A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,095
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hats with bills yo! *+ pattern*  (Read 29931 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

l0tusan6el
« on: December 13, 2007 03:14:51 PM »

Its getting cold out so I wanted to make a hat that I could rock all winter. I ended up taking some left over gray yarn, my fave beanie pattern, and adding a bill to it.

[yes.. my bed is not made  Undecided ]

I've been intimidated by bills because they never looked right to me when I'm finished, but this one turned out nice I think. My guy even asked if he could have it. After I showed it to him he goes "Ohh cool can I have that beenie, its super cool" haha cute who could resist that, plus I was supposed to make him one last year.. so of course I gave it to him =)  I can make more right! And I have..

These are my 2 latest ones w/ even better looking bills. I held 2 strands together for the bill this time making them sturdier. The first one is like the original hat I made, but this time the beanie is black w/ a gray brim and bill. The 2nd is just a beanie w/ bill. The colors remind me of ice cream. Yum! Enjoy!  Grin

« Last Edit: December 18, 2007 10:09:56 AM by l0tusan6el » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nykole6412

i wish i was on southpark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007 03:27:56 PM »

oh wow perfect job!!!!   i can never get the bill right!  yours are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anthurium

radical feminist craft-ivist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007 03:32:58 PM »

Those look great!

Are those patterns from "Hip Hats, Cool Caps?"  They look like it.  I love that book, but the bills always came out funky and weird looking.

To solve that problem, I started weaving two strands of floral wire into the last row of the bill.  Then I covered the wire with a row of HDC.  I found that this really helped the bill to keep its shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
off_the_record
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007 03:55:48 PM »

Those are so great! I love the black one with the gray bill. Very well made, they look like you'd find them in a store. Care to share your pattern?? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions." -Chuck Palahniuk

http://offthrecord.blogspot.com/
www.offtherecord.etsy.com
JOODITO
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007 04:04:57 PM »

i love em.    thanks for sharing.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007 04:41:04 PM »

Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
shelly_bean
Sad is mine, go get your own pretend emotion.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007 05:54:01 PM »

I wanna learn to make a bill  Sad pattern please??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I read too much, crochet too much and have too much yarn.. I say my life is perfect.
my blog: http://rosebud-productions.blogspot.com/
l0tusan6el
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007 04:01:00 PM »

Thanks for the comments everyone!! I've been wearing my blk/gry hat everywhere I love it!

anthurium - Thanks.. I've never heard of "Hip Hats, Cool Caps?" I'll have to take a peek at that for new hat ideas at the craft store maybe? or borders? hmm And floral wire!!! thats genius!! I have to try it my bill is always bending all sorts funky ways. Its a lot better w/ the 2 strands, but I always have to re-shape it. Could also just be me.. who knows!

As for the pattern.. Sharing is Caring.
I'm not the greatest at patterns I usually find one that's similar to what I want and change it to fit

The beanie pattern I use for most hats I make is one that I came across a looooooooong time ago.. here's the original link http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/angelcrafts/patterns/manspoststcap.html I don't follow it exactly, but you get the idea! I use a smaller hook and the folded brim on mine is just plain dc all around.

The bill I devised after reading up and looking at pics of bills + trial and error.  Tenille has a great tut here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=198071.0 that really helped get me going on the bill

The bill on the blk/gry hat is 1 row longer than the one on the brown hat because I ran out of brown yarn. eek! But I like the shorter bill.

After the hat is made I figure out where I want my bill to start. I usually count 13-14 posts in from the back center then attach my yarn.  2 strands oh yeahh!

ROW 1: 20 fphdc across the front You can change this depending on how wide you want your brim, but I would do so by 3s because it will effect row 2.

ROW 2: ch 1, turn, sc in same st, hdc in next st, 1 dc in next st, 1 tc in same, *1 tc in the next 2 sts, 2 tc in the next st* 3 times, 1 tc in the next 2 sts, 1 tc in the next st, 1 dc in same, 1 hdc in next st, 1 sc in the next st, 1 sl st.

You can add a sc or hdc border all arround. I like mine as is w/o the border.  So lets see yer hats when yer done kay!  ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shelly_bean
Sad is mine, go get your own pretend emotion.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007 08:47:02 AM »

WOOT!!! thanks for the brim detail!! you soo rock!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I read too much, crochet too much and have too much yarn.. I say my life is perfect.
my blog: http://rosebud-productions.blogspot.com/
meagannichole

craftster+crochet+meagan=bff4ever!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007 09:07:40 AM »

Super frickin' cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Delete a Layer in Photoshop CS3
How to Delete a Text Layer in Photoshop CS3
How to Delete the Background of an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Deselect a Selection in Photoshop CS3
How to Deselect Objects in Flash CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...