A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Woe be unto the lowly cross-stitcher  (Read 4294 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008 07:23:15 PM »

I thought Jenny Hart did one-maybe it was just an interview
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beetastic
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008 10:41:45 PM »

I know she did an interview.  I will have to look and see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucykate
lucykate crafts...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008 02:36:27 PM »

it is true that the number of people who do cross stitch is on a decline.  i worked as a designer for a company here in the uk that manufacture cross stitch kits amongst others, under the brand name of anchor, for years, the sales figures were struggling, everyone was knitting instead!!

but just as i left, sales were on the up again, at least here in the uk.  i recently took part in a craft pattern book, called 'making stuff for kids', by black dog publishing, and wrote the how to cross stitch section, which i was really glad to be asked to do, in the hope that it may get the younger generation stitching again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

foreverdragon
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008 04:26:59 AM »

It's true that crafting goes on cycles and at the moment cross stitch is in decline. It's very upsetting when you save for months to go to the one big craft fair we have here only to find that there's only a handful of cross stitch stalls and everything else is scrapbooking or jewellery making or when your favourite cross stitch magazine suddenly becomes  "Stitch and Craft" and then folds. However. though the decline of popularity means that getting supplies from craft shops is very difficult (especially here in South Wales) it also means that car boot sales and charity shops are full of discarded Stitch stuff. I got 4 brilliant pattern  books for 1 yesterday. And as already been said the Net is a great place to find patterns. Cross stitch will be popular again and it'll be the knitters or paper crafters complaining about the lack of resources for their craft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008 06:37:44 AM »

That's a good idea, actually.  There's a thrift store not far from me - I've never shopped there, but I've donated stuff.  Maybe I'll check there.

Also, I just checked my library's online card catalog, and they have cross stitch books.  I've got a few books to return anyway - it's as good an excuse as any Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sonjabegonia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008 02:38:12 PM »

I love cross stitching!  This was the first craft I learned as a little girl, so have now been cross-stitching for over 25 years (wow, I feel old saying that). 

I must admit that I go through cross-stitching phases and have been more focused on crewel embroidery over the past few months.  However, I always drift back to cross-stitch and it's the medium where I'm most comfortable tackling large, difficult projects.

For kits/patterns, I enjoy sifting through ebay for vintage kits from the '70s.  Whenever I run across a now-rare Ben Franklin store (usually in small towns in Minnesota while on vacation), I can also usually find something.  I also love Herrschnerr's for all sorts of things.

Happy stitching!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Twitter - @snelsonchi
independentlulu
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2008 03:13:49 PM »

Cross stitching was my first craft at the age of seven and I keep coming back to it.  I was just looking through the resource thread and found some great online stores to help me with my fix.  I have had horrible luck trying to find items locally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anchorpoot
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2008 09:41:42 AM »

I got a cross stitch book at a used book store.  Of course it had semi-lame patterns, but the finishing techniques and such were still good.  Personally, I think I'm getting addicted to the idea of celebrity portraits.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008 09:43:00 AM by anchorpoot » THIS ROCKS   Logged
leahwoo9
Woohoo - my etsy!

Does this smell like chloroform to you?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008 02:04:34 AM »

I normally just sell my patterns online.  I used to make up kits years ago but the time and effort you need to put into a kit is very disheartening!! 

BUT, I recently did a local craft fair and put together kits of my one color designs and was sooooo surprised at how well they were received!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://woohoocrossstitch.etsy.com  My g-rated store

http://crotchstitch.etsy.com  My x-rated store (beware!)
sophali
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008 10:18:37 PM »

I'm new here and totally identify! I just started cross-stitch again (I loved it as a girl) because I needed something to do that was non-computer related. Anyway, I am so hungry for some fresh designs and also some ways to make my own designs. Maybe this just means we'll be able to ride the crest when cross-stitch becomes hot again?  Smiley I'd love a podcast...if that idea is still on the table (I know this thread is old).

Anyway, two weeks ago when I decided to dive back in I went to my local Walmart (the only store in my small town). Two aisles of sewing, knitting and beading....and nothing for cross-stitch! Not even any needlepoint! I was shocked. Thank goodness my mom is a crafting pack rat and had some Aida and tons of thread. I'm practicing on my early 80s cheesy designs that she gave me...but I need something new!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Recipe for a Tofu Scramble Dish
How to Break the Cycle of Junk Food
Cholesterol Free Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe
Wholegrain Pancakes with Veggie Sausage and Peppers Recipe
Healthy Tasty Treats Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...