A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,501
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pirates, My Chemical Romance, Photography, Bananas! (Xmas gifts) PHOTO CHUBBY...  (Read 1529 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chasing_cars

n00b knitter. ^_^

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2007 02:46:19 PM »

So, given that I'm a poor college student (who isn't?), I decided to only give gifts to close friends and my family: and even then, I've decided to make most of them. After all, I'm rather proud of my mad stencilling skillz (haha), and my family's pretty appreciative of such skills as well.

First off, for my father. He's always the hardest to figure out. So I just scrolled through the stencils at Stencilry until I found one that he might appreciate:

WHOLE SHIRT:

Stencil Detail:

(FYI: He's actually gay, so the rainbow "happy" under the pocket can be taken both ways: as a reference to the "Is that a banana in your pocket..." and to the alternate meaning of 'gay,' I suppose.

My *other* father used to work for Lifetouch Photography, and every morning, I'd tell him to "shoot" lots of kids. ('Shoot' here meaning...with his camera! I don't condone violence! T_T)

Stencil Detail:

I'm not super happy with this one: it was the messiest shirt I think I've done since my very first attempt with cardboard and spray paint, but I don't exactly hate it. And, yes, that's a paint smudge.

Next up is my little brother. He loved Pirates of the Carribean, of course, so I figured a pirate-esque shirt was required. I made him a shirt last year, with one of his favorite sayings on it, and he still wears it, so I'm fairly sure this one will get at least a bit of wear. I might go back and try to freehand a bandana across the skull, but then again, I might not. What do you think?

Whole Shirt:

My little sister found a scarf on eBay last year, and asked if I could make it for her. Iended up not being able to--couldn't find the material or anything, and by then we'd both forgotten about it. So this year, I tried to make something similar. I actually like this one better. She loves My Chemical Romance, obviously. I freehanded the words, and I'm actually pretty proud, as they look at least a little like the font used on the actual logo, I think. It looks grungy because it's supposed to. Also, because it's really hard to stencil well on a felt scarf. The red stripes go all the way up the scarf.

Stencil Detail:

Finally, my roommate! She loves the color pink and The Beatles/John Lennon, so what else could this shirt have become? I found the strawberries on stencilry, and while playing with a layout for the text, I decided that it actually worked better (and would be easier to cut out) if I didn't put the word "strawberry" in. I'm really proud of this one.

Whole Shirt:

Stencil Details:

(It's actually a brighter pink in real life.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007 11:14:22 PM by chasing_cars » THIS ROCKS   Logged

More out of place than anything you know.
Like an opera at a disco.
When all you wanted was a rock show (tonight).
bold_as_love

"Adventure is out there." -Up

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007 03:40:12 PM »

oh my gosh, i love the beatles one!!! i want to make on just like it! the others are awesome as well1 the 'shoot' one made me smile. great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Adventure is out there."
chasing_cars

n00b knitter. ^_^

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007 03:50:23 PM »

Aw, thank you so much. Smiley
If you really do want to make a shirt like the Beatles one, I have the stencil saved on my computer. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

More out of place than anything you know.
Like an opera at a disco.
When all you wanted was a rock show (tonight).
TheBrokenButterfly
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007 12:54:57 PM »

I love the scarf the most but they are all awesome ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bold_as_love

"Adventure is out there." -Up

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007 04:36:24 PM »

Aw, thank you so much. Smiley
If you really do want to make a shirt like the Beatles one, I have the stencil saved on my computer. Cheesy

i would like that very very much  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Adventure is out there."
nat_attack
"We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love." - T. Robbins

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008 05:52:01 PM »

I LOVE the strawberry fields forever one. It's so subtle and awesome.... you rock!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status, I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls"
Animal Collective, "My Girls"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Following Patterns
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Crochet Diagrams
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Starting Projects
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Crochet Stitches
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Advance Patterns
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...