A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,842
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mostly ornaments, and also Ralph the Wonder Llama  (Read 1012 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katiebread
« on: December 19, 2007 06:33:08 PM »

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g34/ktbread/ornamentsandralph.jpg
I did not make Ralph the Wonder Llama.  My roommate, the talented gaudiknight, knitted and felted him for me.  In her words, I saw him as a blank canvas and promptly made the blanket for him out of felt.  I'm going to put some gold sequins in the middle of the flower, but I don't have any on hand and I do not wish to venture to Wal-Mart this close to Christmas.
The ornaments in the bottom of the picture are made with Sculpey.  The Christmas tree and the candy cane were made using cookies cutters, and the rest are free-hand.  I'm going to use them as package-toppers or to decorate cards.  I wish I could varnish them, but I have nothing on hand with which to do so, and the only place within an hour of my home that would carry whatever I need is Wal-Mart.
The little mice in the top of the picture are made with walnuts from my grandparents's front yard.  The squirrels did the work of halving them neatly for me, and I have not been able to duplicate their efforts.  I might look for some more tomorrow.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g34/ktbread/HPIM1405.jpg
The Christmas tree was modeled after a mosaic thing someone posted a long time ago on the Poly Clay board.  I'm going to keep that one for me and varnish it after the holidays. Wink
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g34/ktbread/HPIM1414.jpg
Mice details.  I used them as an excuse to get some googley eyes.  Wink

Let me know what you think, especially if you know some way to halve walnuts without a Dremel tool.
(Yes, I know I am less of a woman because I do not own a Dremel tool.  I'll put it on my wedding registry.  Grin)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012 11:21:58 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
saraleigh
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007 06:37:15 PM »

great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susankg53
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007 06:51:01 PM »

great job, I would never attempt to halve a black walnut with anything. They are much too hard and I want to keep my fingers intact.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mimiw
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007 07:01:34 PM »

Fantastic!  And my dogs seems to be expert nutcrackers - every time they are in the backyard I can hear them chomping on the hickory nuts and acorns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007 01:44:15 PM »

I wish I could varnish them, but I have nothing on hand with which to do so, and the only place within an hour of my home that would carry whatever I need is Wal-Mart.

You can also finish polymer clay with things like Future or Mop 'N Glo vinyl floor polish (from grocery stores, and some drug stores, etc.), clear acrylic sealer indended for bare wood (from a hardware store), acrylic fingernail polish (not "enamel" though), clear glossy acrylic medium (art or craft store), and even thinned down permanent "white glue" like Elmer's GlueAll (available practically anywhere).

walnuts from my grandparents's front yard.  The squirrels did the work of halving them neatly for me, and I have not been able to duplicate their efforts.

Walnuts are deadly hard to halve smoothly, especially black walnuts.  Here's some info I've gathered though on the Christmas page of my website about halving them :

English walnuts are easily avilable and easiest to crack... originated in Persia but came to be known as English because the British merchant fleet carried them around the world in trade...grown mostly in California
.....black walnuts are harder to find and hard to crack (...taste wonderful but tree grown mostly for wood... native to the US, mostly in East...black walnuts leave black stains)
.......older (less fresh) walnuts do best...these seem to take on the smell of paint and taste is preferred by some)
.......soaking walnuts in water for 1/2 hour first may help
.......hold 2 in the palm of hand & squeeze against each other ...or use a nutcracker
.......OR cut easily with a band saw or Dremel cutting wheel
.......or hold in vise, and cut with small hand saw
.......or squeeze in vise, or in a trigger-type vise
.......or several cutting methods, most are complicated? http://tomclothier.hort.net/page21.html

this isn't about halving them though:
.....my Greatgrandfather had a black walnut tree ...he would put us kids to removing the husks from the black walnuts.... What he did was to give is a board with a hole in it just slightly smaller than the walnuts with the husk on... we were also given a mallet or hammer ...the trick was to put the nut over the hole and hammer it through the hole.... I was amazed the first time I did it. That nasty greenish black husk just came right off..... (but if you leave the nuts lying around, the husk eventually splits and can be peeled off, at least that's what is happening to the nuts out in our parking area). J. Smith

(from http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/Christmas.htm)

HTH,

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe
How to Make Oyster Dressing
How to Make New Orleans Gumbo
How to Make San Francisco Sourdough Bread
How to Prepare Traditional Mardi Gras Food
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...