A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,395
Currently Running With Scissors:
923 Guests and 49 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: hall from hell ;D  (Read 566 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Singalala

Life is too short to wear ugly shoes

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 14, 2007 06:32:29 AM »

Hi everybody,
One of the last big projects in my house is the hall/stairway and I'm completely blank about it!!!  Embarrassed I'm painting all the woodwork white as you can see in this picture, because it was mismatched, needed a lot of plastering and to make the hall look brighter.

I also hoped it would make it easier to see what colour on the walls would be nice. But now I'm in the final stages of painting the woodwork and I still have no idea what colour I should pick Huh Huh Huh I have the doors upstairs open most of the time, You can see it here, its a picture of what the hall upstairs is like when you walk up the stairs. My bedroom is mostly a bright green, my clothing room is a seablue, my study (you can't see it here) is deeppurple and has a huge wallfilling worldmap which you can see from the stairs.
The colour I'm thinking of most is a very light gold, a lot whiter that this one . Other options are a light silver, aqua......HuhHuhHuhHuh

And I'm also not sure what I would do with all the wall-space. I have a half circle stairwell (I'm sure there is a professional term for this, but I don't have a clue), there is a very small window next to my front door and above that there is a wall space about 3.5 x 2m.... quite big to fill with a few picture frames.
(Excuse me for all the junk on the stairs  Grin)

This is the huge boxlike space above the window (you can just see the edge of the door)

I think this might be a better picture for you to see

and this is the view from the top of the stairs, it just like a huge boring box!! And real ugly!!!!!!!!!!! Not to say dirty!

I would like to put pictures up, probably in a neatly organized way like 3 rows of 5 frames (I'm thinking of putting the freaky, ugly pictures of my boyfriend , friends and me up so it won't be too classic) But that would mean I would only use the wall that are close to the eye, leaving the whole space above it empty. Maybe I will put in a few nice lamps on a long cord, maybe oriental or, depending on my budget, nice ricepaper ones. This is the only picture i could find of lamps hanging together in a staircase. I like it, but it would be a bit to modern for my home, but he, its just to get an idea....

Or i could do a big photoprint in top part of "the box"? Like this Buddha:
or this smaller (1.15 x 1.75 m) one:

Or one of my own pictures blown up... also possible.
But wouldn't it be weird to have only the top part decorated with such a print, while the parts below are just painted???... i guess it would be too busy to hang pictures here...

To sum it all up: I don't really know what to do with this space. Please help me!!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007 07:25:36 AM by militant pacifist » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have been seriously ill. I will get back to everyone to finish up all swaps and stuff. I am home now.

My wists http://www.wists.com/singalala

Junk jewelry swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=322611.0
Ongoing ATC swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=322889
mimiw
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007 08:14:54 AM »

I don't know about decorating the box thing but I just painted my upstairs hallway a pewter/silver color with this paint that has sparkly stuff in it and it looks awesome! My bedrooms upstairs are blue, yellow, green and red so I needed something that would go with everything and that was the winner.  It is super fun - I call it my "glam" hallway.  I got the paint from Lowes and I think it is called Earth Metal Metallics or something.  They have all different metallic colors and they are great for a small space  Smiley  hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Singalala

Life is too short to wear ugly shoes

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007 09:18:55 AM »

I'm not from the States (I'm sure I made lot of grammar errors  Grin) so I won't be able to get the Lowes paint you have. But I like the fact that you have a similar colour that I have in mind, I was even thinking of the sparkles. I know that I can buy special paint sparkles or other special effects and mix them in. Only thing that I'm worried about is the price....

Also, I'm not completly sure if painting would go down well on my walls. I've wallpapered most of the house because the walls are not very even. But I know that painting the kitchen went fine, so I guess this is not an excuse. But I need to get it done quick, because I don't want the scaffolding in my stairway for too long. And I also need some time for painting the moulding and the ceiling (that is done wth chalcpaint which is kinda loose and I will have to wash it off twice, prime it and paint it twice with fresh "normal" paint). I think that wallpapering it will be the quickest way to do it, if I'm going to paint it will take up more hours. Preparing the walls would mean getting rid of fugly wallpaper (i have to do in order to wallpaper aswell off course) plastering the holes, priming it, maybe i'll need a base coat of simple white paint, at least two coats of paint with the effect.....

So painting might be costly and time consuming I think.......

I've found a nice type of wall paper that is available here, I'll check it out in the store tomorrow. And it is not too expensive!!!

this is the same gold with decorations (i'm not going for that) but is should be the same gold colour... so i must see it in real life to judge this...

Would go nice with one of those buddha's  Smiley

« Last Edit: December 14, 2007 09:23:09 AM by militant pacifist » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have been seriously ill. I will get back to everyone to finish up all swaps and stuff. I am home now.

My wists http://www.wists.com/singalala

Junk jewelry swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=322611.0
Ongoing ATC swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=322889
muffincrafter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008 08:33:51 PM »

I love the goldy yellow color- we have the same color in our living room...

As for the space- we had a tall blank space on our wall, and we bought some curly willow branches and hung them with coat hooks and fishing line so you can't see .... everyone comments on it- it is a neat way to bring a natural element in...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Portrait Photography
How to Take Headshots
Learn Basic Photography Techniques
How to Do Time Lapse Photography
How to Do a Photobomb
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...