A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sewing gifts for b-day parties - I have anxiety!  (Read 3920 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

puddinghead
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2008 12:09:01 PM »

I made a cute Minnie mouse dot print halter dress for a friend's DD's 4th birthday. The girl loves to play dressup and the family has annual passes to WDW so figured it would be a surefire hit.....nope.....th e little girl doesn't like it Sad made me very sad. I put alot of work, never mind the cost of the fabric, into it.

But I am toying w/ the idea of making applique initial tees for future bday parties. I think it would be neat idea and I can usually find cheap tees on sale. Fabric will just be some scrap material so I can make them for under $6 each!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2008 01:18:47 PM »

Make sure you run the initial idea past the parent first. Some parents are really sensitive to having their kids names or initial where anybody can read it. I have done some tees that said "cute!" and "Pow!" with appropriate embellishments though Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2008 08:03:58 PM »

bean bags.  I have an urge to make bean bags.  Need to come up with some good bean bag games to include (or include a description of anyway).  I've made 3 crayon rolls now and I think I'm maxed out there  Cheesy

you could try something interesting like wierd animals... take material, cut into bits and sew into a strange shape. add eyes.
I like this very much... its the weird part  Cheesy

so figured it would be a surefire hit.....nope.....th e little girl doesn't like it  made me very sad. I put alot of work, never mind the cost of the fabric, into it.
urgh, that sucks!  It's so difficult to tell what the kids will like.  Nevermind that they'll beg you to actually make something and then hate it when its done.  Or refuse to wear something one day and refuse to take it off the next.  It's quite possible by next week the girl will love it, so don't get too bummed out  Smiley

Penlowe - good thing to keep in mind  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2008 08:16:56 PM »

I'm maxed out on aprons for kids, done about 6 (not all of them knew each other, so they didn't know I was doing the same thing as the last kid).
The "Pow!" shirt was for a 6 year old boy and he loved it! Wore it to school the very next Monday. /joy!

My last two home-mades were loved by the parents more than the kids (which I'm ok with as they were family) a appliqued name nap blanket with carry bag for the three year old and a hangar based closet caddy in yellow & Disney Princess-with Belle-prominently-featured for the six hear old and all her ten million hair acessories. I really should have taken a picture & posted that one :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funda62
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2008 03:50:28 PM »

What a great thread!  The more I sew the more I feel like sewing and with money tighter than ever, if I don't have something in my "gift closet" already its going to be hand made this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
Fabric http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5067061.
androidmonkeys
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2008 08:52:06 AM »

Any gift I give (purchased or crafted) always goes in a handmade bag to help reduce waste.  This past autumn once the summer items went on sale I purchased swimming goggles and towels x 10 knowing that my 3 kids would get invites to parties.  I created towel swim bags (where you sew a drawstring bag made from a smaller towel and stitch it to the bottom of a large towel, then you stuff the big towel into it and kids can carry swimsuit, goggles, flip flops all in the towel). 
I have also made:
-stuffed toys and dolls
-pencil crayon rolls (like the crayon roll but  for older children) 
-smocks with paints and paint brush
-skirts
-dress up clothing
-backpack (include water bottle and carabiner)
-game kits which is a tin or box with 2 packs of cards, 6 dice, sewn checker mat with pieces (can use beads or buttons) and internet printed rules for card games and dice games
-craft kits which can be homemade.  eg.  flower kit, origami, ingredients for homemade playdough with cookie cutters and instructions....you get the idea

I also like to give a book instead of a card since they are close in price yet the book gets use!
Plus when we host b-day party I like to give "loot bags" that get used.  Some ideas include items that we craft for an activity during the party: small plants with cheap pots that we paint ($3 + .50 pot), pirate kits (cardboard sword and eye patch from felt +elastic),  fairy wands (glitter glue, ribbons, beads).  The idea being to avoid plastic gift bags full of dollar store junk without spending much money or time.

http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=291 had a lot of ideas for winter holidays but many are just as valid for birthday parties. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mclianne

Don't sweat petty things... or pet sweaty things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2008 07:32:24 AM »

"bean bags.  I have an urge to make bean bags.  Need to come up with some good bean bag games to include (or include a description of anyway). "

When I was a little girl, my 5 brothers and I had beanbag frogs filled with lentils.  For years, I'm 40 y/o now, i thought my mother had made them.  I found out about 6 months ago that my oldest brother made them all for us!  We loved those frogs.  Ran around the house throwing them at each other, played catch with them, tried to throw them into a pot from across the room etc.  I plan on making some for 3 sisters I know who all have birthdays in March...

This tutorial and pattern is easy and could be adapted to your liking...
http://www.purlbee.com/purl-frog/

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008 10:01:12 PM by mclianne » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

http://www.wists.com/mclianne
argwwo
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2008 12:30:21 PM »

I didn't read through all of the replies (I'm reading while nursing, so time is limited!), so sorry if I'm repeating others ...

I have made backpacks for my kids, as well as nieces and nephews, and they came out to roughly $10 each including webbing, toggles, and cord. You could make them for less if you used cheaper fabric (I kind of went all out because of the close relationship and paid shipping because I didn't feel like going out to buy with a newborn) HUGE hits -- even for my more materialistic nephews.

Fairy pillows with a appliquéd fairy and a little pocket. Preschoolers are a little far away from losing teeth, but I had a friend who used to use them as enticement for taking naps or going to bed without a fight: she'd tuck a little note or picture in it after the child went to sleep.

Appliquéd or stenciled tee shirts: A friend makes really cute stenciled ones with enlarged wingbats that she prints and then traces onto freezer paper. She cuts out the image with an exacto, irons on the freezer paper, then applies fabric paint. The freezer paper keeps the paint from bleeding, but then peels right off.

good luck.
Angela
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Werewolf Mask
How to Make a Crochet Rope
How to Do a Chevron Crochet
How to Join Crocheted Motifs
How to Crochet Christmas Decorations
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...