A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sewing gifts for b-day parties - I have anxiety!  (Read 3816 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« on: December 17, 2007 07:43:55 PM »

my monkey has just started preschool and we are swamped with birthday party invites for 3 and 4 years olds.  I guess everyone just invites the whole class.  Good for monkey, who is a party animal, but bad for mommy's pocketbook who would rather spend her money on fabric  Roll Eyes

Presents for all these kids?  I really, really do not want to go to toys r us every week to do the totally random gift that will end up landfill in 3 weeks.  So, I'm thinking that I can make something, and what I make, mainly, is clothes.

Is it acceptable to give a kid a item of clothing for their birthday (from my monkey, of course).  How about fun things, like twirl dresses for the girls (maybe with a little doll in a matching dress?  That still puts me at the toy store, though.)  Dress up clothes for both boys and girls?  Princess dresses I'm sure would be a fav for girls, but maybe cowboy outfits or uniforms for boys? 

Help me think outside the box here (okay, I mean, think for me please?)

Keeping in mind I don't know these kids at all, and maybe don't want to put in a huge amount of work for something that may get tossed entirely.  What do you think the other parents may think about handmade clothing/items for gifts?  What will the kids' think?  How much of a bummer is it to not get a toy?  Will my monkey become the preschool pariah for giving crappy, homemade birthday presents?

Am I overthinking this? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LoopedyLoop
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007 09:08:19 PM »

I don't think you are over thinking this at all; I completely understand! How about making crayon rolls for the kids? You could do a frilly print for girls and a cowboy print for boys. It wouldn't require much fabric but it would be fun to make! And you can get crayons for less than a $1 at the grocery store or Walmart. I've seen tuts everywhere for them. My daughter, Kate, is 18mo and I plan to make her and her little friends ones for bday parties, etc. I figure it's something they could get use out of for a while and not just the standard "landfill" toy like you said! BTW - I'm totally making Kate a scoodie next week once I get my new machine Smiley Will post pics.

Jenny Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jeha
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007 09:36:02 PM »

I think preschool age kids are openminded about where toys come from.  My daughter seems to prefer handmade gifts. I think the creativity that went into the making of an item inspires more creativity in playing with the item.  My daughter also prefers playing with a cardboard box over most toys.
Also, I think handmade is becoming trendy, so that should take care of the moms.

Things you could make, cloth books with buttons and zippers to practice, or a fabric version of paper dolls,
I've always wanted to make a cloth recipe book for kids with no cook recipes. So you could just throw the whole book in the wash when it gets dirty.
Tote bag with kids name on it.
Have you seen that post about the birthday crown, thats what i want!
I think dress up clothes are a great idea as well.

Now if only I could get over my anxiety about giving homemade Christmas gifts. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loralie
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007 08:23:29 AM »

I like to make name pillows - the kind where each letter is a separate pillow...if their name is short!  Or you could do a monogram of their initials or name on a pillow.  Or just a BIG pillow with one letter.

Kids really seem to like personalized stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007 01:30:22 PM »

I think made gifts are *far* superior to bought gifts -- but not everyone thinks like me (pity, eh?  Cheesy). That said, I'd still go with handmade gifts, but would avoid clothes. The coloring apron/roll sounds great to me, in fact, it's on my short list of kids' gifts, along with 'ugly' dolls, pillows - animal shaped (snake, dino, etc.), or square/rect with some design - totes, and simple quilts.

The only reason I'd stay away from clothes, even dress up clothes, is sizing, but that's just me.  You have great non-clothing ideas (scoodies, especially), so whatever you come up with will be amazing.

This is an interesting discussion, because in general, giving hand made clothing gifts is hit-or-miss. I don't want to give my mom a shirt I've made, but that's just me. I would, however, give her a totebag, quilt, wall hanging, placemats, etc.

As for the preschoolers being happy with whatever -- yes, absolutely. Unfortunately, it's the blonde moms in SUVs who give me anxiety!

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007 01:50:16 PM »

Oh, these are all excellent ideas! 

I would venture away from clothes also, except I've got a pretty good idea of size for some of them, at least the girls.  I feel pretty safe about twirler dresses for girls, since I've haven't met one yet who doesn't go a bit goofy about them (some fun- get a bunch of preschool girls in twirly clothes and watch the mini-mosh pit  Cheesy).  One of my daughter's friends who I made a twirl dress for 6 months ago still thanks me every single time I see her for the twirl dress.  She's so serious about it too, I feel like she's setting me up to make her another one.

As for the preschoolers being happy with whatever -- yes, absolutely. Unfortunately, it's the blonde moms in SUVs who give me anxiety!
Well, its who its really all about anyway  Grin 

I'm going to do something daring today.  As all us moms (and a few dads) stand around waiting for our kids to come out of the classroom, I'm going to ask how they feel about handmade gifts.  It's wacky, I know.  I feel it may be gauche to just let it all hang out there, but at least they'll be forewarned Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007 02:11:06 PM »

I'm going to do something daring today.  As all us moms (and a few dads) stand around waiting for our kids to come out of the classroom, I'm going to ask how they feel about handmade gifts.  It's wacky, I know.  I feel it may be gauche to just let it all hang out there, but at least they'll be forewarned Cheesy

*gasp* ASK?  Shocked vegbee, you *are* living on the edge..... Cheesy

QB

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
SpottedFrog
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007 08:14:13 PM »

ROFL I always ask!
Granted, I started with the distant cousins, moved into long time friends & now and starting on the more-or-less total strangers, a.k.a. parents of daughter's classmates.

I tend to phrase it like so "so, what would kiddo like for his/ her birthday?" (pause) "ok. Well, you know I really like sewing, would you like to see a handcrafted gift?" (pause, if the reaction is positive) "anything specific he/she could use or would really like?" It gets easier from there. I have gotten a cool response to the handcrafted portion of that conversation, that kid got (the evil that is)Polly Pockets.

Funny part is, mom was way more excited about the last couple gifts than the kids were! One even asked if she could give my name to someone else because they really liked the item. Of course I said yes!

Additions to you list of home-made stuff that isn't weird:
Aprons
pirate stuff like vest, sash, head scarf, boot tops
backpacks
specialized bags for specific toys (when mom says "could you make something for the legos?")
play mats
nap time blanket & pillow sets (I've done this by request twice, really big hit both times)

No Fear!! I plan on asking a mom tomorrow what her son would like- the invitation was a G.I. Joe hummer card....party is Sunday so not much time Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007 08:54:40 PM »

*shame*

I haven't asked yet.  There is a super huge crowd of blondies in heels after school and they scare me  Shocked  BUT, I've made a crayon roll for the birthday party a whole day after christmas (weird enough, my husband wants one now too Huh then again, everything I've walked out of the sewing room with lately he's said that he wants one for himself.  Do I not sew enough for him?  He asked me to make a 'powersword' for him the other day.  Maybe its an early midlife thing.)

O.k.  Good ideas Penlowe!  I'm sure this thread will be useful to other people looking for ideas  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007 06:22:32 AM »

The other way you can present it that you normaly do these to sell but if her daughter would like one you can gift it Wink If you say it with the same attitude as the stockbroker who is telling you what all his clients bought today (i.e. free advice) they will be more receptive.

Make some business cards with your Etsy site, if they are working moms vs. the sit around & eat bonbon's type they will be more open to it I think.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MisTiF
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007 09:09:03 AM »

I know this post has been a few days old but I just wanted to add my 2 cents...blast, there is not a cent mark on my keyboard!

I too think that handmade is Superior to store bought for a few reasons. 
1.  It's not produced in a huge factory (who knows what really happens in there?)
2. Hello Lead in everything under the sun!
3. Because handmade rocks...

If the fake people in heels make a comment about your beautiful gifts...ask them what their talents are.  Shopping, talking on cell phones and running people down in their SUV's do not qualify as talents.

I love the ideas that have been thrown out there. 

I don't know if Totes were on any of the lists that I can remember but personalized tote bags if the kids have any extracurricular activities (dance, sports, etc.)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007 09:18:25 AM by MisTiF - Reason: Hehe, forgot to put my ideas :) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can dress an octopus, you can dress a toddler.

www.aussies2dye4.co m
jayneysews
Mummybuttons

Sewing for small boys is cool

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007 10:27:53 AM »

I have just got into making I spy bags,they make great use of scraps and are fun to make
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing and generally creative Mummy of four wonderful beings
http://www.mummybuttons.blogspot.com/

http://sewinginmysleep.blogspot.com/

She who sews...... ...wins
SpottedFrog
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007 10:49:36 AM »

Shopping... do not qualify as talents.
I beg to differ Smiley I am a killer bargain shopper!

Just giving you a hard time. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007 11:00:49 AM »

what's an I spy bag?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007 11:41:06 AM »

Here's an "I Spy" quilt tutorial.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting_other/article/0,,HGTV_3305_1394148,00.html

Basicly you cut your pieces around pictures so every piece has something on it, with which you can play I spy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007 11:49:33 AM »

ah, very cool, thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silverlife
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007 12:15:23 PM »

The i-spy bags I've seen are different:
http://rosie-baby-crafty.blogspot.com/2007/08/i-spy-bags.html

It's a fabric bean bag with a clear window in it. There are little trinkets in the bag and you have to shift it around and see what you can find. Sometimes they come with a list of what you can find, sometimes they don't. You can look on etsy for them to get a better idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MisTiF
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007 12:53:33 PM »

Shopping... do not qualify as talents.
I beg to differ Smiley I am a killer bargain shopper!

Just giving you a hard time. Cheesy

Haha!  Bargin shopping is different and yes that is a talent for sure.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can dress an octopus, you can dress a toddler.

www.aussies2dye4.co m
pinkfizz77
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007 10:02:27 AM »

just had to butt in and say I would be HONOURED if one of my kids got anything from you, your stuff is truly inspiring and much better than shop made

i personally prefer anything homemade cos i know the time and effort that's gone into it, imperfections (obviously not by you vegbee lol) just add to the charm. anyone can go to a shop and buy something but handmade takes more thought and imagination and everyone I know loves getting homemade stuff

i made my eldests friend a simple bag with her name appliqued on it and she went crackers over it (but admittedly she was 11 so easier to gauge what she would like)

i think bags are a pretty foolproof idea, for boys and girls, especially if you add their initial or name to it, bags always get used (taking to school, activities, friends or just generally keeping all their important stuff out of little brothers reach, or is that just mine  Cheesy)

other ideas:
pillow (with their name on?)
scarf
hat
bag
bunting with their names on

sure whatever you decide on will be loved by the kids and appreciated by the mums (if it isn't they are philistines lol)
and yes bargain hunting is a definite talent Grin

(also what is a crayon roll?)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LoopedyLoop
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007 10:59:27 AM »

I think bunting flags with the kid's name would be SO stinking cute!! Here is an example of the crayon roll I was talking about (with a tut): http://skiptomylou.wordpress.com/2007/04/25/on-a-roll/

Jenny
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessvict
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007 11:43:11 AM »

What about poppets, look in the craftalong and you'll see the thread for a poppetalong. They are really cute and you can dress them in so many different ways, or make them to look like whoever you are making them for. Best of all the person that started the thread gives you the free pattern to make them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkfizz77
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007 04:30:40 PM »

I think bunting flags with the kid's name would be SO stinking cute!! Here is an example of the crayon roll I was talking about (with a tut): http://skiptomylou.wordpress.com/2007/04/25/on-a-roll/
Jenny

oh my they are a great idea, would come in handy for my 12 year old to stop her losing them all at school
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DRivero

I'm just your basic world-class Samantha

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007 11:53:59 PM »

Veg, I'm coming in late (big surprise there), but I do have a suggestion for the boys' gifts: luchador (Mexican wrestling) masks.  The twins that live next door to me have been begging me for about two years to make them masks, but I've never been able to find a pattern.  I've even asked on Craftster, but i still haven't found one that's quite right.  With your talent, I'll bet you can figure it out easy-peasy.  I'm telling you, the neighbor boys are PLEADING me to make one for them; they just love wrestling (although it just dawned on me-- maybe wrestling's not so popular way up North, huh?)  What about fabric hockey goalie masks with the local team's logo?  Wait, then they'd look like Jason from Friday the 13th.  That's a bad thing, right?   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye; then hey, free eyeball!
SpottedFrog
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2007 07:30:22 AM »

Awww, being so close to Mexico I can get wrestling masks at the flea market- run about $10 each and they are leather...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
magpie0816
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2007 05:38:54 AM »

Had to peek in here...<brief rant> I AM a blond mom who occasionally wears heels to work - and yes, I do work full time AND still make all the same crafty goodness everyone here does (tho, I don't drive an SUV nor do I live on my cell). I guess I am not sure I think it is fair to judge - on either side of the road. Ppl think I am a grade A weirdo on both side of the table...but when you really get to know a person, we all basically have the same fears and doubts - mostly of ourselves and how we appear to others. I am constantly amazed at the ppl I meet when I a. open my mouth and meet them and 2. keep an open mind. </brief rant>

I love all the ideas here...and am taking notes Smiley My son is only 15 months but I would love to make some gifts for the other kids at his daycare.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One of a Kind Fused Glass Jewelry
Shop Dye Lot Collective http://www.dyelotcollective.etsy.com
http://www.dyelotcollective.com
SpottedFrog
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2007 09:54:23 AM »

Nah, I understand, I know from my posts I probably look pretty laid back. I like trendy clothes, politically I'm very conservative & I drive a big SUV (it's a hand me down, and yes I really have towed a travel trailer and a cattle trailer with it, I frequently drive on dirt roads and across pastures).  Like you I don't fit in either group very well also- I don't let it get to me Wink

Many of us on this page are moms, we all like making stuff, we all like sharing our thoughts & ideas about making stuff- that's enough for me:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NLJ
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2007 10:27:45 AM »

I think you should make hooded bath towels.  They have patterns for ducks, frogs and lots of other animals.  I think any preschooler would like one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
magpie0816
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2007 11:25:19 AM »

Like you I don't fit in either group very well also- I don't let it get to me Wink
Many of us on this page are moms, we all like making stuff, we all like sharing our thoughts & ideas about making stuff- that's enough for me:)

True that Penlowe Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AudreyB
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2007 07:18:12 PM »

Greetings!

I have 3 boys (and 2 girls) and thought I could offer some ideas for boys.

Things my boys have enjoyed:

Capes - and more capes or cloaks (I have fabric to make a LOTR one for oldest DS).
Crowns - Metallic lame on one side, soft flannel on other; velcro to close.
Possibilities bag - name is from bag that Lewis and Clark expidition used -- basically a messenger bag
Belts to carry swords, etc.
Vest - cowboy or plain with a bandana
Fringe pants - mountain man or Indian
Spats - made to look like boots

Hope that gives some more boy ideas (my girls are younger so I'm still learning what they like).

Blessings,
AudreyB
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StookeyDough
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2007 11:17:27 PM »

I don't know what girl wouldn't like a homemade tutu or twirly dress.  I think that's a fantastic idea.  Heck, I'd take a twirly dress at age 17!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2007 01:23:26 PM »

fantastic ideas, y'all!  Now I can't wait to be invited to another birthday (especially since I've had so much fun watching my handmade gifts being opened so far during the holidays - total gratification when they get excited about it, almost drug like...)

Ahem.  Anway,
Ppl think I am a grade A weirdo on both side of the table...
story of my life...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magpie0816
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2007 05:09:00 PM »

Ppl think I am a grade A weirdo on both side of the table...
story of my life...

Viva los wierdos!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancingrabbit
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2008 10:08:16 PM »

Chiming in as late as I dare...  I did pajamas for 10 ppl this year, and they were well received.  There are sooo many cute flannels out there, I couldn't resist - plus they're so quick to make.   Wink  I also did 2 blanket-bag-nap things that went over better with the moms than the kids.  I wish I'd done some goofy hats or something too.

I really think clothes are a fine idea, especially dress-up items that can be worn for many years.

How about play food?  My son is big into felt food. 

In AL where football is a 2nd religion for many, you can't go wrong with logo anything.  Though heaven help the one who gives Alabama stuff to an Auburn fan...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrAzYhOuSe
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2008 11:46:31 AM »

Ok I didn't read all the responses but I feel your pain. When my son started school 3 years ago the invites came in like crazy. I knew some of the kids and some I didn't. I allowed him to go to all the parties to make friends, but I didn't want to spend alot of money. I have so much fabric and thought I can make things!! But what?? For girls I had no clue, I have one son and never dealt with girl stuff. So I would ask the parent what they liked. I made embroidered pillows with their name or disney characters, pillow cases, crayon or marker cases that roll up and tie, craft aprons and icluded some dollar store craft items etc. I have seen your posts and would love my child to receive anything you make!!! You could even make simple costumes, my son loved to dress up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2008 12:10:54 PM »

Thanks CrAzYhOuSe, dancingrabbit!

I did give a crayon roll with a tiny little notebook and some stickers, all in a drawstring bag.  The concept was a little activity bag for the car (or rather, truck).  I haven't gotten feedback on it, though, because as it so happened we had to miss the gift opening/party food part (It was held at mcdonalds, and being vegan and having another shindig to go to at the same time, it was a bit of a no-brainer to nix that part).  We did do the sleigh ride with all of my kid's wee friends (well, dh did), which was a great idea btw.  Hopefully when school starts up next week, chickie's mom will say something (or not - its so hard to tell).

I thought for older kids it would be fun to put together a craft project kit (like the beginning knitter things or handsewing, necklace making etc that they do sell, but make it a bit cooler or personalized).

Sorta off topic, sorta not: my friend's 7 year old had a b-day party and filched a ton of beads off me (I've had collection issues  Roll Eyes) and then had all her friends put together their own necklaces, bracelets and sew them onto wee cuffs.  The kid's loved it, particularly going through all sorts of odd ball beads, and it served instead of a goodie bag too.
Just idea to throw out there...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shakespear

Crazy Chickadee since 1978

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2008 01:15:59 PM »

I was checking out this thread and thought I'd add my thoughts....

Vegbee, I love giving homemade birthday gifts.  Some of the things I've made....

Reversible Superman/Batman capes.  You make one side red with a superman emblem and then the other side black with the batman emblem.  I also made one for a girl....purple and pink...Supergirl/Batgirl 

A friend once made one for her daughter, Marci.  She put a big M on the cape and it was her SuperMarci cape!

Another thing I've loved to give is a big bucket of homemade play-dough.  I have a really great recipe for it if you need one.  Every now and then we get one of those plastic buckets of ice cream for parties or such and I save it(you being vegan will probably not have those lying around.....but maybe you have an ice cream loving friend?).  Anyway, I'd put a large mass of play-dough in it...and I mean a truly huge and fabulous ball of it (colored whatever my child going to the party chose) and then add in some playdough toys from the dollar store.  It's always been a very well-recieved gift.

Recently I made a friend's little girl a little short sequin-y two layered circle skirt to go over her leotard for dance class.  If you knew the girl was in dance classes maybe? 

Well, hopefully some of those helped. 

Good luck!
Erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafty/writing/the land of random blog...

erinshakespear@bresnan.net
italia_rican_520

Crafting in the world of Deanna, Mike and Ariel.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2008 02:03:34 PM »

Kidlet is 5....

Anyone in her class (boy or girl) LOVES things with their name on it. (an art smock, nightgown, crayon or marker roll)

But many discourage wearing names on clothing out of the house, due to the "stranger-danger" aspect of an unknown person walking up and pretending they know the child.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beantown
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2008 09:17:48 PM »

How about crayon aprons?  Or nap mats?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafting addict!

Visit my blog!
mom232
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008 08:46:04 AM »

Everyone has great ideas! I'll be trying some out.  Thanks. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2008 11:30:35 AM »

you could try something interesting like wierd animals... take material, cut into bits and sew into a strange shape. add eyes.

you can adfd eyes to anything and make it loveable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puddinghead
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2008 12:09:01 PM »

I made a cute Minnie mouse dot print halter dress for a friend's DD's 4th birthday. The girl loves to play dressup and the family has annual passes to WDW so figured it would be a surefire hit.....nope.....th e little girl doesn't like it Sad made me very sad. I put alot of work, never mind the cost of the fabric, into it.

But I am toying w/ the idea of making applique initial tees for future bday parties. I think it would be neat idea and I can usually find cheap tees on sale. Fabric will just be some scrap material so I can make them for under $6 each!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2008 01:18:47 PM »

Make sure you run the initial idea past the parent first. Some parents are really sensitive to having their kids names or initial where anybody can read it. I have done some tees that said "cute!" and "Pow!" with appropriate embellishments though Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2008 08:03:58 PM »

bean bags.  I have an urge to make bean bags.  Need to come up with some good bean bag games to include (or include a description of anyway).  I've made 3 crayon rolls now and I think I'm maxed out there  Cheesy

you could try something interesting like wierd animals... take material, cut into bits and sew into a strange shape. add eyes.
I like this very much... its the weird part  Cheesy

so figured it would be a surefire hit.....nope.....th e little girl doesn't like it  made me very sad. I put alot of work, never mind the cost of the fabric, into it.
urgh, that sucks!  It's so difficult to tell what the kids will like.  Nevermind that they'll beg you to actually make something and then hate it when its done.  Or refuse to wear something one day and refuse to take it off the next.  It's quite possible by next week the girl will love it, so don't get too bummed out  Smiley

Penlowe - good thing to keep in mind  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2008 08:16:56 PM »

I'm maxed out on aprons for kids, done about 6 (not all of them knew each other, so they didn't know I was doing the same thing as the last kid).
The "Pow!" shirt was for a 6 year old boy and he loved it! Wore it to school the very next Monday. /joy!

My last two home-mades were loved by the parents more than the kids (which I'm ok with as they were family) a appliqued name nap blanket with carry bag for the three year old and a hangar based closet caddy in yellow & Disney Princess-with Belle-prominently-featured for the six hear old and all her ten million hair acessories. I really should have taken a picture & posted that one :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funda62
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2008 03:50:28 PM »

What a great thread!  The more I sew the more I feel like sewing and with money tighter than ever, if I don't have something in my "gift closet" already its going to be hand made this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
Fabric http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5067061.
androidmonkeys
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2008 08:52:06 AM »

Any gift I give (purchased or crafted) always goes in a handmade bag to help reduce waste.  This past autumn once the summer items went on sale I purchased swimming goggles and towels x 10 knowing that my 3 kids would get invites to parties.  I created towel swim bags (where you sew a drawstring bag made from a smaller towel and stitch it to the bottom of a large towel, then you stuff the big towel into it and kids can carry swimsuit, goggles, flip flops all in the towel). 
I have also made:
-stuffed toys and dolls
-pencil crayon rolls (like the crayon roll but  for older children) 
-smocks with paints and paint brush
-skirts
-dress up clothing
-backpack (include water bottle and carabiner)
-game kits which is a tin or box with 2 packs of cards, 6 dice, sewn checker mat with pieces (can use beads or buttons) and internet printed rules for card games and dice games
-craft kits which can be homemade.  eg.  flower kit, origami, ingredients for homemade playdough with cookie cutters and instructions....you get the idea

I also like to give a book instead of a card since they are close in price yet the book gets use!
Plus when we host b-day party I like to give "loot bags" that get used.  Some ideas include items that we craft for an activity during the party: small plants with cheap pots that we paint ($3 + .50 pot), pirate kits (cardboard sword and eye patch from felt +elastic),  fairy wands (glitter glue, ribbons, beads).  The idea being to avoid plastic gift bags full of dollar store junk without spending much money or time.

http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=291 had a lot of ideas for winter holidays but many are just as valid for birthday parties. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mclianne

Don't sweat petty things... or pet sweaty things.

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2008 07:32:24 AM »

"bean bags.  I have an urge to make bean bags.  Need to come up with some good bean bag games to include (or include a description of anyway). "

When I was a little girl, my 5 brothers and I had beanbag frogs filled with lentils.  For years, I'm 40 y/o now, i thought my mother had made them.  I found out about 6 months ago that my oldest brother made them all for us!  We loved those frogs.  Ran around the house throwing them at each other, played catch with them, tried to throw them into a pot from across the room etc.  I plan on making some for 3 sisters I know who all have birthdays in March...

This tutorial and pattern is easy and could be adapted to your liking...
http://www.purlbee.com/purl-frog/

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008 10:01:12 PM by mclianne » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

http://www.wists.com/mclianne
argwwo
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2008 12:30:21 PM »

I didn't read through all of the replies (I'm reading while nursing, so time is limited!), so sorry if I'm repeating others ...

I have made backpacks for my kids, as well as nieces and nephews, and they came out to roughly $10 each including webbing, toggles, and cord. You could make them for less if you used cheaper fabric (I kind of went all out because of the close relationship and paid shipping because I didn't feel like going out to buy with a newborn) HUGE hits -- even for my more materialistic nephews.

Fairy pillows with a appliquéd fairy and a little pocket. Preschoolers are a little far away from losing teeth, but I had a friend who used to use them as enticement for taking naps or going to bed without a fight: she'd tuck a little note or picture in it after the child went to sleep.

Appliquéd or stenciled tee shirts: A friend makes really cute stenciled ones with enlarged wingbats that she prints and then traces onto freezer paper. She cuts out the image with an exacto, irons on the freezer paper, then applies fabric paint. The freezer paper keeps the paint from bleeding, but then peels right off.

good luck.
Angela
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Saving and Updating Template-Based Files
Extreme Website Makeover - Linking Buttons to Pages
Extreme Website Makeover - Modifying a Template in Expanded Mode
Extreme Website Makeover - Adding Content to the Pages
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating Multiple Pages Using a Template
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...