A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,769
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Problems with ribbing :(  (Read 598 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

homegirleh

this is not a llamatization!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2005 12:32:33 PM »

I'm kinda a new knitter...about 2 months old. I've done garter-stitched scarves...I can do short rows...I can make shapes and I can ALMOST use circs the right way! I'm not bad at it at all, but see...
I have two major problems with trying to make ribbing or doing anything much harder than garter stitch:

A. I lose concentration easily. I try to keep count, count out loud "Knit 1, knit 2, purl 1, purl 2" but I always end up messing it up!

B. When I do, like a K2P2 row to do ribbing, when I get to the next row, I have trouble because every 2 stitches are different, and sometimes it gets tangled and I drop strings and stitches.
I might just sound like I'm stupid Sad I'm really trying, but for some reason its sooo hard for me to get this. If anyone has any pointers for me that'd be great, I really want to graduate up from boring garter stitch scarves!
Thanks so much, y'all are a great group,
Alex
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ecinue88

0.5 second attention sp-

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005 12:41:23 PM »

I can never keep count either. Learn to recognize how knit stitches look as opposed to purl stitches. Then you only have to count the 1st row properly. Any rows after that you can just follow the row underneath it.

Use a smooth yarn to make a little 6 stitch ribbing swatch and take a closer look at it. Purl stitches have the yarn from the row below going in front of the stitch on your needles. Knit stitches have the yarn from the stitch below wrapping behind the stitch.
Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005 01:03:26 PM »

I can never keep count either. Learn to recognize how knit stitches look as opposed to purl stitches. Then you only have to count the 1st row properly. Any rows after that you can just follow the row underneath it.

Use a smooth yarn to make a little 6 stitch ribbing swatch and take a closer look at it. Purl stitches have the yarn from the row below going in front of the stitch on your needles. Knit stitches have the yarn from the stitch below wrapping behind the stitch.
Hope this helps.
Just to help explain it (although this may confuse you more) I shall quote the infamous Debbie Stoller "Look at the base of the next stitch on your needle. If you see a little V hanging around its neck-as if the stitch is wearing a scarf-it means that, in order to stack another V on top of it, you will need to knit it. However, if you see a little rouned bump at the base of th stitch-as if the stitch on your needle has a little noose around its neck- then in order to stack another bump on top of it, you will need to purl that stitch."

Good luck, it will get easier with practice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
homegirleh

this is not a llamatization!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005 01:12:37 PM »

Aww thank you guys! That all helps me a TON! I'm going to make some swatches with diff. needles and yarns tonight and study them..yay! Thank you sooo much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karahtalia
Queen of Unfinished Projects

Dangerous Kittyboy aka The Knitting Guineapig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005 02:54:59 PM »

Ecinue88 did an excellent job of explaining.
My little trick adds to that I suppose. For the purl stitch I consider that little 'noose' like a pearl so a purl stich has a pearl and a knit stitch doesnt. Its a play on words for me that allows me to keep them straight without having to really think about it. Smiley I hope that helps further.

Good luck with your knitting. Smiley

I *am* a typo queen. *le sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting is Knourishment Cheesy

http://www.irishwitch.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Onion Rings
How to Personalize Your Stuffing
How to Make Hawaiian Pulled Pork
Grilled Minas Cheese with Pesto Sauce Recipe
The Future of the New York Food Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...