A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,146
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are you making for Christmas this year (2008)?  (Read 59547 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarahmakes
Sarah likes to make stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008 08:36:11 AM »

Hi! I just started my Christmas crafting, too. I have school and kids so I have to start early. Here are the ideas I've got so far:

Mom: tea wallets. She carries tea everywhere she goes, so I'm making one for her purse and a bigger one for traveling. The bigger one will have an owl embroidered on the front. I'm including mint that I have grown and dried as homemade tea.

Brother (age 28): a cross-stitched wall hanging of the ages of Super Mario. Pattern here: http://www.spritestitch.com/?p=108

Nieces (ages 5, 5, 2, 2, 2, 1): Tutus!

Daycare teachers: homemade candy

Another niece and nephew: Patches hand-embroidered on fleece, along with a "coupon" for me to sew them on something for them

Still need ideas for:
Nephews ages 8, 5, 4, and 3
Dad
Grandparents/great-grandparents from my children

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008 07:17:48 PM »

I will go start a new thread--- It shall be titles--Christmas 2008 what are you making this year..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008 07:28:16 PM »

Since the other thread is on page 22 a few suggested we start a new thread for the 2008 year.  I know I do not care to sort through 22 pages to find ideas and suggestions for the 2008 year.  This year I am making the HUGE  S&P shakers from the Big Ass Book of Crafts for anyone adult--- I don't know about the fabric part, yet.. I may just etch-- but I LOVE the idea of it....I am saving the salsa jars for this project.  If you are interested and not sure what I am talking about PM me and I can send a picture over to you.  There are some really great ideas to launch off from in that book.. I love it!

Last year my friend made a tote bag for my son-  the crayon holders were on the outside of the bag (think needle roll holder) and the inside she loaded it with art supplies-- he loves it.  I have a couple of other ideas that I will post tonight, when the the kids aren't trying to get on the keyboard with me.

I'll also try to keep a running list of ideas etc on this thread in this first page spot if no one minds, that is...

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008 09:19:20 PM by jnaos » THIS ROCKS   Logged
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008 09:18:20 PM »

Yay! I'm going to need this thread this year, it's getting to be about time to start and I have so many new decorations to start too. Whew, so much to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
Ezri_B
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008 08:53:09 AM »

"Babies" 1 niece, 1 nephew, 1 baby cousin (1, 2, 1)-
*will be making a fabric name book. or felt houses

"Little Girls" 2 nieces (4&5)-
*Tutus (Birthdays are right before Christmas)
*PJ Pants/Felt Houses
*I'd like to make them each their own personalized doll quilt like I made here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=257076.msg2872199#msg2872199
*Cranium Activity Books (Purchased)

"Bigger Girls" 2 nieces (11 & 8 )- Again not quite sure yet.
*PJs
*Cranium Activity Book (Purchased)
*a personalized doll quilt?

"My Boys" 3 boys (8, 9, & 12)-
*Stockings
*pj pants w/matching shirts
*?

husband (35)-
*Dr who underpants (I already started these, so he may get them for b-day instead, cuz they're cute)
*Dr. Who quilt?
*Checkbook Cover

"Old Ladies" Mother IN Law, Step MIL, Mother, Step Mother, 3 Grandmas, Aunt
*Basket With a crocheted dishtowel, embroidered tea towel, and homemade vanilla
*Pic of the kids

Dad, DIL, Grandpas-
*Not sure yet

teachers and crossing guards-
*Not sure yet

That's everyone I can think of. I'll update this as I think of or start other things.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008 07:41:31 AM by Ezri_B » THIS ROCKS   Logged

iloveoctopus
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008 05:13:51 AM »

i was thinking this year since my family decided that the siblings and their significant others would each pick a name to shop for that i am going to make everyone new stockings, our's are old and we keep misplacing them and they don't really reflect us anymore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahmakes
Sarah likes to make stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008 11:45:19 AM »

Hi! I am glad to see this thread going. I am already working on my list (working on the list, not the projects yet!). I posted in the old forum, but I'll just repeat myself here and add a little more. As you will see in my list, we have a very fertile family.

I'm getting into making hand-embroidered patches, so several people will get those.

Brother (27): Ages of Mario cross-stitched wall hanging, using this pattern:
http://www.spritestitch.com/?p=108
I'm also going to make him a patch that looks like a name tag sticker that says "Hello, my name is AWESOME"
He'll get a kick out of that.

Mom: Tea wallets, one for her purse and one for travel. I never heard of such a thing until I found Craftster, and it is so perfect for her. The bigger one will have an owl embroidered on the front. Maybe a tea cup on the smaller one. I am also going to include some home-grown mint tea (I don't have bags--I need to check into that).

Nieces and daughters (5,5,4,2,2,2,1,1): Tutus!

Daughters (4,1): in addition to tutus, I think I'll make them a baby doll bed
Stocking stuffers will be art supplies

Another niece and nephew: embroidered patches of various fantasy and woodland creatures along with a "coupon" for me to sew them on whatever they choose

Husband: I don't know, but he says he wants a toboggan hat with a pom-pom on top like he wore as a kid. I don't see him wearing it in public, but since he asked for it, I might oblige.

Left on my list:
Dad (accountant, sci-fi and computer fan)
Mother- and Father-in-law
Nephews (8,5,5,3,2)--I don't know anything about little boys, especially 8-year-old ones
Grandmother-in-law (very old, doesn't leave house and crochets all day long)
Gift from my kids to their grandparents and great-grandparents
More for husband
whomever I get in the drawing, on both sides of the family

On the subject of giving hand-made gifts, I have been disappointed by reactions in the past, but I have also been pleased by them. People are just different and I have finally decided that I can't worry so much whether they like it or not. I want them to like it, but I can't predict or control whether they do or not. I've had my feelings hurt before because someone gave me money as a gift, but I know a lot of people would love to get money. I'm in favor of a totally hand-made Christmas, and I hope that my example makes my girls grow up to appreciate handmade gifts. (I think I'll try to purchase gifts from Etsy, too, if I can't make something for everyone--it eliminates the lead paint toy problems we had last year!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008 03:32:11 AM »

Nicolatte - did you see the cooking mama apron project? Something like that would look so good with a cookbook! And those button bouquets are adorable, and so easy to customise to different colour schemes.

I am still at quite a loss, I have a few people who are extrodinarily hard to buy for and some who just don't need anything cause they buy everything themselves  Undecided. I was thinking of putting some freezer meals (homemade) into hampers for my Mum - who works heaps - and Nan - who doesn't really cook for herself anymore. It would be pretty inexpensive and I love to cook. I'm sure I would have more options if it were winter instead of summer for our Christmas Undecided, then I could do slippers and scarves and blankets that could be used straight away.

Anyway, good luck crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
greenapples

I have a knitting obsessed baby boy!

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008 09:55:43 AM »

This year I'm making:

DD(4): socks, an "I spy" bag, crayon roll, knit sweater (Drive-Thru by Wendy Bernard), washcloths, soap
DS(1):blanket, sweater, socks, washcloths, soap
Nephew(2): Crayon Roll & matching "I Spy" bag
Nephew(5): Crayon Roll & Matching "I Spy" bag
GMIL: Bath Basket (soaps, wash cloths, etc)
BFF: Evangeline
DH: Winter hat
Dad: Socks
Sister: A pair of Evangeline fingerless mitts

(Items that have a strike through them are done!)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008 05:13:46 AM by greenapples » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like something I've made? I'm always up for personal swaps - just send me a PM!
Kimi
Domestic Apprentice

Learning the art of thrifty creativity!

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008 11:22:38 PM »

This is a great thread! Hopefully I can get some ideas Smiley By Christmas, I hope to have made the following...

*Sister and her three daughters -- Poppets (4), hopefully each with 2 outfits. (Thanks ghilie!) Maybe even a shoe or two Wink
*Her husband and three older sons -- Fleece pocket-blankets (4), personalized with their names on the pocket. (They will fold up into a pillow.)
*Her baby son who will be almost 18 months -- Itty bitty oddities! (2 or 3) (Thanks Odd Dotty Dollmaker!) Or possibly just a ball or toy from the leftover fleece.
*My husband's sister -- a sock kitty!
*My little family -- Christmas stockings and PJ-pants for each of us (4 of each)

I still need ideas for my impossible-to-shop-for parents, HIS parents (easy to please though), and his brother and his wife (also difficult to shop for). I'm excited though. I've already gotten started! I have the fabric for the fleece blankets and the Poppets, and one of the Poppets is already mostly done -- she just needs hair and clothes.

Hopefully something in here will pop out at me!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008 08:15:24 AM by Kimi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's inspiration everywhere!
Crafting for my sons, 5 and 3, and just about anyone else I meet!
My Wists
My Ravelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Trace Is in Soap Making
The Art of Flower Pressing
The Art of Quilting
The Art of Pen Turning
A Lesson in Paper Cutting
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...