A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,927
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Advent Calendar!  (Read 1193 times)
Tags for this thread: advent_calendar  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

!b
« on: December 13, 2007 10:51:57 AM »

So I have convinced The Boy to do Christmas this year and he just didn't seem very enthused about the idea.
I figured, what better way to get him excited about it than an Advent Calendar! I mean, a gift for EVERY DAY leading to Christmas, THAT'S WICKED.

We decided to go with more unconventional colours to make it more unique and special to us rather than some mass holiday focused on BUY BUY BUY.
Thusly we've painted the tree safety green and I went ahead and made 24 little stars to hang on it in purple, yellow, blue and green.

and here you can see the opening well:

This was way more work than I'd expected it to be and every day that he opens yet another gift I am madly jealous of him... but it is well worth it since he appreciates it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glojo
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007 11:12:20 AM »

Great idea! Mine isn't too hot on Christmas either (then again neither am I), but if I ever did have to get him into it, I'd do it just like this! Except...more geeky ornaments on the tree : D And good call on painting the tree!

Out of curiousity, what kinds of gifts did you put in? I'd love to even do an advent calendar style for some other event (birthday, anniversary, etc.), because I've seen so many beautiful and creative ones on here, but would have no idea where to start with presents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justxlove
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007 11:41:50 AM »

i love it.
the stars are super cute. (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sure shes got everything ive got gadgets and gizmos  of plenty ive got whozits and whatzits galore you want thingamabobs ive got twenty but who cares no big deal i want more
!b
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007 08:16:53 AM »

to be honest, I went a little overboard on the gifts!
The first day he got 15 pre-made frozen lunches! One for everyday in December that he needs to eat at work! That was crazy!
From then on I got him small things like cheap tools he needed for work (tire pressure gauges, wire brushes circuit testers, other stuff I know nothing about), socks, hot chocolate, gift certs to things we've been wanting to do but never seem to have cash on hand for (movies, the zoo, bowling, museums in the area), outerwear (gloves he wanted, a hat, a neck gaiter), T-shirts. For the most part I found it way too difficult to find things that would actually fit in the stars!

What he appreciates the most about it is the little notes I put in each star. I made little puns about the gift of the day.
EX:
"I g'love' you with all my 'Car'heart'." for Carhartt gloves.
"Look in the mirror and see how 'attractive' you are" for a telescopic mirror and magnet set.
"You're the apple of my eye" for apple cider.
"Cause I'm sweet on you" for candy.

The dorkier they are the more he seems to like them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goodluck
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007 10:32:55 PM »

That's adorable!  I love the contrast stitching on the stars and all the colors look great together!  Cute notes, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Contour for Long, Lean Faces
Is Tinted Brow Gel Worth It?
How to Get Selena Gomez’s Red Carpet Look
Favorite Products For Treating Sun Damage and Dark Spots
Jamie Greenberg Cooks Up All Natural Beauty Products With Alexis Wolfer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...