A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,741
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First ever freezer paper stencil...meh. (tutorial added)  (Read 3460 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« on: December 19, 2007 06:01:58 PM »

no really, that's what it says. ha ha

so i read some tutorials here, gathered up all the supplies

cut the stencil and mixed some acrylic paint and textile medium

sponged it on

and voila! Teh perfect xmas gift for my crochety younger brother. if he doesn't like this i guess i don't know him at all  Tongue.

he's gonna love it.

those of you who posted the dumbed down turtorials i can't THANK YOU enough! i never would have done it if you hadn't made it look so darn easy. it was a cinch! i'll be stencilling everything now, i'm sure!

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007 07:24:58 PM by MonkeyThumb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
!b
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007 06:31:38 PM »

I am so intimidated by stenciling!
Yours turned out great!

Can I ask you which tutorial you used (ie: the dumbed down one) I think I may need something like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blustar
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007 06:34:00 PM »

That is so cool! What tutorial(s) did you use? I'd really like to try stenciling but i have a hard time grasping concepts...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007 07:23:25 PM »

oh my gosh, it could NOT be any easier! i swear, it was the simplest thing i have ever done. the tutorials i read are in this forum in the faq and intro stickies but i can write a tutorial right here.

i bought reynolds freezer paper from the grocery store. if you can't find it ask someone who works there, it's pretty common. it looks like a thicker, white version of that pinky brown butcher paper they wrap cheese and meat in at the deli.
i got the acrylic paint from the dollar store and i know walmart has it and also textile medium which you mix with the acrylic so that it sticks to the fabric without cracking and can be thrown in the washer.

get these supplies together:
freezer paper
pencil or pen, ruler if you need it
exacto knife
acrylic paint
textile medium
paint brush or sponge
piece of cardboard
iron
shirt or whatever fabric you want to stencil on to.

i drew out my design on paper and then i cut out some freezer paper and since i don't have a light table my big trick is to hold my drawing on a sunny window with the freezer paper on top of it so i can see through it and trace the design onto the freezer paper.

this is the ONLY tricky part. cut out the design with the exacto blade. don't cut yourself and don't cut outside the lines. just go slow. i put the freezer paper down on top of the cardboard for this so i didn't cut up the table underneath.
if you have a free floating bit like the centre of my "E" just cut that out and set it aside. don't lose it in your scraps though  Wink. keep a picture of your original design handy if you need it to see where those bits should go.

ok, now place the stencil shiny side down on your fabric and press it with a warm iron for a few seconds (just press, don't move the iron back and forth). it will stick right on but don't worry, it peels right off again later on and doesn't leave any residue behind. if you have any of those free floating pieces (like the centre of my "E") place them where you want them now and press them to stick them down.

put the piece of cardboard inside your shirt so no paint soaks through to the other side.
now mix your paint and textile medium together (i used a toothpick for that) and sponge it onto the fabric (you can use a paintbrush for this step if you prefer).
let it dry for a while and when it is dry enough (not sticky at all) that it won't smudge peel the freezer paper off, including any free floating bits though you may want to lift the edges of those up with a pin or fine tweezers to avoid any possible smudging.

at this point you can heat set the paint by turning the shirt inside out and ironing the stencil with a hot iron (cotton setting but you might want to patch test your fabric or at least read the care instructions first) for 20 seconds. for this step i put the cardboard back inside the shirt so there wasn't any chance of paint transfer.

my textile medium says to wait for 7 days before laundering and to wash in cold and hang to dry to prevent fading.

go for it! if i can do it, you can do it too! believe me, i am a total novice and i found this one of the easiest crafts to do.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008 11:18:37 PM by MonkeyThumb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

thriftjunkie

if patience started a band, i'd be her biggest fan

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007 08:29:07 PM »

um, do we have the same crochety younger brother? mine says "meh" all the time, too...AND i'm stenciling him a tee for xmas! how weird...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007 06:23:33 AM »

hee hee hee! trade ya! not that we'd like eachother's better but it might be a nice change this xmas.

mine's coming out of it a bit now that he's 26  Roll Eyes he might be growing up, finally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

!b
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007 09:19:23 AM »

Thanks so much for the instructions! I'm going to try it out tonight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thriftjunkie

if patience started a band, i'd be her biggest fan

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007 02:48:40 PM »

i finished the shirt for my personal mr. crochety!!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=215679.msg2319923#msg2319923
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Numb1
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012 03:13:05 PM »

thanks for the dumbed down tut. I've been having a hell of a time trying stenciling out. I got lost when I watched a quick how to....boy was it a really quick load of nothing valuable in the info Dept. I went from there and ruined a work shirt.... good thing they're crappy tees anyway. thank you sooooooo much!
I'm so glad my niece turned me on to this site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Paul Yoon on the Inspiration for Snow Hunters
Gabrielle Reece on Why Exercise Is the Answer to Everything
Gabrielle Reece on Finding Balance
Author Gabrielle Reece’s Tips on Marriage
How to Use Deadlines to Achieve Writing Goals
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...