A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: show us your backs!  (Read 12413 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LuluB
« on: January 04, 2005 07:06:09 AM »

when i first learned to embroider and cross-stitch i was always told that the back of my work should look as nice as my front.  this is a thing i've never, really been able to master.  i mean, the backs aren't a total mess, i don't travel my floss, i don't tie big knots, but neat as they are, they are no where near as nice as the actual work. 

so i implore you all to show your backs!

i want tips, tricks, techniques to get that ellusive pretty back.

i want a back to be proud of!  a back i can show off and not cover with a frame or fabric.

come on ladies (and gentlemen? [are there any gentlemen in the embroidery forum?]), i'll show you mine if you show me your's. . .

erika
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovepaper
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005 08:15:10 AM »

ok luluB
 I'll go first.
I've only been embroidering for a few months now and this is about as neat as I can get it. Alright, alright I traveled small distances a few times but not too much.
I tried to make these really neat even though the backs won't ever show, they are part of a quilt I'm making for my 9 year old daughter.  2 patterns from Sublime Stitching... as if you couldn't tell.
here are the backs:

and here are the front's:

Crappy scanner! I really need to save some money to replace my dead digital camera.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011 08:44:24 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hummer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005 04:32:14 AM »

No,  but you were the only one brave enough to show us the backside of your work.  I'd certainly be proud if the back of my work looked even half as nice as yours does.  And no,  I won't be posting the back of my embroidery work here.

J

*sound of crickets chirping*

sheesh!
Am I a thread killer or what?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuluB
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005 06:21:54 AM »

sorry i haven't had time to take any pictures, i'll get something up soon, promise.

now, come on people!  show your backs!  even if they're not neat you can ask questions about problems you've been having. 

tonight, i swear, my backs will be shown!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LuluB
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005 05:43:41 AM »

finally!

okay here's the back to my elvis costello shirt (probably the neatest back i've ever done):

and to refresh the memory here's the front:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovepaper
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005 07:05:50 AM »

ummmm luluB... the back looks almost as good as the front does. And you were looking for new techniques, why? Seriously, I can't imagine how it could be improved.
Your back rocks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LuluB
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005 08:36:33 AM »

well, that back is an exceptionally neat back but it's the only one i have handy that doesn't have fabric over it, i'll try to take a picture of what i'm working on right now which is a much better example of the backs of my work.

plus. . . i'm always open to learn something new and someone out there might know some super special secrets they're willing to share!*

erika

*although since it seems to be just the 2 of us keeping this thread going, i don't quite know where those secrets will be coming from. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

connie149th
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005 01:26:30 PM »

Hi! i did this flower a couple weeks ago. As you can see i did a bit of "travelling" on this one, and it's kinda ugly. Right now im working on another flower design and that one is coming out much better. I usually make knots in the back to secure the thread, the "technique" i do is make a knot loop and slip the embroidery needle in the loop and guide the loop down to the back of the work, tighten, and clip the left over thread. this technique hasn't failed me yet. Wink

This is the front:

and heres the back:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005 09:48:29 PM »

I'm so glad you started this thread! I've long wanted to post an image of the back of a piece, and now I have an excuse to do it:

I am not uptight about the back, as you can see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Embroidery Rocks! Sublime Stitching RULES.
Kits - Patterns - How 2
http://www.SublimeStitching.com

Embroidered Artwork by Jenny Hart
http://www.jennyhart.net
isadora
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005 02:12:03 PM »

I am far too fascinated with this topic. I have always wondered what the back of other people's embroidery looks like! Ha!

Mine need to be neater, clearly!

I didn't fully appreciate the old saying that the back should be nearly as neat as the front until fairly recently. I just embroidered away, not worrying about "traveling!" But the more experience I get as an embroidery chick the more I think about the time involved. I *care* now! Awww.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.isadora-ink.com
Clever Gifts & Greetings
carlyleech
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005 07:34:35 PM »

why is this so interesting???  i have no idea but i'm intrigued!!!   Roll Eyes   Connie-Bo-Bonnie... i think your flower is adorable - front AND back!  as you will all see, i jump all over the place with no concern for how the backs of my embroidered stuff look!  it's enough to worry about the front!   i'm far too lazy!  whoopie!   i've never figured out the picture thing so i'll link you to my online album.  see #5, 6, 7, and 8.  by the way, all the patterns are Sublime Stitching   Shocked  http://janeuardo.tripod.com/album/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005 07:42:58 PM by janeuardo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A grass-blade's no easier to make than an oak."
                  -James Russell Lowell
connie149th
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005 02:48:41 PM »

awww...shucks...tha nks janeuardo  Grin, you made me feel so great when you said that! your embroidery work and BACKS look awesome too! i especially liiked your T-Shirt design, it came out so nice and even! i need to do something like that for myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goddessterri
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005 04:26:41 PM »

Jenny:  is that the back to your Marianne Faithful portrait?  I was looking at on your site -- it's amazing.  What stitch did you use for her hair?  I thought it might be a stem stitch but then again.....
terri

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuluB
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005 06:42:04 AM »

i was secretly waiting to see the back of one of ms. jenny hart's pieces. 

proof that maybe the neatness of the back doesn't matter that much after all.

still, if you have any tips share them.  if you don't, no worries, just show your backs!

more backs please!
erika
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crumpet
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005 11:41:09 PM »

And now for the moment of truth...

Please look away now if you scare easily! Wink

This is the back for this piece -- http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=23226.0

In my defence, it did look much neater before I added all the really fine blue thread last -- I didn't want to knot that, as it was so fine it would have been pointless, so I just left big long tails to be safe...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005 11:43:12 PM by crumpet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

carlyleech
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2005 01:32:10 PM »

And now for the moment of truth...

Please look away now if you scare easily! Wink

crumpet... your back rocks!   it looks like a work of art in itself!!!   (the front is trs cool, too....)   thanks for sharing      Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-James Russell Lowell
eyesalight
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005 05:59:19 PM »

Hi,

Funny this thread appeared at the same time as a back question I have Smiley

I'm about to finish a really trad cutesy cross stitch and I'll post the back, but it got me wondering in cross stitch how long do you have to skip before you are officially travelling? I mean theres random stitches here and there and it seems such a waste to just stitch one stitch...I just got curious about what the old ladies would say about the proper way to do it? The instructions said that I shouldn't be skipping more than 1 inch, but to me that actually seems a lot ...

Any ideas? I mean it's not as if I'll do it but it's interesting to know.

Also that embroidery is so cool!!! I have to do something (small to suit me attention span) from the sublime stitching catalogue - you are so inspirational sublimestitcher!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is better when you're avoiding other things
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005 08:35:48 PM »

What a great thread. No pun intended. I've looked at the back of my work so many times, and felt in a weird way that it reavealed the hard work more than the front! Gosh, if you wanted to see the back of my work you only had to ask.  Roll Eyes

Crump, I just came across the Wayne piece on the Supernaturale boards. What can I say, it's amazing! It's really nice to be the subject of someone else's work.

The hair on the Marianne Faithfull portrait is just a split stitch. For me, if I have to travel more than 2 inches, I'll cut the floss. And I like to feel free working on it and don't like to stop each and every time I need to come to an end..

More! I want to see more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Embroidery Rocks! Sublime Stitching RULES.
Kits - Patterns - How 2
http://www.SublimeStitching.com

Embroidered Artwork by Jenny Hart
http://www.jennyhart.net
katiekat82

Here, kitty, kitty, kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2005 07:14:36 AM »

This is great! I will have to get a pic of the back of one of mine later today. I think I am more in line with the "don't care what the back looks like" crowd, except on the hankie I am working on now, since most of my projects are the type where the back isn't seen.

Jenny, no insult intended, but I think it is hilarious that the back of yours looks so awful! I expected to see something polished and perfected (as the front of your work) so I just laughed when I saw the threads going everywhere...  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dolly Parton is my spiritual leader, and Clint Eastwood is my sewing buddy.
LuluB
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2005 05:55:56 AM »

i just made this blanket for my friend's new baby.  here's the back:

and the front:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

carlyleech
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2005 01:23:17 AM »

LuluB... The blanket is darling and the back is pristine!  It's kind of necessary to watch your back when doing something like a blanket, though...   Roll Eyes   ...it's not so easy to hide...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-James Russell Lowell
cowgirl

I get lazy sometimes...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005 09:47:03 AM »

my backs are terrible especially compared to these! at least most things I embroider are pillows or bags with linings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rylizbeth

I don't remember...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2005 01:45:25 PM »

The backs of my rockin veggies...

Sorry the're sideways  Undecided
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011 09:10:01 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pelibem3
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2005 01:46:01 PM »

AHHHHHH those are so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2005 08:59:59 PM »

Here's the back of a project I just finished:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cowgirl

I get lazy sometimes...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2005 11:12:08 AM »

can you post the front? I would like to see it!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007 12:22:21 PM by kittykill - Reason: quoted image » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2005 04:09:09 PM »

Sure no problem!  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=24841.0

If that link doesn't work, the subject is "Swallow Tattoo photo album" in Embroidery-->finished projects
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PollyEsther
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2005 11:29:10 AM »

Wow. I had no idea such neatness was possible! This is pretty much what all my backs look like--cobwebs (so you can all feel great about your own Wink):

Front:

Back:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005 11:30:58 AM by PollyEsther » THIS ROCKS   Logged
carlyleech
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2005 11:40:26 AM »

Wow, very cool embroidery, PollyEsther!  I love the design (and it's also your avatar!)   Smiley  Where did you find it?  Did you DRAW it???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-James Russell Lowell
PollyEsther
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2005 01:41:04 PM »

Wow, very cool embroidery, PollyEsther!  I love the design (and it's also your avatar!)   Smiley  Where did you find it?  Did you DRAW it???

Sadly, no. I posted this project a while back. The b/w picture I found online, a little clip from an illuminated manuscript.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annavs
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2005 01:26:47 PM »

in cross stitch how long do you have to skip before you are officially travelling?

I've been cross-stitching for about 15 years, and I've always heard 1/4" rule--no more than 3-4 squares.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chelsea
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2005 01:57:52 PM »

heh, well I definitely break that rule.  Like the current cross stitch project I'm working on is a Santa and it's got snow on it which is a single square of white, and they're scattered all over.  What I've been doing is working on an area, I do the snow first.   That way my "travels" are covered up by the rest of the stitches where I don't travel so much.  Wink    Sometimes I'll go about an inch and a half (gasp!  Shocked lol)  but I'll travel TO that square by running the thread under back stitches, instead of running them under, cutting it off, and running it under again to start the new area.

Now that we finally have a digital camera, once I get home today I'll take a few pictures of the back of my work since I haven't posted any
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofuttibreak
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2005 03:59:36 PM »

I found this thread while I was searching for an answer to an embroidery question.
I think some of you can answer it (or at least give an opinion), so here it is:

My backs aren't the neatest in the world, but they aren't really messy either.
When I'm stitching something for myself, I never bother backing them.
What should I do if I'm making something for someone else?
I haven't mastered the art of sewing, yet...so most of what I embroider
is ready-made. I like stitching on canvas bags that I can buy at Hobby Lobby
or Michaels...do I need to try to back them with something? Or can I leave
them as is? Most of the books I have are older and insist that you MUST
have a backing or lining? Do you guys think that this is still the case?

Sorry for the thread-hijacking and long-winded question.

PS...I think messy backs make for great "character"....don't you...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laralaralaralara
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2005 07:14:38 PM »

Hey I know that this *technically* isn't what this board is about... but I just worked on something and the back looks fine... but is there anything I can coat the back with to stiffen/coat the knots so that they don't come undone in the wash, or just on their own??

Any Ideas?!?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laural
I like exclamation points!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2005 07:25:54 AM »

I always hand wash my pieces is cool/lukewarm water and use mild soap if necessary. After it is rinsed throughout then I roll it in a thick towel and press to remove excess moisture. Finally I carefully iron it while it is face down. It really makes the stitches pop.

I actually have a finished back to add!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's put the FUN back in dysfunctional!!

Wists: http://wists.com/PrincessLaural
BadBird
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2005 09:28:19 PM »

Okay, here is a history lesson.  Early European Samplers had nicely finished backs on there stitch samplers. But, in migrating to America, early settlers began to steer away from the traditional patterns for samplers, such as band samplers, and began new designs. With this came messy backs!!!  Who cares what the back looks like if it is not meant to be seen.  (if it need to be seen that is another matter)

By the way, today early American samplers are considered more valuable the Eurpean samplers. 

Its up to personal preference.

p.s. - A friend of mine just purchased a 200 year old detente (religious embroidery from Peru) and the front is beautiful, but the back is a knotted mess!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.andreazuill.com - Paintings and Embroidery
www.badbird.etsy.co m - Art Prints and Embroidery patterns
http://zuill.us/andreablog/
stargardener
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2007 12:25:47 PM »

OK...I have a dirty little secret...  Undecided
Lets see the back of your work.  I have to admit I struggle with this and try so hard to keep the back looking nice...I was wondering if you would be so kind as to show me the back of your work
1. so I don't feel so alone
2. so I can feel inspired to keep the back of my work nice and neat.

Thanks,
Theresa Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beetastic
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2007 12:29:49 PM »

Here are is an older posts where we have shown people our backside.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=21513.0

THIS ROCKS   Logged

stripey_cat
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2007 08:50:23 AM »

I'd always assumed it was because so much embroidery was for reversable uses (bands on shirts, dress flounces, linen marking etc.) that it was just good practice to not get into sloppy habits.  Plus, even on lined or single-sided work, the floating threads may shrink, or the backing wear thin enough for the threads to be visible.  I know I'm less concerned about the back of a piece that will be framed (apart from visible floats) than a piece that will be worn and laundered.

K.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
UrsulaDiamond
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2007 10:20:50 AM »

ok here are my backs! (too see the fronts check the completed project section)

in progress

THIS ROCKS   Logged

riario
:*

expecting our first!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2007 10:29:52 AM »

here's one I did, it's one of my first embroidery pieces and I was under the impression that the back is as important as the front so I was a bit afraid to start but I'm proud of how it turned out (it doesn't have much satin stitching though and I think that can get messy very easily)

the front

the back
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kylie Jenner’s Beach Haul
Fashion Haul: Gina and Jasmine Share Their Bargain Picks For Summer
DIY Idea: Embellish Shirt Collars the Cool Way
Diane Von Furstenberg Designs First Archive Collection
Samii’s Beach Fashion Haul
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...