A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Baking; Ideas Needed!  (Read 4990 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Disdain
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007 04:27:29 PM »

My Mom makes every kind of cookie you can imagine, and my sister-in-law has been doing Truffles.  So this year I decided on biscotti and cranberry bread.  My sister-in-law is also allergic to nuts (found in most biscotti) so I found this wonderfully Christmas-y flavor that she can eat.

Gingerbread Biscotti

Makes 2 to 2 1/2 dozen.

1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup finely minced candied ginger (optional)
White chocolate coating (optional) for decoration

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl beat together butter and sugar until there are no lumps of sugar.
Beat in the eggs, then blend in the molasses.
Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Blend until smooth. Fold in the almonds (and candied ginger if using).
Divide the dough in half onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Spray your hands generously with nonstick spray (dough will be sticky) and form each half into a log about three or four inches wide and one inch high. Place them two inches apart. Bake dough for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Lower oven temperature to 300 degrees F.

Cool logs for 10 minutes on the sheet, then transfer to a cutting board. With a serrated knife, cut each log into one-half-inch slices. Place the slices cut-side down on baking sheet and return to oven to toast. Remove after 10 minutes and flip all of the cookies over. Toast an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

Optional white chocolate coating: Melt coating or white chocolate chips according to package directions. Dip cookies halfway into coating, or use a spoon to drizzle quickly back and forth. Let set completely before storing.

*Note:  I've made this 4 times this year already (My husband can't keep his hands off it!) and I don't split the dough into two logs as the recipe directs you to.  They seem to make awfully small logs and tiny biscotti.  This recipe really is easy.  I've been making this without the almonds or the crystallized ginger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Faithism
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007 08:04:11 AM »

I always end up doing ALL of the Christmas baking in my house (my sister/dad are lazy and my mum cannot bake to save her life) so I'm constantly looking for new Christmas recipes. As far as cookies are going this year, I've gotten most of my recipes/ideas off of cooking websites (my favourite, as horrible as this may sound, is MarthaStewart.com...she really does know how to bake a darn good cookie), as well as watching the Food Network (by far my favourite channel.)

Cookies Planned for this year:
-Sugar Cookies (a Christmas essential as far as I am concerned)
-Candy-Striped Cookie Sticks (think those really thin, brittle cookie tubes that are usually chocolate/hazelnut flavour...they're like those...marthastewart.com)
-Fig Swirl cookies (I love figs...these are a little less-traditional....found on epicurious.com)
-Maple sugar cookies
-Cranberry Shortbreads (I think I'm making shortbreads as well)
-Almond Spice Butter Cookies (also on epicurious.com)

Thats the rough list. Might change. I'm starting to bake next week and I am certainly excited. Hope I've inspired/given you some good ideas.

http://www.marthastewart.com/  > Food > Holiday Recipes > Christmas
http://www.epicurious.com/  > Recipes and Menus > Holidays > Christmas

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007 07:02:27 PM »

Disdain, I just made your gingerbread biscotti, and they ROCK (and so do you for posting that fab recipe!)  I plan to drizzle white chocolate on them, and then dot them with red hots -- yum!  Thanks again for posting it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

metaphysical_muse
Beets. Bears. Battlestar Galactica.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007 11:25:07 AM »

The Barefoot Contessa's Pecan Bars. I made these for the x-mas party at work last year and they were legendary. People are still talking about them a year later (and I made them again for this years party). The recipe makes a ton, so there is plenty for gifts. Beware- the recipe calls for A LOT of butter (2.25 lbs to be exact), but it makes an 18x20 pan and they're very rich so I cut them into tiny squares.

Here's the recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_34777,00.html

This year I'm going to drizzle them with chocolate instead of dipping the bar and add a sprinkle of kosher salt on top (because salted caramel is the best thing ever).

I still have to make Chocolate Crackle Cookies, Rum-Currant Shortbread, and my new favorite Gingerbread (with Guinness). Whew! How long until x-mas??

Good luck with the holiday baking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RosiePosie
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007 02:11:06 PM »

I plan to start my Christmas baking this weekend.
I'm not making to much since I have no family in town to give it to. Most of it will go to hubby's coworkers and to a few of our friends.
I'm making chocolate fudge, sugar cookies (i'm using a store-bought mix), and Christmas Peepers. I LOOOVE the Christmas Peepers, I used to make them every year with my mom. I've been living 3 states away from my parents for 4 years now so making these always brings back good memories.  I haven't made this fudge recipe yet, but it has lots of good reviews.

Christmas Peepers
Ingredients:
  64 miniature marshmallows
  3 cups flour
  1 teaspoon soda
  1 teaspoon salt
  2/3 cup cocoa
  2 eggs
  1/2 cup crisco
  1/2 cup butter or margarine
  1 cup sugar
  1/2 cup brown sugar
  1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
Place marshmallows in freezer while you mix the dough. Cream crisco, butterand sugar. Blend in the eggs and the vanilla. Add dry ingredients, mix until moistened. Work with hands till mixture holds together. Flatten walnut size pieces in palm of hand. Remove the marshmallows from freezer, and place one in center. Shape dough around the marshmallow, Roll in sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 6 minutes.

--RosiePosie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avian Flight
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007 05:00:24 PM »

I plan to start my Christmas baking this weekend.
I'm not making to much since I have no family in town to give it to. Most of it will go to hubby's coworkers and to a few of our friends.
I'm making chocolate fudge, sugar cookies (i'm using a store-bought mix), and Christmas Peepers. I LOOOVE the Christmas Peepers, I used to make them every year with my mom. I've been living 3 states away from my parents for 4 years now so making these always brings back good memories.  I haven't made this fudge recipe yet, but it has lots of good reviews.

Christmas Peepers
Ingredients:
  64 miniature marshmallows
  3 cups flour
  1 teaspoon soda
  1 teaspoon salt
  2/3 cup cocoa
  2 eggs
  1/2 cup crisco
  1/2 cup butter or margarine
  1 cup sugar
  1/2 cup brown sugar
  1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
Place marshmallows in freezer while you mix the dough. Cream crisco, butterand sugar. Blend in the eggs and the vanilla. Add dry ingredients, mix until moistened. Work with hands till mixture holds together. Flatten walnut size pieces in palm of hand. Remove the marshmallows from freezer, and place one in center. Shape dough around the marshmallow, Roll in sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 6 minutes.

--RosiePosie

hey rosieposie, do you happen to have a picture of christmas peepers? they sound amazing but i can't picture what they look like. =) and how many does that recipe make? thanks!

i love biscotti, i think i'm making a batch or two again this year. planning a lot of cupcakes too because i don't usually bake cookies (2 sticks of butter per batch?!!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
Disdain
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007 06:49:18 AM »

Disdain, I just made your gingerbread biscotti, and they ROCK (and so do you for posting that fab recipe!)  I plan to drizzle white chocolate on them, and then dot them with red hots -- yum!  Thanks again for posting it!

I'm glad you liked it.  My husband has requested a SIXTH batch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2007 06:57:13 AM »

one dish we make is death by chocolate.
Basically all you need is 2 boxes of chocolate cake, some chocolate pudding(I'd say about 2-3 boxes-instant) , a tub of cool whip, and a few oreos.

bake the cakes, make pudding and crush oreos.

layer them starting with pudding,then whipped cream, then cake, do this until your container is full. the last layer should be cool whip. then sprinkle on the oreos.

you can actually make a diabetic version using sugar free cool whip and sugar free pudding. They have a diabetic boxed cake that  we use and you can always leave the oreos off.
I love this dessert and there is never any left at the end of christmas.
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teltirion
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2007 09:11:24 AM »

has anybody tried hard candy packaging for their cookies? I made a bowl and a round cover out of hard candy (howto: here, all the way on the bottomhttp://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_recipes_cookies_candy/article/0,,HGTV_3173_1534281,00.html but the mint didn't mesh too well with the chocolate crinkles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Clay Beads
How to Make Glass Bead Bracelets
Handmade Portraits: Ayşegül & Sebahat
How to Make Rocker Chain Link Jewelry
How to Make a Nude Color Block Necklace
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #107 Announced – Bottle It Up
Spotlight on: Knitting, Patterns Included
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...