A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! I need a vegetarian dish for spanish class!  (Read 973 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aaavalon
« on: December 15, 2007 05:41:55 PM »

So, it's almost winter break here, and we're having a potluck in Spanish class this friday. Everyone's assignment was to make a dish from any Spanish-speaking country, document the process of making it, and write a few words about it. I'd really like any ideas/recipes for preferably vegetarian dishes (we have a vegetarian in our class, and it seems everyone is making meat dishes! Just looking out for her... Smiley) If you could also provide the country of origin, or anything i should know, that'd be just swell.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaghetti
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007 08:06:33 AM »

Hi there,

It's awesome that you're looking out for the girl in your class who's vegetarian -- as someone who's been to several potlucks where the only thing that I could eat was what I brought, I thank you on her behalf.  Wink  There are quite a few vegetarian tapas recipes (from Spain).  Here's a recipe for Tortilla Espanola.  This recipe boils the potato and onion in a lot of oil, which is the authentic way to do it, but I've also seen recipes where you pan-fry or saute them.  (Or you could steam the potatoes and saute the onions.)  You could also do a chickpea salad or marinated mushrooms and/or olives.  You could make Cuban black beans and rice (here's one recipe -- and I like it with chopped mango in place of the red pepper).  And I'm sure that there are others that I'm forgetting... Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
L-train
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007 11:26:30 AM »

The first thing I thought of was gazpacho. I'm not sure whether the traditional recipe would be vegetarian, but I'm sure it could easily be vegetarianized. I bet you could make some sort of vegetarian paella if you wanted something more substantial. I think spaghetti's suggestion of tapas is a great idea. I've been to Spain a couple times but I can't remember what I ate. Technically I'm a pescetarian so I have a bit more leeway. I remember ordering seafood paella in Cadiz and it ended up being slathered in pork grease. (Luckily I don't have ethical or health issues with eating meat. I just don't like it.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bronzecase

"Do crafts, not drugs!" - That 70's Show

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007 08:18:18 AM »

* I second the idea of the tortilla espanola, especially since it's a fabulous finger food for a crowd. You can add extra veggies in it too, like red and green peppers, corn, and/or mushrooms to make it extra festive. Cut into small slices or squares, serve with some toothpicks, and you've got a perfect Spanish appetizer.

Another good Spanish tapa would be the Ensaladilla Rusa ("Russian Salad"), which is basically a potato salad with vegetables. Here's an example: http://www.spain-recipes.com/ensaladilla-rusa.html

Vegetable paella is also an option.

* I stayed in Costa Rica for a month, and must admit that gallo pinto, the national dish of beans and rice, was very, VERY common. My host mother fixed it nearly every day, and we even ate it for breakfast. Check out http://www.recipezaar.com/78747 for a recipe.

Buena suerte! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007 08:19:57 AM by bronzecase » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lizabethanqueen
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007 08:29:55 PM »

You can also bake a tortilla.  You use boiled or baked potato instead of raw.  Cut them into small pieces and mix with enough eggs to coat.  I like to add roasted garlic, sweated onions and fresh red bell peppers.  You can also add green peas which is more traditional.  Bake it at about 375 in a foil lined pan (it makes it a lot easier to get out of the pan).

As for ensalada russa.  My family's mix is potatoes, a can of green peas, a can of sliced carrots, roasted red peppers in slices, giant pimento olives, boiled eggs and mayo.  We also add tuna, but that's optional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Foisty
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008 06:29:53 PM »

Well if you make mole with vegtable stock and use poetatos its vegan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Perfect Bruléed Pumpkin Pie for the Holidays
How to Bake a Stress-Free Pie Like the Pros at Magnolia Bakery
How To Make A Lighter Pumpkin Pie
How To Decorate A Gingerbread House
The Secret to Making a Perfect Pie Crust
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...