A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handmade Christmas Bon Bons!!!!!!! TUT ON PAGE 3!!!  (Read 7020 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , christmas_cracker  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missmeganmisery

Painted Flowers Have No Scent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007 03:21:21 PM »

THOSE LOOK AMAZING!!!
sooo professional looking
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Megan Misery
I do personal swaps. =]

My Wists:
http://www.wists.com/missmeganmisery
Astica
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007 03:39:43 PM »

I really wanted to make some of these a few years ago... think I was 13 or 14 at the time actually XD

But I couldn't find the things that make them make noise for the life of me  Undecided
Where did you get them?

Also - where'd you get the hats? Or did you make them somehow?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elliebelly123
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007 04:11:36 PM »

Ok, firstly, WOW!!!!! Thanks so much everyone for all your comments!!!!!

I've been looking around since seeing this, and I can't figure out how you cut the sides to make them fold. Did you use a punch? Fold and nip them? I'd love to make these for my wedding!
I too would like to know how to make these! I saw some at world market and thought they were a little to expensive. But if I could make them, that would be really fun! Would you mind making a tut or posting a link with directions?

Here is a mini tut.

Well, I can sort of explain how I did it. For one bon bon I used one piece of A4 cardboard. first, you measure how long the toilet roll is and mark that in the middle of the cardboard like this

Then draw two more lines about 1 inch further out of the line you just drew.

Then, you put a line down the centre of those two lines, like this

Now, you draw lots of little lines about 1cm (1/2 an inch) apart. You only need to go about two thirds of the way, depending on the size of you toilet roll.

Now draw little triangles in between those lines, but make sure they're not touching. Then cut them out with a stanley knife. MAKE SURE YOU CUT OUT THE RED TRIANGLES, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!!

*THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT STEP, WHICH I  ALWAYS FORGET!!!!*
Get your snap and tape it to the inside of your toilet roll.

Cut off the excess cardboard and wrap it around your toilet roll. secure with tape. Now close one side of the bon bon with ribbon. Put your goodies inside and close up the other side with ribbon too. Secure the ends with tape too.

Now get some pretty paper, cut it to the right size and wrap it around and stick with tape. You can use ribbon too, and all sorts of other things. Whatever you can think of.  Smiley

I hope that make sense. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Thanks again everyone!!!!
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman."  Coco Chanel
elliebelly123
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007 04:17:20 PM »

I really wanted to make some of these a few years ago... think I was 13 or 14 at the time actually XD

But I couldn't find the things that make them make noise for the life of me  Undecided
Where did you get them?

Also - where'd you get the hats? Or did you make them somehow?

The snaps I got from spotlight. I think they only sell them at Christmas time though. Same with the hats. But I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to make them. Smiley

I'm sure if you look around in some craft shops and Christmas shops you should find some. Maybe the post Xmas sales???

Thanks!!!!!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman."  Coco Chanel
littlebluegirl
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007 06:37:50 PM »

Hey, these are great! I was expecting sweeties (candy) as bon bons are a kind of sweet here in the UK.  As another craftster mentioned we call these Christmas Crackers.  Yours are AMAZING! Unique, beautiful and SO well made.  You do indeed ROCK! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darkladymajesta
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007 07:53:26 PM »

Ok, just so I get this right. (and I had to make a diagram)

The pink is what you cut away. The green line is where you eventually will tie ribbon. And the arrow is the direction the TP roll... rolls? I just don't understand where you tape it so the string is pulled when it is ripped open.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
metalpunkmonster
obsessive crocheter

Mmmmm... Yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007 08:44:10 PM »

thanks for the tut!!!  those are so cool.  i never thought to make my own.  i'll definitely make some for my christmas party!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make crafts and people. Also crafts for said people.
elliebelly123
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007 01:46:37 AM »

Ok, just so I get this right. (and I had to make a diagram)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2172/2113597605_9560f70d3b_m.jpg[/img]
The pink is what you cut away. The green line is where you eventually will tie ribbon. And the arrow is the direction the TP roll... rolls? I just don't understand where you tape it so the string is pulled when it is ripped open.

Firstly, there is no excess cardboard at the top and bottom!!!! Only some at the side, and it depends on the size of your toilet roll.

You've got everything else right, though. I don't really know how to answer your question, but you stick the snap to the inside of the toilet roll with tape. Then you wrap the cardboard around the roll and tape the seam. the snap should be sticking out both ends so you can hold it when you pull the bon bon open. I hope that helps!!! I reckon if you try making a trial one, then it'll all fall into place and you'll figure out what to do.  Smiley

Thanks littlebluegirl and metalpunkmonster!!!!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008 05:58:56 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

witchybelle4u2
I am the terror that flaps in the night...

"I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007 05:28:17 AM »

Sweet! They look just as good as my store bought crackers. I'm now ashamed of myself for wimping out and not making them myself...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Careful...there are occupational hazards to being a god." (The Transcendent Pig)
taunya1978
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2007 07:06:25 AM »

awww I should of made some!  We use to do those every christmas.  they were my favorite part.  ours use to come with tissue paper crowns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Joe Brenman on Creating Murals
Ed Bronstein on Becoming a Painter
Paintings by Ed Bronstein
How to Carve a Drawing on Wood
Meet Baybayin Artist Ameurfina Nazario
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...