A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  Please take a moment to congratulate and thank our newest Craftster Moderators, lindyv321, pottermouth, PerfectlyBohemian, Mistress Jennie and LovelyMiss!
Total Members: 305,673
Currently Running With Scissors:
387 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is there such a yarn out there?  (Read 629 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

liebschien

"Do or do not - there is no try." - Yoda

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 12, 2007 09:22:05 PM »

I have a knitting friend who hates wool and wool-esque yarns. She has recently discovered Lion Brand Homespun and likes the weight, the way it feels, and the multi-colors, but she doesn't like how bumpy it is.

Is there a colorful, bulky-weight yarn, made up of synthetic and/or plant fibers, that is not bumpy, fuzzy, boucle, eyelash-y, or anything weird like that? Something that has a straight-ish texture?

I would like to get her some for Christmas.

Thank you!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamakass
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007 11:10:29 PM »

I would suggest going to a site that sells a lot of yarn (like yarnmarket.com) or yarndex.com (not a store, but it has information about a lot of yarns) and do a search for bulky yarns. You can specify in both of these what type of fiber you want and some other things. That would probably give you the best idea for finding it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cuando despert, el dinosaurio todava estaba all.
-Augusto Monterroso
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007 11:16:53 PM »

Bernat Softee Chunky. It's not quite as bulky as Homespun but it's not bumpy or anything like that.... and it's cheap too.

http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=softeechunky&SPP=999
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007 11:18:42 PM by leppardess - Reason: edited to add in link » THIS ROCKS   Logged
liebschien

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007 01:08:47 PM »

I would suggest going to a site that sells a lot of yarn (like yarnmarket.com) or yarndex.com (not a store, but it has information about a lot of yarns) and do a search for bulky yarns. You can specify in both of these what type of fiber you want and some other things. That would probably give you the best idea for finding it.

Great idea. I did that and didn't find what I was looking for. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the suggestion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

liebschien

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007 01:11:13 PM »

Bernat Softee Chunky. It's not quite as bulky as Homespun but it's not bumpy or anything like that.... and it's cheap too.

http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=softeechunky&SPP=999

Oh, yeah. I've used that yarn once before. It feels really cheap. Other than that it is an okay yarn, but not good enough to give to my friend for Christmas.

But, I found a seller on etsy who had some bulky cotton yarn in her ebay store. I bid on it so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I win!

Thanks for the suggestion. It was a good one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreeFish
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007 09:32:39 PM »

I don't like bumpy yarns either.

I just taught myself to knit about 2 weeks ago, so I'm not the best reviewer of yarns yet, but I found some yarn at Hobby Lobby that I so fell in love with. It's Yarn Bee brand (I think that's their in house yarn brand) and it's called Mosaic Twist. I got it on sale for 99 cents a ball (3 oz, 84 yards and was priced at $6.64 each). This sale has been going on for at least several weeks, although I'm not completely sure if it is still. It's 36% Polyamide (no clue what that is), 11% cotton, 35% wool and 18% acrylic. it's a super Bulky yarn and recommends size 15 needles. While it looks fine on those, I also did a swatch on size 9s and I liked it even more.

I just adore how it knits up and it was a pleasure to work with. I had bought only 3 balls to do a scarf, and when I realized how much I liked it i went back out and bought 20 more balls just to keep on hand. Won't hurt to check it out Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
liebschien

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007 12:01:41 AM »

It's Yarn Bee brand (I think that's their in house yarn brand) and it's called Mosaic Twist. I got it on sale for 99 cents a ball (3 oz, 84 yards and was priced at $6.64 each)...when I realized how much I liked it i went back out and bought 20 more balls just to keep on hand.

Ooooh! I looked up some pictures of that yarn - very pretty! And can't beat that price. Kudos and thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlebluegirl
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007 07:36:08 PM »

Just my two pence (cents) worth! ThreeFish, polyamide is Nylon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 1/6
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/6
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/6
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 9/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 4/29
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...