A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: allentown knitters  (Read 2699 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cbradio
« on: December 29, 2003 01:45:06 PM »

So I just had to share my love of Tucker's Yarns in Allentown.  Everytime I come home from Boston to see my parents, I head right there.  The yarn selection is overwhelming and most of it is really cool vintage yarn.   It is also really inexpensive.  The couple that runs the store are very friendly and quite helpful.  If you're in the Allentown area, check it out.  I'm not sure of the exact address, but it's on the right hand side of the 900 block of Hamilton Street after it becomes one way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When God made the arse, he didn't say, 'Hey, it's just your basic hinge, let's knock off early.' He said, 'Behold ye angels, I have created the arse. Throughout the ages to come, men and women shall grab hold of these, and shout my name!
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004 06:09:19 AM »

Thank you so much for posting this! I live in Stroudsburg (and often think of Allentown as the "big city") so finding anyplace other than Wal-Mart that sells good yarn is wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CinnaOfDoom
Future Domestic Goddess

obsessed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004 12:09:08 PM »

My parents live near Stoudsburg! There have been numberous times when I've fogotten to bring a project w/ me, and have gone to the Wal-Mart, only to leave fustrated, and empty handed.  Its also usually late at night (10pm and beyond).  What kind of hours does the store in Allentown keep??
Maybe I'll check it out the next time I go to visit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting my way into the heart of a generation.
knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004 12:27:15 PM »

I actually don't like that store too much...it's dark, sorta musty, and has lots of old red heart yarn.  I rather go to Tangled Yarn in Bethlehem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elixia13
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004 04:35:37 PM »

Regarding both Tucker's Yarns and Tangled Yarn, do they have thread for embroidery as well as yarn for knitting?  I'm going to be in Bethlehem in a few weeks visiting family, and I'd love to check out the local crafty stores.  I seem to think there was some store in Allentown where my mom and I used to get cross-stitch kits back in the 80's, but I haven't the slightest clue where it was or what it was called. 

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004 02:44:22 PM »

I don't think that Tangled Yarns carries embroidery thread, but you could call them and ask. I haven't been in Tucker's Yarn yet so I don't know about that one. Other than that, there is a really nice AC Moore on MacArthur Road in Whitehall (near the Lehigh Valley Mall) as well as a Michael's. Either one of those shops will have embroidery thread.

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elixia13
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004 03:44:10 PM »

Thanks!  I appreciate the information.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004 01:14:29 PM »

Okay, so my sister and I made out trip to all the yarn shops that we could manage and finally made it to Tucker's. Yes, it does have a musty smell and I my hands smelled a little funky after "fondling" all of the yarns, but wow, what a find! We found the most lovely, "craptacular" yarn that simply defies explanations other than it is olive green triple tweed (with the tweed being kelly green, light pink, and hot pink) . . . so sublime! Also bought three skeins of a viscose yarn in white, pink, and hot pink as well as the Denise needle kit. Still like Kraemer's better, but Tucker's is the tops for cheap and unusual yarns . . . just can't take the kids there or they would revolt.

Jill

PS - all my sister kept saying after we left was, "I am relocating to Allentown. This is the coolest, funkiest, best little town ever!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...