A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,201
Currently Running With Scissors:
748 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hats with bills yo! *+ pattern*  (Read 29480 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

l0tusan6el
« on: December 13, 2007 03:14:51 PM »

Its getting cold out so I wanted to make a hat that I could rock all winter. I ended up taking some left over gray yarn, my fave beanie pattern, and adding a bill to it.

[yes.. my bed is not made  Undecided ]

I've been intimidated by bills because they never looked right to me when I'm finished, but this one turned out nice I think. My guy even asked if he could have it. After I showed it to him he goes "Ohh cool can I have that beenie, its super cool" haha cute who could resist that, plus I was supposed to make him one last year.. so of course I gave it to him =)  I can make more right! And I have..

These are my 2 latest ones w/ even better looking bills. I held 2 strands together for the bill this time making them sturdier. The first one is like the original hat I made, but this time the beanie is black w/ a gray brim and bill. The 2nd is just a beanie w/ bill. The colors remind me of ice cream. Yum! Enjoy!  Grin

« Last Edit: December 18, 2007 10:09:56 AM by l0tusan6el » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nykole6412

i wish i was on southpark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007 03:27:56 PM »

oh wow perfect job!!!!   i can never get the bill right!  yours are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anthurium

radical feminist craft-ivist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007 03:32:58 PM »

Those look great!

Are those patterns from "Hip Hats, Cool Caps?"  They look like it.  I love that book, but the bills always came out funky and weird looking.

To solve that problem, I started weaving two strands of floral wire into the last row of the bill.  Then I covered the wire with a row of HDC.  I found that this really helped the bill to keep its shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
off_the_record
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007 03:55:48 PM »

Those are so great! I love the black one with the gray bill. Very well made, they look like you'd find them in a store. Care to share your pattern?? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions." -Chuck Palahniuk

http://offthrecord.blogspot.com/
www.offtherecord.etsy.com
JOODITO
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007 04:04:57 PM »

i love em.    thanks for sharing.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007 04:41:04 PM »

Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
shelly_bean
Sad is mine, go get your own pretend emotion.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007 05:54:01 PM »

I wanna learn to make a bill  Sad pattern please??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I read too much, crochet too much and have too much yarn.. I say my life is perfect.
my blog: http://rosebud-productions.blogspot.com/
l0tusan6el
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007 04:01:00 PM »

Thanks for the comments everyone!! I've been wearing my blk/gry hat everywhere I love it!

anthurium - Thanks.. I've never heard of "Hip Hats, Cool Caps?" I'll have to take a peek at that for new hat ideas at the craft store maybe? or borders? hmm And floral wire!!! thats genius!! I have to try it my bill is always bending all sorts funky ways. Its a lot better w/ the 2 strands, but I always have to re-shape it. Could also just be me.. who knows!

As for the pattern.. Sharing is Caring.
I'm not the greatest at patterns I usually find one that's similar to what I want and change it to fit

The beanie pattern I use for most hats I make is one that I came across a looooooooong time ago.. here's the original link http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/angelcrafts/patterns/manspoststcap.html I don't follow it exactly, but you get the idea! I use a smaller hook and the folded brim on mine is just plain dc all around.

The bill I devised after reading up and looking at pics of bills + trial and error.  Tenille has a great tut here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=198071.0 that really helped get me going on the bill

The bill on the blk/gry hat is 1 row longer than the one on the brown hat because I ran out of brown yarn. eek! But I like the shorter bill.

After the hat is made I figure out where I want my bill to start. I usually count 13-14 posts in from the back center then attach my yarn.  2 strands oh yeahh!

ROW 1: 20 fphdc across the front You can change this depending on how wide you want your brim, but I would do so by 3s because it will effect row 2.

ROW 2: ch 1, turn, sc in same st, hdc in next st, 1 dc in next st, 1 tc in same, *1 tc in the next 2 sts, 2 tc in the next st* 3 times, 1 tc in the next 2 sts, 1 tc in the next st, 1 dc in same, 1 hdc in next st, 1 sc in the next st, 1 sl st.

You can add a sc or hdc border all arround. I like mine as is w/o the border.  So lets see yer hats when yer done kay!  ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shelly_bean
Sad is mine, go get your own pretend emotion.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007 08:47:02 AM »

WOOT!!! thanks for the brim detail!! you soo rock!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I read too much, crochet too much and have too much yarn.. I say my life is perfect.
my blog: http://rosebud-productions.blogspot.com/
meagannichole

craftster+crochet+meagan=bff4ever!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007 09:07:40 AM »

Super frickin' cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Grill Salmon and Chicken Satay
How to Break Down Salmon and Chicken Satay
Salmon and Chicken Satay Recipe
How to Shape and Bake Naan Bread
How to Mix the Dough for Naan Bread
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...