A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: where to buy charms or pendants  (Read 2012 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

emtus
« on: December 16, 2007 06:01:09 AM »

Hi!

So I love love love finding cute little charms and funky pendants. Does anyone know of a place in the city to search for such things? I've been to M+J Trimming and they have a small selection, but I've already exhausted their supply.

Thanks alot
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nicole.Amina
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008 03:27:40 PM »

Have you tried the bead stores in the city? If you walk down 6th ave and the side streets off of times square you can find a couple of stores. I'm sure at least one should have funky pendants.

Let me know if you find any stores  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zowolf
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008 06:00:24 AM »

metalliferous.com

they also have a store in midtown:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ladywyntir
Wyntir Witch of the West

"Knit is Good... But Crochet is WICKED!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008 08:59:47 AM »

5th avenue between 40th and 37th.  tons of bead stores there - i used to go there on my lunch hour and think of all the jewelry i could create.  ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fididdly
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008 09:36:50 PM »

Metalliferous is good for charms, yes, but lots of the charm and findings types of things are cheap brass-plated stuff.  Still, you can just about go into a trance looking at it all. 

There are a couple of bead & semiprecious gem shops, too.  I bought a beautiful round green aventurine cabochon at Aurora's Beads and Jewelry at (I just looked it up) 242 E. 28th Street just a few weeks ago.  It didn't have a hole in it, but many or most of their cabs do. 

Another bead shop is on 17th or 18th just west of Union Square.  It has TONs of exotic beads, including lots of carved beads, that trend toward the Tibetan and other Asian areas.  Very nice stuff.  I'd recommend that place unreservedly if you're looking for interesting pendants.  Not much in the way of metal charms, though. 

Another lovely bead shop is right next to Metalliferous and has a doorway opening up directly into Metalliferous. 

Also:  38th street--I think that's the one--it's the street that's the south edge of Lord & Taylor, from Madison Ave. on west.  There are lots of bridal shops near there too.  They do have interesting trim & doodads sometimes. 

There are also button shops in the 38th St. areas.  Absolutely DO NOT skip those button shops if you're looking for fun stuff.  It's astounding what you can find in those places.

You can find interesting earrings & pendants among the street vendors near the parks.  Try Union Square down Broadway toward Astor Place and and University Ave. toward  Washington Square. 

Finally, you can go up and down Canal St. and look for gold and gold-plated things.  I can't stand it because the area is crowded and feels like a thieves' market.  Still, you can find lots of stuff.

Wear cushy shoes, and have fun.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Women are the one group that grows more radical with age." --Gloria Steinem
fididdly
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008 09:46:03 PM »

I forgot:  Try Broadway from Herald Square on south, where there are lots of "retail to the public" sorts of jewelry/bag/wig stores.  You might find scharms and/or pendants.  But that probably should be farther down your list of places to look. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Women are the one group that grows more radical with age." --Gloria Steinem
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Understanding the Diamond Cut
What Are the Four "C"S in Diamonds
Different Shapes in Diamonds
Diamond Buying Tips
Jewellery Making UK
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...