A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,342
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cookies  (Read 1223 times)
Tags for this thread: cookie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

waverly
« on: January 03, 2005 10:06:53 AM »

does anyone have a good recipe for using cookie cutter with? I've tried a few, but the cookies rise and make the shape look obese, and I can only work with the dough for like 5 minutes and get a few cookies out before its too warm and it gets sticky and i have to put it back in the fridge for an hour. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
betty666
u little rippaa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005 02:38:32 AM »

gingerbread recipe?

soo original i no... but i cant think that hard... hheehee

they must hold their shape
THIS ROCKS   Logged

proud of my life, and the things that i have done
proud of myself, and the loner i've become
you're free to whine, it will not get you far
i do just fine, my car and my guitar
-Say Anything
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005 02:07:01 PM »

I think you need to make sure the recipe makes shaped cookie dough and not rolled cookie dough (or the other way round... I forget... I'm sure it says somewhere on the Good Housekeeping site or something).

I can, however, help you with keeping the dough cold. You're probably using the wrong kind of equipment for it. Try getting a hollow glass (or Perspex) rolling pin; the kind you can open up at one end. Fill that with ice cubes or iced water and use that to roll them.
You can also roll them out on a marble (or pretty much any kind of stone, but marble is probably the most readily available) board instead of a plastic one- we've had a marble board for years and it always stays lovely and cold! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005 02:32:22 PM »

Ooh, and make sure you put flour on the board and on the pin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lindsayanne
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005 02:01:08 PM »

I'm a little late here, but I'm the queen of sugar cookies and cokie cutters!

First, to keep your cookies from ballooning up when you bake them cut the baking power or soda in the recipe in half. Baking power makes them lighter, but if you are going for cute, accurate shapes, then cutting the power is the way to decrease the spreading without affecting the flavor.

If your dough is sort of greasy and gooey you can decrease the butter or shortening and add a touch of flour when you are mixing it. When you are rolling the dough out and cutting the shapes you should flour your working surface with powered sugar rather than flour-- it eliminates that yucky layer of bland flour on the surface of freshly baked cookies.

Third, you should always avoid moving your shapes once you've cut out the shape. I use silpat mats but parchment paper will work well too. You should roll out your dough on the paper or mat, cut out your shapes, and then peel up the excess rather than the shapes. Peel all the dough from around the shapes, then just put the mat or paper onto your cookie sheet and bake. It eliminates the distorion you can get from trying to move cut-out dough shapes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waverly
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005 10:04:19 AM »

wow thank you! I'm going to try that now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dolphin
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005 10:34:03 AM »

I have been using the Wilton Sugar Cookie recipe for years. It does not require chilling of the dough. It makes delicious cookies.

2 sticks butter
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 large egg
2 tsp. baking powder
3 c. flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Beat in the vanilla and egg. Mix baking powder and flour and add one cup at a time, mixing after each addition.

If dough becomes too stiff, add a teaspoon of water at a time.( This is what the directions say but I have never had to add any water.) Do not chill dough.  Gather the dough into 2 or 3 balls. The dough will be soft.

On a floured surface, roll the dough about one eighth inch thick. Dip cutters in flour before each use or as necessary. Sprinkle colored sugar as desired or wait to decorate after the cookies are baked.

Bake cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet on top rack of oven for 6-7 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned. Remove to a cooking rack while cookies are warm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind-the-Scenes with Tommy Ton: Chic in the Street
All Eyes on Penelope Cruz
Behind the Scenes: Gwen Stefani
Victoria Beckham Wins at Wimbledon in a Sexy Slip Dress
Kanye West Designs Denim Collection For French Label
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...