A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,554
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: show us your backs!  (Read 12541 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LuluB
« on: January 04, 2005 07:06:09 AM »

when i first learned to embroider and cross-stitch i was always told that the back of my work should look as nice as my front.  this is a thing i've never, really been able to master.  i mean, the backs aren't a total mess, i don't travel my floss, i don't tie big knots, but neat as they are, they are no where near as nice as the actual work. 

so i implore you all to show your backs!

i want tips, tricks, techniques to get that ellusive pretty back.

i want a back to be proud of!  a back i can show off and not cover with a frame or fabric.

come on ladies (and gentlemen? [are there any gentlemen in the embroidery forum?]), i'll show you mine if you show me your's. . .

erika
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovepaper
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005 08:15:10 AM »

ok luluB
 I'll go first.
I've only been embroidering for a few months now and this is about as neat as I can get it. Alright, alright I traveled small distances a few times but not too much.
I tried to make these really neat even though the backs won't ever show, they are part of a quilt I'm making for my 9 year old daughter.  2 patterns from Sublime Stitching... as if you couldn't tell.
here are the backs:

and here are the front's:

Crappy scanner! I really need to save some money to replace my dead digital camera.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011 08:44:24 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hummer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005 04:32:14 AM »

No,  but you were the only one brave enough to show us the backside of your work.  I'd certainly be proud if the back of my work looked even half as nice as yours does.  And no,  I won't be posting the back of my embroidery work here.

J

*sound of crickets chirping*

sheesh!
Am I a thread killer or what?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuluB
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005 06:21:54 AM »

sorry i haven't had time to take any pictures, i'll get something up soon, promise.

now, come on people!  show your backs!  even if they're not neat you can ask questions about problems you've been having. 

tonight, i swear, my backs will be shown!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LuluB
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005 05:43:41 AM »

finally!

okay here's the back to my elvis costello shirt (probably the neatest back i've ever done):

and to refresh the memory here's the front:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovepaper
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005 07:05:50 AM »

ummmm luluB... the back looks almost as good as the front does. And you were looking for new techniques, why? Seriously, I can't imagine how it could be improved.
Your back rocks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LuluB
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005 08:36:33 AM »

well, that back is an exceptionally neat back but it's the only one i have handy that doesn't have fabric over it, i'll try to take a picture of what i'm working on right now which is a much better example of the backs of my work.

plus. . . i'm always open to learn something new and someone out there might know some super special secrets they're willing to share!*

erika

*although since it seems to be just the 2 of us keeping this thread going, i don't quite know where those secrets will be coming from. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

connie149th
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005 01:26:30 PM »

Hi! i did this flower a couple weeks ago. As you can see i did a bit of "travelling" on this one, and it's kinda ugly. Right now im working on another flower design and that one is coming out much better. I usually make knots in the back to secure the thread, the "technique" i do is make a knot loop and slip the embroidery needle in the loop and guide the loop down to the back of the work, tighten, and clip the left over thread. this technique hasn't failed me yet. Wink

This is the front:

and heres the back:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005 09:48:29 PM »

I'm so glad you started this thread! I've long wanted to post an image of the back of a piece, and now I have an excuse to do it:

I am not uptight about the back, as you can see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Embroidery Rocks! Sublime Stitching RULES.
Kits - Patterns - How 2
http://www.SublimeStitching.com

Embroidered Artwork by Jenny Hart
http://www.jennyhart.net
isadora
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005 02:12:03 PM »

I am far too fascinated with this topic. I have always wondered what the back of other people's embroidery looks like! Ha!

Mine need to be neater, clearly!

I didn't fully appreciate the old saying that the back should be nearly as neat as the front until fairly recently. I just embroidered away, not worrying about "traveling!" But the more experience I get as an embroidery chick the more I think about the time involved. I *care* now! Awww.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.isadora-ink.com
Clever Gifts & Greetings
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Bacon Bourbon Blondies
How to Make Nutella Stuffed Brioche
How to Make 2-Ingredient Root Beer Float Popsicles
How to Make Dark Chocolate-Dipped Cherries
How to Decorate Cupcakes With a Theme
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...