A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,347
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ho hum.... but BOOTCAMP! in-a-box?  (Read 950 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juliusmunki

I have no excuses for my behavior

View Profile WWW
« on: December 17, 2007 02:59:17 PM »

ANy help would be greatly appreciated -- my 24 year old brother is joining the army ... his bday is Dec 23th + Christmas + leaves to San DIego for Bootcamp Jan 5 - I am trying to keep it lighthearted as the family is proud of him yet nervous ... he signed up without telling anyone - And since he is on his way - I want to be supportive -

Does anyone know what he will need/ want/ can use to pass the time with while gone for 6 months, at least?... and may ease homesickness??

I am at a total loss  !!!! Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissTico
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007 10:44:15 AM »

My boyfriend is in the army and I am giving him a box that is decoupaged with pictures and movie tickets. Inside the box I am putting things I have made for him as well as photographs and such. For your box I would recommend photos and perhaps having the members of his family write him some letters of encouragement to place inside. Maybe you could take pictures of areas that have special memories for him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hecate
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007 09:46:45 PM »

Well, first off, a big thanks to your brother for what he is doing, we wouldn't have all we do here in America without their service.  My boyfriend left for basic training and AIT on September 18th and his decision to join was somewhat unexpected, so I know it can be kind of scary and make you nervous at first. He joined the army too, military police (HOOAH!)

Anyways, what you can send depends on what point it is during basic/AIT. At first they are much stricter and gradually they let the soldiers have more

privileges. My boyfriend is at Fort Leonardwood, MO, so I don't know if it's different at the other bases but the rules he sent me for packages were:

~No packages bigger than a shoebox
~Nothing perishable or liquid (like cologne)
~During basic (at least at Ft. Leonardwood) if they got sent candy or food,   
  they only had 10 minutes to eat it, so small quantities of candy/treats (I
  learned that the hard way)

I thought there was something else too, but I don't remember. I sent him lots of letters and pictures, and a couple of stationary kits, which came in handy. I used the stationary kit to hid the things I wasn't supposed to send him (like his MP3 player) LOL. Sneaky sneaky. Anyways, I also sent him a rubik cube at his request, and books that he wanted. Some other things you could send him to pass the time would be like those sudoku or crossword puzzle books (if he likes that kinda stuff).

Well, I hope that helps. The time they are gone passes slow on some days, but at the same time it all goes by faster than you think it will and you have them home again (I'll have mine home this Thursday, but then he's gotta go back for a month and a half on Jan. 3rd)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DaniFae
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007 10:24:32 AM »

wow, the army's rules for what you can have in basic training must be far more lax than the air force's (which is odd) I was pretty much limited to sending sheets of paper only (letters, pictures and drawings) I'd say a big one would be stamps, pens, paper, envelopes.  He should have been given a list of things he has to have, things I remember are body wash (not soap), flip flops (for showers), and the paper stuff I mentioned. But that's the Air Force list, and the Army's may be different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissTico
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007 12:47:12 PM »

wow, the army's rules for what you can have in basic training must be far more lax than the air force's (which is odd) I was pretty much limited to sending sheets of paper only (letters, pictures and drawings) I'd say a big one would be stamps, pens, paper, envelopes.  He should have been given a list of things he has to have, things I remember are body wash (not soap), flip flops (for showers), and the paper stuff I mentioned. But that's the Air Force list, and the Army's may be different.

As far as basic goes, it depends on which company you are in, etc.
My boyfriend was in alpha co 2-58 and wasn't allowed very much of anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliusmunki

I have no excuses for my behavior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007 02:37:34 PM »

thanks for all the tips so far - i have heard some horror stories of them getting goodie boxes from well meaning family members - I don't want to harm him, but it pains me not to send anything at all!!  anyway the suggestions so far are great!!  I really appreciate each and every one!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Avatar Post Team - Ep 2 - Performance Matters
Screenwriting Software
Technical Screenplay Format
How to Blur Faces in Videos
How to Create Storyboards
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...