A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,512
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: paint question  (Read 1337 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CrochetAdikt

splish splash i was takin a bath

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2007 08:55:56 PM »

i've read through almost 9 pages of posts and still have a few questions. i've read about people using plain fabric paint to stencil with or acrylic paint with a medium. which one works better? which doesn't fade or peel as easliy as another? which brands work the best and where would i buy them at? i have a walmart, a joanns, a michaels and a hobby lobby all right by me. (lucky me!! Smiley )i wanted to try and get some shirts done for xmas but i can't do em til i find out about paints cuz i don't wanna screw everything up. thanx!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kissthegirl
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007 10:48:43 PM »

I use fabric paint for all of my stuff... never tried the other one so this may not totally help you. but I found that just putting the fabric paint on top of the fabric is not the best for longevity. I use a very thin paintbrush to work the paint into the fabric, nothings cracked or peeled. I even did this to one of those pillowcases you're supposed to color with crayons and heat set, because the first time I washed it, the crayon washed out. anyways, I sleep on the painted side and it is a teeeny bit stiff, but still in good cindition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

someone once told me there's nothing wrong with wanting a fairy tale... everyone lives happily ever after.
jellobird1
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008 07:05:38 AM »

i avoid regular fabric paint and go with acrylic/textile medium. For some reason the fabric paint tends to peel fairly quickly. (not to mention acrylics come in soooo many more colors Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dmbgirl41
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008 10:26:25 AM »

I'm glad I found this- helped a little- but I still have more questions. Ok- if I'm using acrylic paint- does it have to be acrylic paint or acrylic craft paint. & whats this medium? Like something you add to the paint that is specifically for textiles & would I find it probably next to the acrylics? I really want to do this- so your help is greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Sweet you Rock & Sweet You Roll~*
Jessidy
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008 10:44:55 AM »

Just acrylic craft paint will work. Most craft stores have the textile medium with the craft paint, with all the sealers and varnishes. Textile medium just makes the paint like a fabric paint, cause regular paint will just mostly wash out. Just make sure to follow the directions on the bottle to heat set the paint in the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MLJHydro
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008 10:03:24 AM »

I have used both acrylic-with-medium and fabric paint. I have found that acrylic-with-medium can be more transparent than fabric paint. This is only really a problem if you are painting white or a light color on black and you want it to be really solid. Acrylic without a medium will flake off over time, I would recommend using the fabric medium. I personally prefer fabric paint because it is very easy to work with. I use the Jacquard brand. They make transparent(ish) and opaque paints and they have a great line of metallics which look AMAZING. I have found them at local art stores, I haven't seen any at Joann's or Michael's but I haven't really looked for them there. They run about $3 US a 2.5 oz bottle (a little more for the metallics), which will go a LONG way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Vegetable Korma
How to Make Vegetable Fried Rice
How to Make Thai Drunken Noodles
How to Make Healthy Nigiri Sushi Recipe
How to Make Indian Dal
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...