A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are you making for Christmas this year (2008)?  (Read 58906 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

angeltreats
« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2008 09:38:51 AM »

Oh and one of the cats (inevitably Pokey) will run off with a vital ingredient which will only be found again three weeks after Christmas/after a replacement has been purchased.  Cats... who'd have them?

BTW everything you've just described sounds like your Christmas ornaments I made - although I don't know if you end up loving them yet! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahmakes
Sarah likes to make stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2008 05:52:47 PM »

Here's my list and progress:

Mom (mid-50s): crocheted shawl to wear on her cruise to Alaska (shimmery blue)**half finished--in danger of not finishing!**
Dad (mid-50s): plastic canvas Tardis tissue box cover; embroidered Dalek picture**imaged transferred to fabric**
Brother (27): Super Mario cross-stitched picture**one-third finished**
Husband: set of painted boxer shorts with super hero emblems**not started, no supplies purchased**
Daughters and nieces (ages 1-5): tutus**finished!!!!**
Nephew (5): set of crocheted juggling balls and a bag to keep them in**not started but supplies on hand**
Grandmother-in-law: photo album decorated with Scrabble tiles**all ready to go--just need to glue them on**

THIS ROCKS   Logged

phreed83
« Reply #172 on: November 17, 2008 09:29:57 AM »

I recently started crocheting and have a few practice projects out of the way and just started on the gifts.  I'm planning:
  • I-scarves (short scarves with pockets for ipods) for my sister, brother and far-away friend. One is half done. Pattern link - http://crochetme.com/patterns/short-iscarf-women-s
  • Mr. Funky's bunny in a dress (black dress with appliqued skull and striped pirate hat & leggings) for both my daughter & niece (both are 10) - this may have to change to something smaller & easier - Pattern here http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/FunkyBunny.html
  • Large ninja squid amigurumi for my 15-year-old nephew. Pattern link - http://crochetme.com/patterns/amigurumi-squid
  • Set of 6 Potter Puppet Pal crocheted finger puppets for my 16-year-old daughter. Pattern link - http://www.innerchildcrochet.com/patterns/pppp_kids.html
  • Amigurumi candy cane ornaments for my 6 Girl Scouts - one test ornament made.
  • Crocheted apple potholder for my GS co-leader
  • Pillow for my grandmother made from the first quilt she ever made (she gave it to me a few years ago in pretty tattered condition) - started last year so almost done.
  • Homemade red pepper jelly for my 2 brothers-in-law
  • A vintage pyrex glass apple filled with chocolate kisses for my daughter's teacher -- beaded pointsettia pin (an extra from some made last year) attached to the gift box - done
  • A skinny scarf for my 16-year-old niece just back from Africa
  • A beanie hat for my 14-year-old nephew also home from Africa

Now that I've written it all down I'm beginning to panic. Luckily I got a huge box of really nice vintage wool from an estate sale super cheap so all the scarves and hats are covered.  Now if I could some how stretch the time between now and Dec. 25. . .[/list]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patty Reed
ica171
« Reply #173 on: November 17, 2008 11:41:30 PM »

I somehow didn't realize Christmas was so close until a few days ago, so I've just now finished my list.  Luckily most of it is relatively simple stuff and a lot is baking.

DS#1 (4)--a firetruck we bought him a while back, a bleach-stenciled shirt with Mario, some monster slippers and pajama pants.

DS#2 (2)--Whack-a-Mole tower bought a while back, a bleach-stenciled shirt with an octopus (both stencils from Stencilry), monster slippers and pajama pants.

DH--no idea yet.  I might make him some Mario stuff for his desk at work.  Otherwise food of some sort.

Mom--she wants me to bake her stuff to take to work and give to friends.  She's even buying the supplies, so my gift is labor.  I'm planning on doing wreath cookies, peanut brittle, haystacks, dipped pretzels, Russian tea cakes, chocolate chip cookies, and peanut butter kiss cookies.  I'm also going to make her a hot chocolate kit to take to work, which will consist of cellophane cones of homemade hot chocolate mix, or maybe little baggies if I can't find the cones, chocolate-dipped spoons, and a mug.  This will probably be in a handpainted wooden box if I can find one I like. 

Dad--he's hard to buy for.  Last Father's Day we got him a Beers of the World sampler at World Market and my mom said he really liked it, so I might do that again.  He's diabetic so even though beer's probably not good for him, I don't want to give him a bunch of cookies.

MIL--basket of baked goods.  Will include what I listed above plus some hot chocolate mix, dipped spoons, maybe some banana bread and maybe some soup mixes in a jar.  Might also get a 5x7 album from the dollar store and do a mini scrapbook if I have time.

FIL--not sure yet.  He's had problems with drinking in the past, so I'm not comfortable getting him a beer sampler.  We got him a hot sauce sampler thing last year and DH said at least two of them were still in the cupboard unopened.  Might have to do a Hickory Farms type thing for him.

SIL#1 (22?)--she's expecting, so I made her a diaper bag, which is almost finished.  It was a prototype for my etsy shop, so it was already almost done.  She also has a boyfriend, so I will probably include some food or something for him.  Or beer, I don't really know him that well.

SIL#2 (19?)--purse, probably a fairly simple messenger bag.  Might also do a gift basket.

SIL#3 (19?)--probably also a purse.  Need to draft a pattern for hers, will probably be done close to last.  Might also do a gift basket.

I don't have to do gifts for siblings/spouses and nieces/nephews, but I might.  Optional gifts:

All siblings/spouses (3 sets)--Gift baskets similar to what I'm doing for MIL. 

Niece (14)--pajama pants or monogrammed makeup bag.

Nephew (15)--pajama pants.

Niece (9)--pajama pants, might do a "pajama pillow."

Niece (4)--not sure.  Maybe pajama pants, maybe a robe, maybe a tutu.  Mother is against homemade stuff, so kind of at a loss.

Niece (2 months at Christmas)--not sure.  Her mother (also 4yo niece's mother) is very vehemently against homemade gifts, so part of me feels that making anything for her is a waste of time, but I have no idea what to get her.  Maybe if I made something and told her what I'd charge retail she'd take it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadWolf

cassettetape--->BadWolf

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2008 08:51:31 AM »

ical171, maybe you can give the kids with anti-craft mom gift cards in a handmade little box or something. That really stinks though, homemade gifts are the best. Maybe you can build the kids a secret underground room where they can have lots of homemade goodies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My username has changed from cassettetape to BadWolf.

"Does this shirt make me look like a party balloon?"-Mike

http://pinterest.com/marquesajen
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

This Shall Be For Music

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2008 08:52:40 AM »

Daughter: 4 boy poppets: almost done!!  Now have to make them some clothes and get more eyes!
4 baby poppets: finished drafting a pattern!!

Handmade cards for my family and friends: need lots of these!  Just got  a great frame stamp so I'll be decopaging soon.

Baked goodies for the staff at my daughter's school: got the containers; the baking will be simple!

Knitted scarves for her teachers: done!!  Thanks to my friend Lapoli who made 2 beautiful scarves for me!

Friends at work: no idea yet.  May sew some simple totes or make jewelry.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008 02:24:04 PM by atsuko » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm looking for a spinner to transform my awesome fiber into yarn for me....have some fantastic jewelry and commercially purchased fiber for trade. my etsy
Live aloha
Scream-a-little
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2008 09:32:30 AM »

ugh... i'm slowly getting there but now my darling daughters(said with a sneer) have decided that they want to do sewing projects.. part of this is learning how to machine sew.. of course taught by me & all the supplies from me as well.. hmmm..well i've always encouraged creative pursuits..
so my list so far:
embroidered fleece scarves..10/15 done
knit & crochet dishcloths ..  10/15 done
wrist warmers.. 2/4
loom knit hats 3/10
button trees 3/15
melt & pour soap
baking, candy making, beverage mixes
pillow cases
kleenex cosies
i'm pretty sure the list will grow some more when i get inspired by all the other crafters in here!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One shoe can change your life"   Cinderella
ica171
« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2008 10:12:09 AM »

I think I've decided to make my two nieces tutus.  Not terribly practical, but I know the older one will love it (she got fairy wings for her birthday and loved them), and maybe I'll get lucky and my sister will let the younger one wear it for a picture or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lollipop
« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2008 01:08:08 PM »

Well, my list changed some.

Sister, 18 - I won two free books online (autographed by the author!) and just got them in the mail a couple days ago. So she will be getting those.

Sister, 23 - She just moved into her own apartment, and so for a birthday/housewarming gift I got her a bunch of ornaments. For Christmas, I wanted to make her a set of coasters, but I made them today, and I don't really like how they turned out... we'll see. So I'll probably still give them to her, in case she likes them... but I need to find something else to go with it. And I need to have it by this Saturday... eesh.

Brother, 16 - Probably will get clothing of some sort for him. Maybe buy thrift and revamp it? I'd like to try my hand at stenciling... And then, a "facial hair kit" that I meant to give him last year for his birthday, then Christmas, then this year for his birthday... we'll see if I finish it in time for this Christmas. Haha. He wants cologne, too.

Mom - No idea. I used to always get her something for the bathtub, like salts and such, but now we have a hot tub and she doesn't take baths...

Dad - Food? Probably will order coffee from Guatemala... I got him that for Father's Day and he seemed to like it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008 02:38:04 PM by lollipop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad.
-Jane Austen
rakechan
little Picture drawer person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2008 01:49:56 PM »

Ha! Christmas... oh yes... whoops. hmm.... maybe I should have thought about it a tad before reaching the end of November, but alas - time and tide wait for no craftster... so without further ado, I present my pathetic (and not properly thought out yet) list...

Boyfriend (who I live with) - it's a bit of a nightmare crafting for him, as I tend to work late hours, and he's always home before me, but I'm hoping to create some sort of cosy blanket-type of thing, and some PJs (It's very cold in our house - no heating and ancient rattling sash windows that let in all of the elements. hmph) - would complement the huuuuge bean bag I made for him a couple of years ago. Think maybe I should start making him slightly more 'active' presents sometime...
Mum some sort of handmade garment. Not too sure yet, to be honest! something to keep her warm and cosy too, though I should think. Also must be practical and ward wearing. She's a gardener, and anything she wears gets a proper baptism by compost, soil and manure. Lovely.
Dad I uncovered all his transparencies from when he was a photography student, so I'm scanning them at the moment and am going to design and print an art book (hopefully with boyfriend and his dad's help, who are both pro graphic designers!)
Brother (24) has become obsessed with blues and country music of late (went to see Seasick Steve a couple of months ago, and has become obsessed!) so I'm going to make him a diddley bow! All I need is a plank of wood, a couple of nails and a string! Probably pick him up a couple of old records to go with it too (my family and my boyfriends have habits of giving each other odd instruments - Rob gave me a musical saw a few years ago, I gave him a 'make your own theramin' kit, we've all given each other ukeleles... we'll be able to make up a very odd orchestra sometime!)
Boyfriends sister (30) difficult, because we're quite similar. She's an artist, and is quite interested in alchemy and plants at the moment, though, so I thought maybe something related to plant folklore, but I'm not quite sure what...
Boyfriend's parents again, quite difficult. I'm severely tempted to make his Dad a diddley bow too, though!
Friend mutual best friend of my boyfriend and I - we're putting her together some French-related stuff: making up a CD of recommended French music, buying her a couple of DVDs (Definitely 'Umbrellas of Cherbourg', undecided about any others), putting in some food stuffs... not sure what else yet.
Another friend is on a bit of a downer at the moment, so we're scanning in all our photographs of a holiday we went on with him and some other friends earlier in the year, and we're going to put it together into a swish little photo album, to try and remind him of some good times!

...that's it for now!... gah - should start making things.... erm.... NOW!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Six Lies About Digital Photography
Photography Lighting Techniques Part 1/2
How to use a light meter
How to Work with Natural light
How to Take Easy baby portraits
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...