A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,401
Currently Running With Scissors:
740 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: d.i.y. moustache wax!!!! new photo, see comment on pg.3  (Read 15401 times)
Tags for this thread: moustache , beeswax  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jerryleetypes
« on: December 13, 2007 06:50:37 PM »

I'm getting laid off from work for a month so I decided to grow a handlebar moustache during my little break. I've been growing it for a couple of weeks now and, being broke, decided to make my own moustache wax to give my whiskers that "je ne sais quoi"... I found directions online for a moustache wax that calls for 4 parts beeswax to 4 parts vaseline. I didn't have any vaseline so I modified it to 4 parts beeswax to 4 parts Murray's pomade, which is basically petroleum jelly with some mineral oil and fragrance. I melted the beeswax in a double boiler, added the pomade and pored the mixture into a glass jar which previously contained pesto. A baby food jar would work equally well. The result is a slightly crumbly mixture which becomes pliable when worked between the thumb and pointer finger then applied to the tips of the moustache. It dries clear, holds it's shape well and rinses out easily with water and it has a pleasant smell! I realize that the majority of people on this site are women and as such will probably find this to be somewhat disgusting, but perhaps there's a guy or two on this forum that has thought to himself "I sure wish I had a bad ass handlebar moustache, but however would I get the ends to stay?"
the product:

le moustache:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14640813@N06/2110090626/
sorry ladies, I'm taken! Wink
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008 03:06:11 PM by jerryleetypes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

zombieleopard
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007 06:59:46 PM »

i love it!  how inventive of you. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gabi.hearts.kitty
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007 07:01:32 PM »

ahahahaha.
this is amazing and made me laugh.
if i was a boy, i would want a badass handlebar moustache.
and i would totally make my own moustache wax...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the consequence of sound...
iloveoctopus
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007 07:10:41 PM »

handlebar moustaches make me laugh! however if i could grow one, i totally would! i think it would be cool. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kles879
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007 07:16:45 PM »

I think I might have to convince a guy friend to grow a moustache now. Thats pretty awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain
winter83
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007 07:35:43 PM »

Cool idea! A friend and I were just talking the other day about how we wished we could grow beards. I have some guy friends that have quite impressive beards and when we talk about them they tend to rub them on your face.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missjesswinkwink
'Ginger did everything Fred did; only she did it backwards and in high heels'

Howdy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007 08:05:09 PM »

heh heh, that's awesome. My dad has had a handlebar mustache since before I was in the womb. He strongly resembles a Wyatt Earp type character  - so I have a deep appreciation for the almighty mustache (I think I'd faint if he ever shaved - I've honestly NEVER seen him without it... 23 years!!). Thrifty thinkin' with the Murrays!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.rockinbclothing .com
------------------
www.rockinbdesign.b logspot.com
------------------
Night Train Swing Dance Club!
www.swingpurdue.org
------------------
Pinklightning06
Pinklightning!

I am a sugar spun electro storm ♥

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007 08:34:26 PM »

LOL!  Great handlebar!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/pinklightning
http://www.pinklightning.me/

Project 365 Awesome - Day 105: Stars&Dinosaurs&AsianBrides&NEW GOALS
Do I have what it takes to be a successful fashion designer? Well I'm giving myself 365 days to find out...
shakes
Ruler of All That Rules

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007 09:01:21 PM »

Haha, nice 'stache, man!

I have an aunt who could use some of this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rhiannon Sarah
Rhiannon Incorporated

I Loves the Trolls!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007 09:26:55 PM »

Hm - My partner may not be able to grow such a handsome moustache - but he sure could use the wax for his hair!!

P.S - you remind me of one of my friends from high school. He's in training to be a Chem Teacher. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Bringing the Extraordinary, to the Ordinary -
krissykat
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007 09:43:41 PM »

Hm, I wish I'd thought of this a couple of months ago. I made a fake beard for a costume, and had a devil of a time trying to style it. Good tip, thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
SquidPrincess
cephalopod rockstar and all around space babe

just a (squid) girl and her zombie friend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007 10:12:59 PM »

Hmm, a possible future present for my fu manchu sporting boyfriend?! i think so!
thanks for the awesome idea! keep rocking the 'stache.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Revolution is a trivial shift in the emphasis of suffering." --Tom Stoppard
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/spooookypants/
la felicidad tiene tu nombre y tu piel
jerryleetypes
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007 04:17:56 AM »

Thrifty thinkin' with the Murrays!

Murrays is the hair product that always seems like a good idea until I actually put it in my hair and can't wash it out for a week, so I was happy to find an alternate use for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissTessaMelissa
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007 07:32:50 AM »

Yeah, this would be a great handmade present for the facial hair sporting half of the population. I love Murray's. I used to use it all the time (VERY small amounts at a time) when I had short blonde hair (think Marilyn Monroe) and it was so awesome for shine and texture. Oh and it's SO cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.
serenityfey
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007 08:38:56 AM »

Your post made me lol so hard. Gotta love the stache-my dad has had one his whole life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PeaceNow
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007 03:48:22 PM »

I think you would get along with my boyfriend, who is currently growing mutton chops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh you never know
Who will come
And who will stay
So stay..
...Live a long time Today...

-Rusted Root
~:*:~:*:~:*:~:*:~:*:~:*:~:*:~:*:~:*:~
marygrrl
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007 04:11:42 PM »

My bf has a handlebar and is about to try a different recipe. I'll let you know how it works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pink zebra
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007 04:45:49 PM »

what a cool idea making your own moustache wax. i would have never thought of this! (for obvious reasons, as i'm a girl)

and horray for all the male craftsters, doing male crafty thingies!!

(to tell the truth, when i read the title of this thread, i thought it mightbe a recipie for getting rid of facial hair... with wax  Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugar-magnolia
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007 06:41:26 PM »

Oh my goodness, I definitely thought that this was a depilatory wax when I read the title, and then I got reeeally confused when I read about styling it.  Wow, that really threw me for a loop!  Aaaanyway, very fun  Smiley  My brother is thinking about growing a beard because he hates shaving, so maybe I'll whip up some 'stache wax for him.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A wist at last!  www.wists.com/sugar-magnolia

www.thehungersite.c om 

www.freerice.com   <-- this is a really fun vocabulary game that gives rice to the hungry for every question you answer correctly
kelsorama

do you think the end of the world is coming...?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007 02:32:15 PM »

i find this delightfully absurd.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile. I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well. I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave. I will work work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down.
circus

BIKES BABIES AND BEER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007 12:31:45 AM »

I love how all the ladies thought this was about getting your mustache waxed. Including me.

My boyfriend really enjoys taking it too far with his handlebar mustache. I'd make some of this for him if I wasn't so concerned about the consequences! Thumbs up for keeping yours TASTEFUL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

disquieting

Crafting is resistance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007 06:38:36 AM »

i think that is a FANTASTIC idea! do you think it would work well for dreadlocks, too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"glitter is like the herpes of crafting. Once you get it on you its impossible to get rid of it" - Dimitri Martin

www.disquietingdesi gns.com
jerryleetypes
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007 02:06:31 PM »

i think that is a FANTASTIC idea! do you think it would work well for dreadlocks, too?

I had dreadlocks a long time ago... here is the secret to the best dreadlocks ever...toothpaste! Put that stuff in your hair, wear a hat for a week or two (don't wash your hair during that time) and you'll have dreads that will never come out! I had tried everything to get dreads and someone told me to try this and it worked like a charm! Toothpaste is actually pretty toxic stuff (one of the active ingredients, sodium monofluorophosphate, is the primary ingredient in rat poison!) so it breaks down your hair causing it to mat up. If you put anything with beeswax in your hair it will probably just attract bees.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrmarbles
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2007 01:29:44 PM »

I'm so glad I found your post! My daughter and son in law (and grandpuppy) are coming to spend
the next two weeks with us..He has a moustache  and he loves to wax it.  He reminds me of a
circus lion tamer when he waxes it haha..anyhoo, He has had trouble finding moustache wax,
I just so happen to have some beeswax and other gooey ingridents, I'm going to make his some
for a stocking stuffer. Thanks! Oh, and by the way, its cool to see a guy on here from time to time  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"sometimes you get shone in the light in the strangest of places, if you look at it right"
cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008 02:13:07 AM »

Jerry Lee, I have said it before and I'll say it again, you are my hero.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
jerryleetypes
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008 03:05:07 PM »

I've now been growing my moustache since Thanksgiving. My d.i.y. moustache wax has served me well. In fact I even bought some real moustache wax at a store for the sake of comparison and found my own concoction to be quite superior in holding power and scent!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

flyangler
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008 03:54:22 PM »

Well done. I did something similar to make dubbing wax for flytying. I used fairly natural ingredients which you just play with to make it more sticky or less sticky according to taste.

They are: castor oil, beeswax and rosin. I didn't have rosin (like they use in batter's bags, on bows for stringed instruments, etc). I did happen to have a few chunks of frankincense and myrrh, which are like the pine sap that goes into rosin. So I melted all the things together and stirred them up. After they cooled a bit I poured them into a lip balm tube. They turned out to be too dense, so I remelted them and increased the amount of oil and wax.

The upshot of this is that I think you could use the same stuff to wax a moustache if you wanted to. Especially an excellent facial accessory like yours. Not only would it work, it would smell uh HOLY!

But I wouldn't put it in a lip balm tube, I'd do it the way you did and put it in a glass or metal container.  Handle with care while its melted, it's smoooooookin hot.

And that's a great sewing machine in your avatar. Is it a Necchi?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jerryleetypes
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008 04:04:10 PM »

And that's a great sewing machine in your avatar. Is it a Necchi?

It's a Universal from the 50's or early 60's. I do however really want a Necchi from the same era.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008 04:08:48 PM »

nice 'stache.  i was sad cos i went to your flickr link, which didn't work, but lo, there was a photo on this page!  it appears that your wax is working for you Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
flyangler
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008 04:53:39 PM »

I've got a Necchi Supernova of that vintage. No instruction manual though.

Also, I think if I made the mustache wax/dubbing wax with more rosin I could use it to take my moustache off. Too scared to try, though. I've been reading the Persian waxing thread enough to know what could go horribly wrong. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theatreorchid
Craftssassin

Just kill him with your awesome.

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2008 04:55:32 PM »

Oh my.  I've bookmarked this to show to my fiance later, I'm sure he'll love you for it, he's been talking about waxing his 'stache for a while now. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cynlynn

Honey, milk doesn't come from chickens.

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2008 05:06:27 PM »

This makes me so happy! The DH used to wear a nice moustache and kept it curled and waxed..i miss it!! Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/cynlynn
Personal Swap anyone?
TastyMagic
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2008 09:46:46 AM »

damn the man! grow a handlebar moustache!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end the crafts you take are equal to the crafts you make

Visit my etsy shop! blossomandblooms.et sy.com
feistymonkey
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2008 07:02:50 PM »

LOL! My boyfriend was just threatening to grow one of those, but was deterred by the getting it to stick issue. I am definitely NOT telling him about this clever solution.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SlickMariaVic
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2008 07:41:47 PM »

Oh God! I'll have to make sure my bf doesn't see this. He bought a bunch of mustache wax off of ebay. It contains musk, whatever the heck that is. Good luck with the 'stache!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That which is creative must create itself -" Keats

Pinterest
http://pinterest.com/slickmariavic/
KMKMaven
Metalsmith - Jack of All Trades

I never met a craft I didn't want to try

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2008 03:06:18 PM »

Yay for Butch (Moustache) Wax!  I can almost never find it in the stores anymore.
My Mom taught me how to tame eyebrows with it so they keep a nice neat arch, and when she had super-short hair in the 90's (Susan Powder-esque!) she used it for stiffening her bangs.  She used to steal it from my Dad while he was in the Marines in the 50's.  It kept his "high and tight" tidy.  We found actual 'Butch-wax' brand like 10 years ago at Wal-mart of all places, and she guards that stash like gold!  Now I can make my own.
It's great stuff, especially when you're going for a 20's or 30's eyebrow look.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008 03:14:15 PM by KMKMaven » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jd66699
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2008 06:57:42 PM »

I have an unrivalled (at least locally) 'gentleman's moustache' and though I see you are running along the right lines here, believe me, you want to adjust your consistency! I would reccomend - 4 parts beeswax, 2 parts vaseline and 2 parts black and white hair wax (of the Jamaican order). I find the latter gives a firmer curve and a most satisfying tropical fragrance. These, of course, must be blended under heat and here I must bow to the modern 'hairdryer'. Although it is certainly most uneddifying, I do find it helpful to cool and firm my facial hirsuteness by sitting in an armchair with my legs akimbo over the back and my head pointing groundwards until my glory has achieved the correct degree of stiffness. This is something I reccomend you practice in private! Long live the Great British Moustache and Long Live The Queen! (Victoria, of course!) Yours in facial hirsuteness,

Colonel Sir James Altringsham D.S.O. , B.S.E., P.M.T
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jd66699
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2008 07:17:35 PM »

I fear I have replied presumptuously, without viewing your facial adornment. Obviously you require some time to achieve the splendour of a true 'Bracket Moustache' (please do not refer to it as anything 'handlebar' as this is a proletarian injunction!). You do, however seem to have the makings of a true 'Gentlemans moustache' and would certainly not snub you in polite society. Good luck with your puruit of the hirsuite!

Yours with, indeed, respect,

Sir J. A., D.S.O, B.S.E., P.M.T.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
80years at heart

My mom took my scissors away :(

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010 03:21:39 PM »

LOVE THIS!!!!
this made me laugh and i must say i am truely jealouse of your mad sewing skills!!!! i may have to make some of this a fathers day present lol  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Julia Morgan and the Ecole Des Beaux-Arts
Using Design Passion to Make the World Better - Ross Floate
Thinking For a Living Working in Design - Ross Floate
How Hands On Experience Shapes Design Career Path - Ross Floate
Ross Floate on Designing Great Products One Use Case at a Time
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...