A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,030
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are you making for Christmas this year (2008)?  (Read 60496 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stephkucera
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008 01:46:38 PM »

I'm starting on my handmade gifts already--if I don't start now, they'll never get finished!

Pretty much everybody on my list (mom, brother, MIL, SILs, and coworkers) will get fabric grocery bags using this AWESOME tutorial--
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=177482.0
I've been scouring Goodwill for cool tablecloths, curtains, and sheets.  I totally lucked out and found a red toile Pottery Barn (!) table runner to make bags for one of my SILs.

MIL & SILs--wine glass charms & casserole carriers in addition to their bags
nieces (11, 8, 7)--personalized journals using the Zutter I got for Christmas last year and tons of scrap paper I've been saving, maybe smaller versions of the fabric grocery bags?
son (will be 2yo)--any suggestions???

I need help with the guys--dad, brothers, BILs, husband

Stephanie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008 09:57:01 PM »

So I thought I would throw this out there.  If you go to my  you will find a tutorial for terrariums made out of clear Christmas Bulbs.  How inexpensive is that.. not to mention clever... and I should add a WAY cool.  I plan on making some for myself and hanging them from my window.   You might also want to nose around as I tend to bookmark inexpensive craft ideas for presents.  www.wists/Janos.. I hope you find some things!

Things I plan on making

The door knob junk holder for my BF
The Bulbs
A knitted monkey for my daughter
The scarf on my wist list called besotted (easy and working on it now)
A Dallas Cowboys blanket for my brother

An art caddy for my son and daughter.  This is made out of tin cans (fabric or paper to decorate the outside) and then screwed onto a handle made out of wood - again I'll find the directions if you are interested

Superhero cape

A dog leash from Annamarie  horners ( think thats right) blog -- fabric covered.. soooo cute

fire starters made out of melted wax and pine cones (melt wax in muffin tin, insert pine cone - let it set up

That's all for now.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008 10:08:39 PM »

Go check out my wists and you will find a lot of Xmas ideas...

I plan on making the Terrariums made out of clear xmas bulbs
The doorknob junk holder
a fabric leash for a dog from AnnaMarie Honers blog (do a search)
an art caddy for my son and daughter made out of  fabric covered tin cans screwed to a wooden carry handle (I have directions if interested)
The besotted  XOXO scarf on my wists page.. I love it and it's my first cable project-- if I tell you it's easy.. it is..

I also LOVE the idea of take the glass blocks, drilling a hole in them- shoving lights in and putting a ribbon on it. 
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=140603.msg1383090
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008 10:13:20 PM by jnaos - Reason: found URL » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008 04:30:47 PM »

so my list is pretty empty so far. but this is my list now, until christmas! as usual, only bits and bobs will be crafted, no matter how ambitious i am, but this list on craftster helps me keep up with my ideas! wrapping this year will be brown paper with red twine, and potato stamped christmas tree tags. i recently moved for uni and everyone has been very supportive. i love the area so i'd like to give a lot of people newcastle-oriented things.
Completed
Bought
In Progress

Mum - Lloyd Cole and the Commotions CD, - 
Step-Dad - selection of local beers
Dad - crochet brain slug (he turned out so tiny, eek), drawing of bridges over the Tyne, fused plastic elephants mobile, -
Brother - something from topman, he fears the shop but loves the clothes.
Step-Sis - Enid Blyton's Magical Faraway Tree Collection book

G'ma -
G'dad - turkish delight/sweets from local market
Nannie - monet notecards   

The Boy - t-shirts, love coupons, 2009 Moleskine diary, Wall-E on bluray, -
Boy's Mum - the usual mound of baked goods in a kitschy tin.
Boy's Bro - coal. pah. i'll think of something.

Hannah - nice hardbacked edition of jane eyre
Liam - decorated snack bowls
Amy

Kathryn
Zara
Jen
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008 11:52:26 AM by cheesedip » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
BadWolf
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008 06:47:06 PM »

I started my boyfriend's present while I was in Iowa visiting family. I can't really say what it is, cause he comes here sometimes. So yea...

BUT for everyone else!

Mom: Hat, scarf, earrings
Dad: Hat, scarf,
Step Mom: scarf
Brothers: Harry Potter scarves and hats
Chick Friends: Earrings, scarves, aprons

My boyfriend and I are planning on making liquers/cordials this winter for friends and family. I have a longer list of what I am making for people upstairs...I usually go through the list and pick which ideas are best for which people. I also bought The Big Ass Book of Crafts this summer and I looooove it, so I will be putting that to use.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008 11:41:56 PM »

Ok I'm getting some more ideas filtering through... these are my ideas, not a final list. Perhaps they can help inspire someone else too.

I bake every year so this year I am keeping my baby formula containers for the 'baskets'. A manual can opener removes the inside lip and I will cover them in fabric or printed paper and a little ribbon to cover the top rim and mask any sharp bits. I will check out some new cookie recipes and probably add some hot chocolate mix and a recycled formula scoop for it.

Mum and Nan and possibly the in'laws will probably get some frozen meals, particularly lunches for mum who never eats well.

my son who will be 1 1/2 at Christmas will be getting a fabric bowling set and a new fabric book, probably shapes or colours this year. Last year's alphabet book has become a hit, yay!

Mum might also get a makeup hamper with some cosmetics and some homemade facial masks and stuff.

DH - crap, I don't know Sad he is so difficult. I would like to try some warm knitted bed socks but all that stuff is kinds hard as Christmas is summer time here.

That's about all I have right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
sewingsweetie
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008 03:51:51 PM »

Ooh I really need to get my list finalized.  I usually make the list and procrastinate until December so I end up buying 95% of my gifts.  This year I want to make almost everything.

The List:
Aunts/Gramma/Older Female Cousins (age range 20-75) 15 in total - tea wallets, and baked goodies (shortbread, truffles, peppermint bark)

Mum - crochet shawl? (no pattern yet)

Future Step Dad - non embarrassing hat/scarf set

Foster Brother (7) and Foster Sister (7) - Library Bags with book

Foster Sister (13) - Jewelery making kit??

Niece (5) and Nephew (3) - Library Bags with book

Nephew (2.9) - Huh

Daughter (5) - Doorway puppet theater, puppets (sewn), Finger Puppets (sewn and crocheted), Maybe make puppets to correspond to new books??, hat and scarf, button hair elastics in stocking, crochet Gabu for stocking

Son (2.9) - Teepee, crochet balls, soft book

Husband - Doctor Who stenciled Tee Shirts, Buy new pottery mug off etsy, maybe etched glasses with old school Nintendo??, crochet juggling balls

Kids cousin swap (unknown age/gender) - won't know who we get til thanksgiving

Daughter's Teacher/Son's daycare provider - Huh

Wow I'm going to be busy!!!  Luckily I don't exchange gifts with my 2 brothers and sisters in law or my sister and brother in law.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommyg2a
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008 03:18:12 PM »

My list is kind of long but not all is homemade

1. My dh I found this really cool tattoo fabric and I am gonna some pj pants. I also saw this really cool love letter pillow. You but one of those small pillows with a white pillowcase or color of your choosing and use a fabric pen and write a love letter on the pillowcase. I was also thinking some sort of treat.

2. 3 boys ages 4,5,6 I am gonna make capes, character pillow cases with a matching book and bedding, pj pants with stenciled shirts

3. 2 girls both age 2 I am working on a dress up chest, pj's, character pillowcases with matching book and bedding, and girl capes.

4. My gramma something with cats but I don't know what yet
5. my mom I was thinking something made by the kids and maybe a spa basket
6. My dad I don't know yet
7. My 20 year old brother I have no clue
8. my 8 year old brother probably pj pants and stenciled shirts and maybe a cape.
9. my 1 year old neice pjs and maybe the pillowcase with matching book
10. my sister I don't know maybe something made by her kids. I have custody of three of them.
My neighbors are getting 2 baskets one with edible treats and one with house stuff
on top of all of that I want to redo my bedroom. Well here is hoping something actually gets done.! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wallsmom
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008 07:15:53 AM »

Well, I'm new to this whole thing. BUT, I loving it so far. I really need to get on the ball. THe only thing I know I'm doing is crocheting an angel wall hanging for my mom, and it's almost done. I already have all the fabric and the pattern to make my daughter a nice quilt for her bed. The ones I'm really stuck on are my sister and her three kids- boy (18), girl (16) and another girl (11). What do you make for an 18 year old boy?? I would love to hear any ideas!! Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahmakes
Sarah likes to make stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008 09:29:17 AM »

I have bought some supplies now! Almost officially started!

Mom--a crocheted wrap (rectangle shawl) to wear when she goes on a cruise next year--I found balls of shiny icy blue yarn on clearance for $1 at Michaels--Amazing! Also, a tea wallet with an owl embroidered on the front.

Dad--Dr. Who theme--a Tardis tissue box cover for his desk, a Tardis Nintendo DS cozy, and an embroidered wall hanging of a Dalek

Brother (28)--a Super Mario Bros. cross-stitch wall hanging, and some funny hand-embroidered patches

Grandmother--maybe a photo wallet of some sort to carry pics of her great-grandchildren

Little girls, ages 6 months to 5 years, including my 2 daughters and 6 nieces--tutus, with a ribbon added with her name so they can tell them apart

nephew (5)--crocheted juggling balls (that is, if he still thinks juggling is cool in six months)

Possible ideas for sisters-in-law if I draw their names (the gift drawing makes it hard to plan)--crocheted shrug, store-bought cosmetics bags personalized with hand-embroidered appliqus

Preschool teachers--trying my hand at Alton Brown's homemade marshmallows

People left on my list:
grandfather (75)
grandmother-in-law (75)
brothers-in-law if I draw any of their names
nephews ages 4 to 8
mother-in-law (elementary school teacher's aid, crocheter)
father-in-law (forestry worker, hunter)
husband (35, bank manager, Superman fanatic, lover of all things 80s, golfer)

One possibility for the men is camouflage neck warmers, either crocheted or sewn from fleece
The men all hunt and the boys aspire to hunt, so forest camo is always a possibility, but most of them already have gloves and hats and other necessities for keeping warm. Any suggestions for something they might not have?

I am out of ideas for my grandmother-in-law, and my husband and mother-in-law always say they have no idea. She does not need blankets and will not wear house shoes. She sits at home and crochets most of the time, but has more hooks and yarn than anyone knows what to do with. Any suggestions?

My in-laws have 12 grandchildren and are always gaining more. Any suggestions for people who LOVE being grandparents more than anything in the world?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008 09:31:27 AM by sarahmakes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Finish Graffiti Art
How to Add Detail to Graffiti Art
How to Add Fill to Graffiti Art
How to Sketch Graffiti Art
How to Start Graffiti Project
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...