. are the belts and such easy to get to to check and see how they are?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007 12:54:07 PM »

That really depends on the machine, some housings are a couple screws & lift off no sweat, some take an act of congress....the replacement parts themselves tend to be pretty cheap, but harder to find unless you go through a sewing machine shop. Most online places you can order have minimum order priced or quantites that are not solo repair friendly :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Samsung NX100 Hands-on Video at Photokina 2010
Canon Multipurpose 4k Camera Concept
Nick Woodman Talks About the GoPro Cameras
Canon 7D Hands-on
How to Transform a Room Into a Camera Obscura
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...