A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing machines, a buyers guide  (Read 43936 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wowow
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008 11:40:13 AM »

most of the  brands mentioned should be unavailable. i only know brother. singer. jamone, sakura is available here with some sort of support in repair n servicing.

i am a novice to handling sewing machine ......hmn i'm not thinking of embroidery on a wedding dress but giving an example of what i am thinking of doing with a sewing machine. as in doing 'that kind' of embroidery on a dress/bag/shirt.

i am now wondering should i get a mid range machine first n then later invest on a good embroidery machine if my interest is still there .... but the other side of me is telling myself that a machine that does embroidery (even basic ones) will most probably make me more interested in making my own clothes etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008 11:53:44 AM »

Ah- personally I'm a big fan of Bernina & Janome, my new machine is a fancy schmancy Janome Smiley

As someone who has used commercial embroidery machines, I unfortunately compare all the ones I see to those in flaxibility & range, etc.

There are some middle-ground machines with basic embriodery options, but the thing is they are usually pretty limited. If you want to put a Cinderella on a bag for cute factor they are great, if you want to create your own designs, forget it- only the higher end machines have that flexibility. And by higher end I mean at least $1000US including software.

You might be surprised by what you can do with a 'regular' sewing machine, even pretty basic models often have a few pretty stitches on them these days. I say get a good quality regular machine & learn to sew with it. If machine embriodery just won't stop calling you invest in a second machine for the embroidery features when the time comes. A lot of people who do significant amounts of embroidery still use their regular machines a lot, party due to how long it takes for the embroidery to get done, sometimes 10-15 minutes for a single design, you could hem a whole skirt in the same amount of time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheSapphireMoon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008 12:22:48 PM »

Now that I have my machine out and am using it again I wanted to ask this question...

My mother bought me this machine when I was ?12 I don't really remember.  The name on the front of it says Sonata and my mom says it is a Singer line.  Is that true?  Does anyone know?  I Googled it and found both information on Brother and Singer...I don't know the model number on it offhand and I am at work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ ♥ Zoe ♥ ~

In need of rainbow fabrics for a Teesha Moore tote, PM me to swap!

ETSY
http://thesapphiremoon.etsy.com
PINTEREST
http://www.pinterest.com/thesapphiremoon

Shop The Swap 62
50 Projects 2012
Wowow
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2008 08:24:02 AM »

hi hi, i am back again. hehe

i called up Janome today (well, its pretty unknown here in my country? I can even spell it wrong!) to check on what model they will recommend to me...

the lady recommend either the 18WLE http://www.gotcsin.com/18wle.html selling at abt USD$400-450 here and 6260QC ard USD600+ http://www.janome.com/documents/File/Brochures/6260QC_Brochure.pdf

Thats the price quoted during promotion....

I see that 18WLE has only abt 18stiches while 6260QC has 60stitches. Comparing the price to Brother, its like comparing

Janome 6260QC VS Brother Innovis 50. Pricing range is about the same but Janome is slightly another USD80-100+ different? The stiches wise, Brother has additional alphabets fonts. 135 stitches to be exact.

Now I'm stuck. Janome stitches some of them look pretty nicer than Brother. Is it easy to deal with Janome machine for a newbie? The tension etc, do i have to fix it?

The lady is recommending 6260QC because of quilting. Hmn what is quilting? Its like putting one soft sponge like material in between 2 clothes and sew on it? I'm not keen on that but I'm thinking of bags (simple ones) & also curtains, jeans. Can I use that on these type of home sewing machine? So unless i do Quilting, its not wise to get this model?

She has also told me that in order to do my own embrodery etc (later on), I have to get a machine thats like USD2500 at least and then another USD800++ or maybe 1000+ for the software for doing my own embroidery. WOW. Thats Steep!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2008 11:45:53 AM »

Bags & jeans seem simple but they qualify as heavy duty sewing, thick fabrics & often a lot of layers- that's why she's reccomending a quilting oriented model to you- it's a heavy duty machine. I have a Quilters edition machine even though I only do the occasional baby quilt, but I do a lot of bags and costumes with heavy or thick materials including vinyl & foam. Quilting machines have tougher gears and higher torque in their motors (ask any car guy you know to explain torque if you don't know that term).

Of course the sales lady is going to reccomend a more expensive machine! It's her job! Janome has a more basic model geared for heavy duty sewing called the Jean Machine, runs roughly $200 US. That model is much more beginner friendly while still giving you the torque to sew jeans & bags.
 Yeah I tried to warn you, embroidery machines are not cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wowow
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2008 12:18:56 PM »

Grin  yup, i know from yr post abt the software but i thought can make do without it. haha. thats what i called novice/newbie checking things ard. i actually called up the distributor today and see where to see demo etc and to ask qn to let me search for infor online.

i will note down what u have said and hopefully i have time to drop by the store tomorrow. when i tried the 'find my machine' etc from the janome site, it said craft 11000 or 1000? the latest model and i just casually check with the lady and we cant help laughing esp when i indicated my price range as mid range or lower n yet, the site recommend such a high end model for me!  Tongue Even the lady over the phone said the site is pushing high end models to customer.

anyway, really thank u for yr help & explaination! i just hope that the promoter is in tomorrow .... the only prob now is to get which model and to get it now or in july when we have sales ard my small country.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KimberlyD
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008 07:29:56 AM »

Thanks for this post it has definitly helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xangomommy
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2008 10:49:43 PM »

Does anyone know about Euro-pro machines?

I got a refurbished Euro-pro shark for 39.99 at a discount store around christmas time

it has several stitch types and came with lots of accessories

I just can't find any reviews anywhere and I'd like to get an idea of how long it is going to last me

I recently sold a Euro Pro that was in great condition because the repairguy warned me that should it have problems, he didn't think it would be worth fixing. I didn't want to be the one to break it since I'm a beginner. I sold it to a woman who sews alot and needed a variety of stitches. She loved it.

By the way, thanks for this useful thread.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008 10:53:10 PM by xangomommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fromvenuswithlove
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2008 08:22:28 PM »

great thread.....I think its really important that you're able to find an authorised repairer in your area (i think sewing machines are one of the few things in our throw away society that are actually made to be repaired).......for those in Australia, a Janome is good choice as its got some ridiculously high percentage of the market and so even at the end of the earth (canberra Cheesy) you'll find someone who knows how to fix it

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrskimmyl
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2008 04:14:43 PM »

Thank you for this post! I'm going to ask my mom for a sewing machine for Christmas & this has helped a lot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Recognize a Good Scene in Theater Directing
How to Audition Using Sides
How to Audition Online
How to Get a Cast for a Film
How to Deal with Nerves During an Audition
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...