A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
357 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing machines, a buyers guide  (Read 45457 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jb7764
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2012 10:29:41 PM »

I want to learn to sew, but can't figure out what machine I should get, where to buy it, or what I should spend for a beginning machine.

One problem I have is that I've read somewhere on this forum that some of the cheaper machines by good brands aren't really the true quality that we'd expect from those brands because they are making machines to fit within a certain price range requested by the store selling it. Does that include Amazon? I have been looking at http://www.amazon.com/Brother-CP-6500-Computerized-Sewing-Machine/dp/B0039YOVRW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1326695090&sr=8-9 but I don't know that it will be good quality because of where it would be purchased from.

Another problem I have is that I want to be sure to get a machine that can handle slightly tougher projects. I don't know what exactly I plan to do, but if I want to layer up some fabrics or hem/patch up (or maybe make a pair) of jeans, then I don't want a machine that can't handle it even with the proper needle/tension. I can't imagine me trying to work with anything tougher then denim though. Should I expect any machine to be able to do this, such as linked above, or will I have to hope I choose a machine that can do it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FantasticPlanet
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2012 01:54:13 AM »

I just recently bought my first sewing machine.  I researched and researched and researched and figured I wanted at least a few things in my machine. 

A few things I looked for:

Adjustable stitch length - handy if you'll be sewing with a lot of different fabrics
Ability to lower feed dogs - in case I want to learn free motion quilting
A machine with at least a couple stretch stitches - I heart cotton jersey
A free arm - for hemming, it's a bitch enough already
Adjustable speed - so I can floor it on the straight parts and slow down around curves as needed
A full sized heavy machine - so it doesn't bounce around
A newish machine - so it wouldn't be a total pain to get parts if something happened

Then I listened to everyone's advice about getting a first machine, took my wants with me to a local sewing machine store, and checked out what used machines they had in stock.  They happened to have something that fit all my wants at a price I couldn't pass up.  If I can't figure something out, I can take it in and the lady will teach me how to do it.  Anytime.  For free.  Amazon won't do that.  Wink

So that's my advice.  Read about things you think you might like to do.  See what features make that possible/easy.  Then head to a brick and mortar store.  Sit, sew, talk, ask questions, learn, and hopefully buy if you find something you're comfortable with. 

PS, that Brother machine is available at Wal-Mart for the same price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2012 06:29:50 AM »

I've found that second hand is often the best deal going, you can really find great stuff at the thrift store.
I just scored a metal body (to me that means it's old and was undoubtedly made so much more durable than something new) Kenmore 12 stitch. Basic stuff but it's going to run like a tank and probably last longer than I will. And at $45 with a 20% off coupon it was a steal! Servicing at a local place costs about $80 if I have a problem but this will be my back up machine so I'm confidant it will do what I need it to. I'm so thrilled.
A friend has a brand new in the box Janome she's never used too, got it as a gift years ago. She looked it up and it's a $700 machine that she'll let me have for $200, I'm going to grab that awesome deal too. I've got a friend with a fairly new Janome that gives her endless problems and is really hard to have serviced for some reason. Does not lend a lot of confidence in buying new for me, I've lost faith in the quality of things from a manufacturing level on up, I really have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
misschelle
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2012 07:07:31 PM »

Hi all!

I have always wanted to learn how to sew things such as clothes, bunting, cushion covers, purses, etc. So, I've finally decided to learn. I have ordered some books to learn from and now I need a sewing machine and kit.

Can you tell me what kind of sewing machine I should get as a beginner? I have no previous knowledge of sewing machines at all so I don't know what I'm looking for and there seems to be thousands of different machines to choose from so I am pretty confused!

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simplyfussfree
yay, wists!

I'm the dumb looking one on the right.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2012 12:21:54 AM »

Hi,

I used to sew a fair amount, but haven't in years. I want to get started again. I mainly want an easy to use machine that can sew through somewhat thick fabric (a couple of layers of jean, etc.). I was looking at the Jenome HD1000. Does anyone have any opinions on this machine, or advice about it? It's $270 new.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EssieField
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2012 12:53:48 PM »

UPDATED 12/ 19/ 07 **Bumping for relevence**

So the craftopedia is down for a bit, but I figure we can start here & when it is ready get our lovely mods to move it.

I do not pretend to know everything about every machine, or even everything about my own machine, I look for good commentary from you other experienced folks which I will incorporate into the original post with proper credit Smiley

I do know how to recognize a good machine, and I'm a pretty good comparative shopper. Smiley

Begin:
Buying a sewing machine is like buying a car, your level of skill, mechanical needs and budget dictate what you get in your machine. Sewing machines vary in price and quality much like cars. Bernina = Mercedez-Benz, Janome = Toyota, Kenmore = Buick, Pfaff = Volvo, Viking/ Husqvarna = Volkswagon. (Ok, most of the countries didn't line up perfectly, meh)
Knowing the reputation of the brand you are looking at, as well as recent reviews of quality  for the specific model is important. If it's a good machine you will be using it a lot, if it's a poor machine you will not get far fast.

Some people have Hyundais and love them, some people wouldn't be caught dead in them. The middle of the road brands of Singer and Brother sort of fall into the Hyundai category.

So, to use the analogy above, would you rather have a gently used Mercedes? or a brand new Yugo?

Would you buy a car without driving it? Why buy a sewing machine someplace you can't try it out?

When you buy a car from the dealership there is an assurance of staff who can maintain your car correctly, any time down the road, same goes for a sewing machine store/ department within a store. Walmart has no service department, nor does Target. (don't get me wrong, I shop at both frequently, but not for sewing machines).

Like automotive companies, most sewing machine companies have levels or classes of the same thing. Or like Kenmore* & Husquavarna are divisions of larger companies that manufacture all kinds of stuff. Many Sewing exclusive companies have huge numbers of products, accesories and specialized optional components.

* The Kenmore name is owned by Sears, they actually choose products from other companies that meet their standards and make a deal to put Kenmore on the front. It's still good stuff and has the Sears reputation & service to back it up.

So Nitty Gritty:
Never sewn but want to learn how- what should I buy?
This is what you need from your machine:

- straight stitch
- zig zag stitch
- reverseable stitching (most have a button or lever to do this, it's not a setting)
- a light on the machine
- bobbin winder
- foot pedal
- sturdy enough body that if it gets tripped over while sitting on the floor an adult's shoe won't crack the housing
- solid/ well placed footing or base so the machine does not rock or slide while sewing

Sewn some, learning more, want to do knits/ bags/ delicate garments/etc.

You now need all of the above and:
- a stretch stitch
- a zipper foot
- a button hole function
- an applique or other wide foot
- a walking foot if quilting is a goal
- ability to drop the feed dogs if quilting is a goal

Brands that are generally considered good used:
Singers over 15 years old (American built models)
Kenmore
Bernina
Viking/ Husqvarna
Janome that are less than 10 years old (Japanese built models)
Pfaff

Country of origin & general statistics on service:

Bernina: Switzerland, has US based service company for big repairs. Excellent warranty. Many Authorized Dealers around the US, if you want a new one  it's worth looking into these official stores. Pretty much the Mercedez of sewing machines, parts don't come cheap but they last so long you don't need to buy parts very often. Last sewing machine company world wide that is still owned & run by the original family. Budget line is called Bernette, seen as low as $US 199 on sale.

Pfaff: Germany, does not have US base for  large repair service. Many Authorized Dealers across the US. Excellent warranty. Many put Pfaff in the same category as Bernina, a hair cheaper than Bernina. If Bernina = Mercedez, then Pfaff = Audi. Budget lines are Hobby and Smart.

Viking/ Husqvarna: Sweden. {need more info} Budget line is called Huskystar.

Janome: Japan, does not have US base for large repairs. Many Authorized Dealers across the US. Much younger company than most, but like Toyota and many other Japanese brands, have quickly established themselves as reliable machines. Budget lines are Florals and Gem Gold.

Singer: Until 19XX(eighty something?- need more research) American, still owned American but now produced elsewhere.

White: American. Has been around nearly as long as Singer. Long reputation as being good sturdy basic machines, does not manufacture as many higher end or fancy machines. Does produce Sergers and commercial machines as well.

Elna: German? Less popular in the US, I think more popular across Europe (chime in please, sisters across the pond Smiley ). High quality, non-beginner machines. Harder to find Authorized Service in the US.
{{ will come back to this soon!}}

** So I did some research, no wonder everybody looking is asking about Brother & Singer, that's all I could find with prices attatched!! The market is flooded with Singer & Brother machines, every discount wholesaler on the net has dozens of each! Which really should speak for itself, if those machines were selling in the original stores, there wouldn't be so many at the second tier sales places, right?

Thank you for this I really needed it!!
Okay, so I really want to start sewing and plan on taking classes and practicing. I took note of all the above and here are my preferences or what might be best for me.

I'm new to sewing and based on the above I will definitely need
the straight stitch
a zig zag stitch

reverseable stitching (most have a button or lever to do this, it's not a setting)

A light on the machine
And lastly:

bobbin winder
foot pedal
Sturdy enough body that if it gets tripped over while sitting on the floor an adult's shoe won't crack the housing
- solid/ well placed footing or base so the machine does not rock or slide while sewing"

All as SpottedFrog stated for a newbie sewer. I want to be sure to mention that I want a mechanical machine and I aspire to making dresses (red carpet stuff and evening dresses and gowns are my dream and maybe costumes...I don't know if I'll do anything around the house too but maybe?) I thought a Bernina (it's a 'Mercedes' as SpottedFrog stated) would be perfect.

I read that their only mechanical machine is the 1008 but there are NO Bernina dealers near me and I don't have a car. I'm closer to some Janome dealers and even closer to a single Pfaff dealer. So I think what I want now is Pfaff. That way I'd be able to get to them and check out the machine in person.

I should also mention that I'm open to their budget lines as well and hopefully more metal than plastic but I'll take what I can get as long as it sturdy and durable and I can learn on it.

I do want a machine that will grow with me too so I can add or have what spotted frog recommended for someone who has progressed and sewn a little (unless it would prove to be too overwhelming at first or too much than I'll take the above mentioned just fine!)

So, based on all that does anyone have any recommendations? What models should I first look at? Again, I'm thinking of Janome or Pfaff as well as their budget lines but I am most likely going to get a Pfaff. I would like to thank everyone in advance for their suggestions! I really appreciate it Smiley And thanks to this wonderful thread I have a checklist I can use when I shop! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dana Wolf
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2012 10:16:07 PM »

I've been sewing for about 20 years now and I think I'm qualified to give advice on what you need in a sewing machine.  The average person will probably only need a machine that has adjustable needle position, basic stitch options, buttonhole, zipper and blind hem foot attachments, easy to use bobbin winder and extra bobbin casings.  Make sure the machine is well built, with todays machines, you can get all of this for under $200. 

I wouldn't think most people would need automatic threading mechanisms, built-in electronic embroidery system, complex stitches (overlocking or extra embroidery), computerized controls, one-step buttonhole maker or thread thickness options.  Frugal5.com is a neat site that determines the best cost effective machines.  They claim that the SINGER 4411 Heavy Duty and SINGER 3323S Talent 23-Stitch provide the best value at http://www.frugal5.com/Best-Sewing-Machine-For-The-Money
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lyns quilts
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2013 05:31:51 PM »

If you can afford to spend a lot on an expensive sewing machine,go for it, I couldn't to begin with and now I wouldn't . 25 years ago I went to Sears and paid $100 for a new Kenmore sewing machine. It worked great for me for 10 years. Then I wanted one with more stitches to make quilts. So I bought a Brother machine for $150 (new) from WalMart. I have used it for the last 15 years and it is still working great after 60 quilts. My daughter got the Kenmore when I bought my Brother and she is still using it . The key is regular maintenance,keep it in a safe place and covered when not in use. I'm getting ready to buy another Brother when I find one with a bigger bed for my quilt blocks.Don't judge some of those basic sewing machines by the price tags. Price doesn't determine value and quality.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2013 11:00:41 AM »

Why cover it, I'm wondering? I have never done this and I've had the same janome straight stitch and serger for years. I do dust and oil regularly and have them serviced but they are never covered up, not even when not in use for a couple of months at a time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2013 11:03:09 AM »

I think it's for the dust.  I know my MIL's machine just sits in her closet for years at a time.  If she didn't cover it, the dust would be monumental.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Sweater Styles For Fall
The TV Wardrobes We Want to Raid This Fall
Jameelah Booker Unveils Her New Jacket Line at NYFW Spring 2014
3 Nonsurgical Ways to Boost Your Booty
2013 Emmys Fashion Predictions Revealed
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...