A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 306,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is there anything wrong with acrylic?  (Read 7771 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

live aloha

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007 02:35:17 AM »

I think both are wonderful!!  Don't feel intimidated or ashamed of anything because of wool snobs.  My daughter has lots of crocheted and knitted toys from all of my friends here at Craftsters made in acrylic and wool and she loves them all.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2007 06:40:48 AM by atsuko » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mojo
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007 04:02:39 AM »

You know how people are snobby about how they'd never buy clothes that came from Wal*Mart or Target or JC Penney? It's like that. It's not because there's something wrong with the yarn (for the most part), because there are very nice, very soft, very GOOD acrylic yarns. But some people need something to be snobby about, and some people need something to make them feel like they're special.

Sorry, but I take offense to this.  I don't enjoy acrylic yarn but I hardly think that equates to a personality flaw on my part.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

clockworkclover
But, why is the rum gone?

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007 05:48:03 AM »

I use predominately acrylic yarn, mostly because of the cost, but also because it's easy to find and comes in such a variety of colors. My favorite yarn is certainly caron's simply soft, it's great (except for the pilling).

Anyway, don't feel bad about posting projects on ravelry with acrylic yarn... if it's a good project, it's a good project regardless of the kind of yarn you used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
DIY ho
ho ho ho

I'm a total Dean girl. I mean, YUM.

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007 06:08:46 AM »

I am SO glad to find that I'm not the only one around that likes acrylics and uses them a lot! I have a huge stash and almost all of it is acrylic. Wandering around places like Ravelry, I'm totally embarrassed almost to put any of my projects down because they're all so "into" the very expensive yarns. So I haven't put in any projects! Yesterday I looked up yarns - Bernat's Softee Chunky - and not a SINGLE person there has done a project with it (well, that they'd admit to anyway!). Well, shucks. No one I knit for has the time or inclination to wash by hand and block each item each time they wash!

I really wanted to help with some of the projects they have for hats and sweaters for Afghanistan and other places - but "they" insisted on ONLY wool. Well. Hmph. Acrylic I have found to be sometimes even WARMER than wool! And the care is so much easier!

I'm on Ravelry, and I mainly use acrylics... I just haven't gotten around to adding any projects! Cheesy  I agree that acrylics can be warmer, but I like to use cotton, and sometimes wool, for larger wearables like a vest or sweater because those fibers will breathe. (I live in the South, so cotton is often a better bet than wool.) And in an acrylic item, if you sweat -at all- it will just stay moist. Yuck! I used acrylic when I was making crocheted socks for the first time... really, really bad idea! Wink

Anyway, my opinion is that "yarn snobs" are the people who disparage or otherwise snub acrylic-users, not those knitters/hookers who just prefer natural fibers. I mean, if you can be allergic to wool, who says you couldn't be allergic to some chemical or something in acrylic? Or just have an aversion.

Last thing: If I ever win a big lottery, you can bet I'll be buying high-end yarns! No matter the fiber content. Grin
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007 06:09:30 AM by DIY ho » THIS ROCKS   Logged

leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007 06:46:04 AM »

Well, I can agree with the 'breathability' factor.... I made my first knitted pair of socks in acrylic yarn and I'll just say that my next pair are going to be at least a wool blend.  But, I still like acrylic for most of what I make.
Last thing: If I ever win a big lottery, you can bet I'll be buying high-end yarns! No matter the fiber content. Grin
Yeah, if I won the lottery, I'd probably buy some higher end yarns but I'm big on machine washable stuff so.... Wink I'd probably keep buying acrylic and blends for most things LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HomekeepingGran
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007 06:49:35 AM »

Much of my knitting and crocheting is for our eight grandchildren.  I can tell you right now that my daughters are not about to handwash and block a kid's hat or sweater.  They need items which can be tossed into the washer and dryer.  Now for me and my husband, I might buy a higher end yarn because I don't mind caring for it.  Simple as that suit the yarn to the user of the end product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessings,
Carla

"She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands."  Proverbs 31:13
soozeq
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007 07:23:38 AM »

While it's true acrylics won't block, you can wash them to even out the stitches. The only other reason for blocking is when you don't quite have gauge but that isn't as big a problem for me, I knit something to my own gauge, so they always fit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Star217
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007 07:29:44 AM »

When I started knitting/crocheting I used mostly acrylic, I figured if I made a mistake or hated the final project then it wouldn't be a great loss. But after knitting for awhile and wanting to knit some lovely intricate patterns that would need blocking I moved on to wool and other fibers. I must be honest, knitting with non acrylic yarn just feels nicer in my hands and a good wool, silk, tencel, or alpaca yarn is just a pleasure to play with. I don't like the way acrylic doesn't breathe and I don't like that its made of things that are not so great for the environment. There are some great inexpensive non-acrylic non-wool alternatives out there. But work with what makes you happy. I don't judge others for knitting with acrylic and I hope they don't judge me because I won't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
Mojo
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007 07:35:32 AM »

But work with what makes you happy. I don't judge others for knitting with acrylic and I hope they don't judge me because I won't.

Well said! 

I'm currently knitting a scarf using KnitPicks Crayon 100% pima cotton.  Softest stuff ever and a bargain at $1.99/ball ($.99) for some clearance colors).

Here's a link to their clearance sale: http://www.knitpicks.com/clearance+knitting+yarn_YL300103.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chamaecyparis
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007 08:55:28 AM »

My reasons for not knitting with acrylic yarn are mainly environmental- it's made from fossil fuel, which means it's a non-renewable resource, and it's not biodegradable (I don't love the feel of knitting with it either, so it's not too hard to give up).  But, I realize that not everyone is concerned about that , and even if you are there are many economic and personal constraints (like allergies, not having time to be fussy about washing stuff, etc.), so to each her (or his) own, I say.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
July 27, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms
Your Dog Oughta Be In Pictures

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...