A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,796
Currently Running With Scissors:
749 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sewing gifts for b-day parties - I have anxiety!  (Read 3914 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2007 01:23:26 PM »

fantastic ideas, y'all!  Now I can't wait to be invited to another birthday (especially since I've had so much fun watching my handmade gifts being opened so far during the holidays - total gratification when they get excited about it, almost drug like...)

Ahem.  Anway,
Ppl think I am a grade A weirdo on both side of the table...
story of my life...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magpie0816
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2007 05:09:00 PM »

Ppl think I am a grade A weirdo on both side of the table...
story of my life...

Viva los wierdos!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One of a Kind Fused Glass Jewelry
Shop Dye Lot Collective http://www.dyelotcollective.etsy.com
http://www.dyelotcollective.com
dancingrabbit
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2008 10:08:16 PM »

Chiming in as late as I dare...  I did pajamas for 10 ppl this year, and they were well received.  There are sooo many cute flannels out there, I couldn't resist - plus they're so quick to make.   Wink  I also did 2 blanket-bag-nap things that went over better with the moms than the kids.  I wish I'd done some goofy hats or something too.

I really think clothes are a fine idea, especially dress-up items that can be worn for many years.

How about play food?  My son is big into felt food. 

In AL where football is a 2nd religion for many, you can't go wrong with logo anything.  Though heaven help the one who gives Alabama stuff to an Auburn fan...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrAzYhOuSe
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2008 11:46:31 AM »

Ok I didn't read all the responses but I feel your pain. When my son started school 3 years ago the invites came in like crazy. I knew some of the kids and some I didn't. I allowed him to go to all the parties to make friends, but I didn't want to spend alot of money. I have so much fabric and thought I can make things!! But what?? For girls I had no clue, I have one son and never dealt with girl stuff. So I would ask the parent what they liked. I made embroidered pillows with their name or disney characters, pillow cases, crayon or marker cases that roll up and tie, craft aprons and icluded some dollar store craft items etc. I have seen your posts and would love my child to receive anything you make!!! You could even make simple costumes, my son loved to dress up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2008 12:10:54 PM »

Thanks CrAzYhOuSe, dancingrabbit!

I did give a crayon roll with a tiny little notebook and some stickers, all in a drawstring bag.  The concept was a little activity bag for the car (or rather, truck).  I haven't gotten feedback on it, though, because as it so happened we had to miss the gift opening/party food part (It was held at mcdonalds, and being vegan and having another shindig to go to at the same time, it was a bit of a no-brainer to nix that part).  We did do the sleigh ride with all of my kid's wee friends (well, dh did), which was a great idea btw.  Hopefully when school starts up next week, chickie's mom will say something (or not - its so hard to tell).

I thought for older kids it would be fun to put together a craft project kit (like the beginning knitter things or handsewing, necklace making etc that they do sell, but make it a bit cooler or personalized).

Sorta off topic, sorta not: my friend's 7 year old had a b-day party and filched a ton of beads off me (I've had collection issues  Roll Eyes) and then had all her friends put together their own necklaces, bracelets and sew them onto wee cuffs.  The kid's loved it, particularly going through all sorts of odd ball beads, and it served instead of a goodie bag too.
Just idea to throw out there...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shakespear

Crazy Chickadee since 1978

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2008 01:15:59 PM »

I was checking out this thread and thought I'd add my thoughts....

Vegbee, I love giving homemade birthday gifts.  Some of the things I've made....

Reversible Superman/Batman capes.  You make one side red with a superman emblem and then the other side black with the batman emblem.  I also made one for a girl....purple and pink...Supergirl/Batgirl 

A friend once made one for her daughter, Marci.  She put a big M on the cape and it was her SuperMarci cape!

Another thing I've loved to give is a big bucket of homemade play-dough.  I have a really great recipe for it if you need one.  Every now and then we get one of those plastic buckets of ice cream for parties or such and I save it(you being vegan will probably not have those lying around.....but maybe you have an ice cream loving friend?).  Anyway, I'd put a large mass of play-dough in it...and I mean a truly huge and fabulous ball of it (colored whatever my child going to the party chose) and then add in some playdough toys from the dollar store.  It's always been a very well-recieved gift.

Recently I made a friend's little girl a little short sequin-y two layered circle skirt to go over her leotard for dance class.  If you knew the girl was in dance classes maybe? 

Well, hopefully some of those helped. 

Good luck!
Erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafty/writing/the land of random blog...

erinshakespear@bresnan.net
italia_rican_520

Crafting in the world of Deanna, Mike and Ariel.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2008 02:03:34 PM »

Kidlet is 5....

Anyone in her class (boy or girl) LOVES things with their name on it. (an art smock, nightgown, crayon or marker roll)

But many discourage wearing names on clothing out of the house, due to the "stranger-danger" aspect of an unknown person walking up and pretending they know the child.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beantown
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2008 09:17:48 PM »

How about crayon aprons?  Or nap mats?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafting addict!

Visit my blog!
mom232
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008 08:46:04 AM »

Everyone has great ideas! I'll be trying some out.  Thanks. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2008 11:30:35 AM »

you could try something interesting like wierd animals... take material, cut into bits and sew into a strange shape. add eyes.

you can adfd eyes to anything and make it loveable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Crazy Hairstyle
How to Get Disco Hair
How to Create Long Layered Hairstyles
How to Do Fancy Hairstyles
How to Do Red Carpet Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...