A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  Please take a moment to congratulate and thank our newest Craftster Moderators, lindyv321, pottermouth, PerfectlyBohemian, Mistress Jennie and LovelyMiss!
Total Members: 305,651
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet snowman ornament  (Read 1239 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

miamaria
« on: December 17, 2007 10:26:12 AM »

I haven't touched a crochet hook for about 10 years, but I decided I needed a crochet snowman ornament (but the scarf is knit). Here he is hanging from my computer! I'm really pleased with him, and it was so quick and easy I've already started making more for Christmas gifts. I didn't use a pattern but I could write up approximate instructions if someone is interested.

I made another one after I wrote this post - a little brother with a hat

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007 01:07:09 PM by miamaria » THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty_cat_529

R.I.P. Socket... I miss you.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007 10:34:25 AM »

Awww!! he's so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BunnyTuTu

Is it because I have a waffly nose?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007 12:39:18 PM »

So adorable Cheesy

I wish I knew how to crochet, or where to start!!

x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
foreversandals
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007 12:43:24 PM »

I'd love a pattern!
My mom loves snowmen and this would be too cute to give her!

I love that its so small and cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs:
- Crochet: Baby Blanket
- Scrapbooking: Ongoing scrapbook
- Body: Creating a baby!!

http://www.wists.com/foreversandals
http://beautythroughthelens.wordpress.com [my photoblog]
miamaria
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007 01:28:55 PM »

This is ridiculously vague, because that's just the way I do things, and I'm not good at crochet terms because this is my first in ages, but I will try because I'm so flattered that you asked!
1) make a loop of about 6 chain stitches
2) single crochet in each
3) increase every stitch for about one round, then every other stitch for a while, then every third or fourth, until you have something bowl-shaped. I didn't mark the start of the round and did it all by feel (I know, I'm bad), but my snowmen still turned out pretty symmetrical. If you want to be more exact, there are tons of patterns for crochet balls to be found. Practically every cute animal includes one.
4) Do a few rounds of just plain sc until it looks like it's time to start decreasing (when you have half a ball, or rather a little more than half a ball)
5) decrease in the same pattern as you increased - maybe every fourth stitch at first and then closer together until you decrease in every stitch and have a small opening about the size of a snowman neck  Smiley for me that was about 10 stitches
6) stuff snowman body with whatever you have handy, I used little bits of an old t-shirt. But not too full, you have to be able to keep crocheting
7) one round of plain sc, then start increasing again for the head. Repeat the procedure for the body, but stop increasing a little sooner so the head is smaller
Cool When you have a small opening left, stuff your snowman some more. The crochet hook is good for this. Massage into a good shape, you can undo some misshapenness with the stuffing.
9) Crochet the opening closed
10) Embroider eyes and nose (basically three dots, one orange and two black. I tried to improvise a 3D carrot shape for the nose, it worked pretty well once and less well the second time)

A naked snowman! Make a loop for hanging with the end of the yarn, unless you want a hat.

Scarf 1
Cast on 4 stitches, knit garter stitch until scarf fits snowman, tie.

Scarf 2 (keyhole scarf - I like the look of this better)
Make two crochet chains of snowman scarf length. Sew together through the loops on the back, leaving an opening near one end. Pull other end through this opening to keep the scarf around snowman neck.

Hat
Knit a triangle that looks about big enough to fit around you snowman's head. It doesn't have to be exact, you can sew his hat on Smiley sew down one side, attach to snowman, make loop on top.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2007 03:52:43 AM by miamaria » THIS ROCKS   Logged
misswendiki
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007 01:44:31 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial, miamaria! I think it's great! I'm pretty new to crochet, but this makes perfect sense to me. I'll let you know how my expiriment turns out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Ed Bronstein on Becoming a Painter
Paintings by Ed Bronstein
How to Carve a Drawing on Wood
Meet Baybayin Artist Ameurfina Nazario
Meet Ebru Artist Siddi Zubeyde Atan
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...