A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,731
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Present for my sick friend?  (Read 473 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cocomoo
« on: December 15, 2007 10:52:29 PM »

My best friend is in the hospital and most likely will be there for Christmas. I want to make her some stuff just to give her a lift...
she likes
~leonardo dicaprio
~writing
~movies/celebrity gossip/tv etc...

got any clever ideas?!

thanks for your help
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007 07:54:53 AM »

Notebook and pens and pencils for writing,and one of those mini pencil sharpeners.A lap desk makes writing easier,and can even help prop up a book.Maybe cut pictures and headlines out of celebrity gossip magazines to decorate either?Even a plain notebook from the drugstore would be fine,just glue on a few celebrity cutouts maybe.A package of colored pens is fun-we all like to doodle!I'd get a crossword or puzzle magazine even if you don't know if she does them or not-sometimes you're bored and don't feel like watching tv.They sell Ruth Heller coloring books in the kid's section of a bookstore,but adults buy them too.Lots of geometric images on each page,fun to fill in.Markers would bleed through to the other side,but colored pencils work.Or even crayons.The metaphysical/new age section has very cool mandala coloring books meant for grownups.
My daughter had a lap desk years ago-the back was padded,the top flat,but the top was hinged on the edge like a box-you could put magazines and pencils inside,and there was a lip on the edge to keep pencils from rolling off.Heck,a shoebox style box you've decorated and filled with little things would be great.Treats,if you're VERY sure she can have them.Sometimes the hospital has you on a restricted diet,or even if they don't,may need to monitor what is eaten or drunk.If she's allowed to have them,mints and hard candy are great.
Does she have to share a room? Would she like a sleep mask? Does she have a cheap cd player or radio with earphones-makes it easier to tune out roommate/hospital noises.My husband has a bedside cd player he just kept turned low; it helped a lot when he was in the hospital.
Would she like you to do her nails or hair?How about a pin to wear on her hospital gown?Bedroom slippers for when they make you get up and walk.Slipper socks for cold feet,or just a fun pair of warm socks.
I don't have good photoshop or computer skills,but if you do,it would be fun to do a fake headline about how Leonard Dicapricio is heartbroken and inconsolable because best friend's in the hospital,and is going to join a monestary until she's better.Make a big poster of that,or just a get well poster,hang it on the wall of her room where she can see it.Bring pushpins,and a roll of tape if they won't let you pin it to the wall.
Something helpfull would be to print out a sheet of phone numbers of friends and relatives for her.You could laminate it,I just slipped one into a plastic sleeve from the office/school supply section of the drugstore.It could go right on her little bedside table and be handy.
My husband was in the hospital last christmas.I got a stocking for him and filled it.You could just buy a cheap one,or make one if you want.
I hope some of this helps-good luck to your friend!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50% both shops
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
Craftinator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007 11:36:54 AM »

What about some hand-crochet or knit hair thingys?  Bed hair is soooo annoying.  There are lots of tutes here on the crochet and knit boards.  I was going to list a few things but there were just too many to choose from!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Purl Stitch
How to Do a Garter Stitch
Getting Introduced to Pottery
Great Ideas for Cheap Halloween Costumes
Pottery Making: How to Make Funky Vases
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...