A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: d.i.y. moustache wax!!!! new photo, see comment on pg.3  (Read 15954 times)
Tags for this thread: moustache , beeswax  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

circus

BIKES BABIES AND BEER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007 12:31:45 AM »

I love how all the ladies thought this was about getting your mustache waxed. Including me.

My boyfriend really enjoys taking it too far with his handlebar mustache. I'd make some of this for him if I wasn't so concerned about the consequences! Thumbs up for keeping yours TASTEFUL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

disquieting

Crafting is resistance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007 06:38:36 AM »

i think that is a FANTASTIC idea! do you think it would work well for dreadlocks, too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"glitter is like the herpes of crafting. Once you get it on you its impossible to get rid of it" - Dimitri Martin

www.disquietingdesigns.com
jerryleetypes
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007 02:06:31 PM »

i think that is a FANTASTIC idea! do you think it would work well for dreadlocks, too?

I had dreadlocks a long time ago... here is the secret to the best dreadlocks ever...toothpaste! Put that stuff in your hair, wear a hat for a week or two (don't wash your hair during that time) and you'll have dreads that will never come out! I had tried everything to get dreads and someone told me to try this and it worked like a charm! Toothpaste is actually pretty toxic stuff (one of the active ingredients, sodium monofluorophosphate, is the primary ingredient in rat poison!) so it breaks down your hair causing it to mat up. If you put anything with beeswax in your hair it will probably just attract bees.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrmarbles
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2007 01:29:44 PM »

I'm so glad I found your post! My daughter and son in law (and grandpuppy) are coming to spend
the next two weeks with us..He has a moustache  and he loves to wax it.  He reminds me of a
circus lion tamer when he waxes it haha..anyhoo, He has had trouble finding moustache wax,
I just so happen to have some beeswax and other gooey ingridents, I'm going to make his some
for a stocking stuffer. Thanks! Oh, and by the way, its cool to see a guy on here from time to time  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"sometimes you get shone in the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right"
cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008 02:13:07 AM »

Jerry Lee, I have said it before and I'll say it again, you are my hero.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
jerryleetypes
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008 03:05:07 PM »

I've now been growing my moustache since Thanksgiving. My d.i.y. moustache wax has served me well. In fact I even bought some real moustache wax at a store for the sake of comparison and found my own concoction to be quite superior in holding power and scent!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

flyangler
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008 03:54:22 PM »

Well done. I did something similar to make dubbing wax for flytying. I used fairly natural ingredients which you just play with to make it more sticky or less sticky according to taste.

They are: castor oil, beeswax and rosin. I didn't have rosin (like they use in batter's bags, on bows for stringed instruments, etc). I did happen to have a few chunks of frankincense and myrrh, which are like the pine sap that goes into rosin. So I melted all the things together and stirred them up. After they cooled a bit I poured them into a lip balm tube. They turned out to be too dense, so I remelted them and increased the amount of oil and wax.

The upshot of this is that I think you could use the same stuff to wax a moustache if you wanted to. Especially an excellent facial accessory like yours. Not only would it work, it would smell uh HOLY!

But I wouldn't put it in a lip balm tube, I'd do it the way you did and put it in a glass or metal container.  Handle with care while its melted, it's smoooooookin hot.

And that's a great sewing machine in your avatar. Is it a Necchi?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jerryleetypes
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008 04:04:10 PM »

And that's a great sewing machine in your avatar. Is it a Necchi?

It's a Universal from the 50's or early 60's. I do however really want a Necchi from the same era.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008 04:08:48 PM »

nice 'stache.  i was sad cos i went to your flickr link, which didn't work, but lo, there was a photo on this page!  it appears that your wax is working for you Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
flyangler
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008 04:53:39 PM »

I've got a Necchi Supernova of that vintage. No instruction manual though.

Also, I think if I made the mustache wax/dubbing wax with more rosin I could use it to take my moustache off. Too scared to try, though. I've been reading the Persian waxing thread enough to know what could go horribly wrong. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Brush Mix
How to Brush Mix Leaf Colors
Owl Painting - Watercolor Wildlife Art in Miniature
How to Draw Star Wars-Clone Wars: Count Dooku
Wayne Gonzales at Paula Cooper Gallery
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...