A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 306,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing in the ends of a project?  (Read 560 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loruhhh
« on: July 29, 2008 08:27:36 PM »

I just finished crocheting over 200 granny squares, and so now I am trying to hide the ends of the yarn in them. I'm having a really hard time doing this though! And it is taking a very long time. Does anyone have tips or some easy techniques to do this? Any help would be very appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Esjay82
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008 05:44:01 PM »

if i'm makin a blanket i usually tie a knot when i join the colour if it can be hidden just to add stability.. n then i crochet over the new yarn tail and old one for the next few stitches, so i tend to hide most of my yarn tails as i go, so i am not faced with millions at the end. thats just how i do it if i can.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008 03:03:22 AM »

You should do it as you go along, then it wouldn't be so overwhelming!  I'm making an afghan right now, and I just sew in the ends when I'm done with a square.  What I do is just try to go under the loops that are sort of sticking out.  I put the needle through first, but before pulling it through I check the front to make sure I can't see it.  Then I pull through and trim any excess yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tjw1963
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008 09:25:08 AM »

Sometimes I will just crochet over the ends as I make the square but there will always be tails that need sewn in.  I have used a tiny dab of washable fabric glue to secure the tails of the yarn.  I am with the other person who previously said that they sew the tails in as they go.  Sewing in tails is not fun at all.  Cry 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loruhhh
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008 10:10:22 AM »

I will definitely keep it in mind next time to do it as I go.  I did crochet over parts of the tails but I don't think its enough to be secure. :/ I'm going to ask my mom to help me so it might go faster. n_n

Thanks for the suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marleen
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008 11:41:32 AM »

I like to sew my ends in with a darning needle.  It is so much easier to just thread the end into the needle and then guide the needle through a number of stitches at one time.  Snip the end and you are done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marleen
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms
Your Dog Oughta Be In Pictures
Meatless Monday: Spicy White Bean Dip

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...