A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: idea for NEXT snb book (if there is one!)  (Read 6768 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grrr betsy
« on: January 02, 2005 03:28:10 PM »

I would love to see each pattern list alternate (preferably less expensive) yarn that each pattern can be made with. As a 17 year old high school student who is trying to save up all my money, I can't afford the yarn suggested and I'm pretty lazy as far as not wanting to figure out what would work (shhh).
It would also be a good idea to say if the pattern would work with lighter or warmer yarns for those who live in different climates.

... just an idea. I am aware that the knitter can figure all of this out themselves but I think it would be a fantastic thing to be included in the book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
kyou

Pinktank - The Knitters Army

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005 04:31:58 PM »

I agree. I asked some other people around here about yarn for the London sweater, and everything they suggested was awesome, but still to expensive! So being 16 and jobless myself, I went and picked up my trusty old Red Heart at Wal-mart. Sure, my sweater will be the same blue that I've knit a dozen hats for friends out of, but I'll be able to have gas in my car!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinktank.etsy.com - Hat Patterns

Check out my blog and enter my first contest! http://thepinktank.blogspot.com
GirlMadchen
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005 05:44:30 PM »

It would also be good if yarn sub suggestions included subs from countries other than the US. I live in Australia and we rarely stock the yarns specified in patterns and books from the US in the first place, so we're almost always subbing! One big problem here is getting "worsted" weight yarns. We have something called 8 ply, which is a little finer than worsted, and is readily available, as worsted is in the US... but you really do have to hunt a bit to find a worsted yarn here as it's not actually a standard yarn weight/thickness.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005 06:18:30 PM by GirlMadchen » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.redsuedekitten.com

http://redsuedekitten.etsy.com - red suede kitten's etsy shop - for colourful, original felt jewelry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redsuedekitten - my flickr page - lots of photos of my felt jewelry
HelenaJane

I am Vodkasan Tobacci Tao!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005 01:16:17 PM »

I agree too. My local yarn store's don't carry the merino frappe and alot of times things become dis-continued before the book even comes out.. (like the belle epoque tea gown sweater on knitty's winter issue!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog! KNITTING FOR BOOZEHAGS....
www.knittingforboozehags.com
Violet
constantly craftsterbating

and a half

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005 08:54:58 AM »

um...as a seventeen year old starving artist high schooler myself i have to say it's worth investigating! ask your friendly LYS owners and employees to help you look for substitutions. at least in my experience, they understand that i don't want to spend $90 on a sweater that's not made yet (or even a made one for that matter! )

i agree with you, i'm just saying if you want to knit it, do your homework.  Wink
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005 04:44:15 PM by Violet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: http://violetsknits.blogspot.com
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '........................................................')
boycott sew fast, sew easy! visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
girlcitizen

Llama's taste good with milk.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005 09:50:21 AM »

I agree about doing your homework.  everything can't just be spelled out for readers, that where creativity comes in.  subbing yarns isn't really all that difficult especially if you take the time to educate yourself about the different yarns out there, then you'll already have a good idea about how a specific yarn will work for a pattern.  the more you learn about the hobby you love the less you will need other people to explain every little detail for you.  just my opinion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I knit therefore I am.
grrr betsy
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005 06:47:46 PM »

i realize that it is easy and sometimes a necessity... but a lot of times i never bother starting projects i'd love to do because i don't have time to figure out a cheaper yarn with the right gauge. as well as being poor, i'm a busy sucker...
it would be a good idea as far as selling books i think. not everyone has time to do extra curricular homework. and also as far as selling books like this, the purpose is to spell it out for people so that they can have more of a knowledge to make their own patterns etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
Atouria

Craftster in progress...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005 07:27:34 PM »

I understand what you're saying about the yarn subs.  I haven't used a suggested yarn yet, mainly because of cost, but I think Debbie did a wonderful job in SNB nation.  She gave you all the knowledge you need to adapt any pattern to your taste, your gauge, and your budget.  I really felt empowered after I read the "I knit it my way" section. 

I do, however, have one suggestion.  I use SNB & SNBN as my be all end all reference guides.  Why?  Cause the other books I have just don't explain things in a way that I can understand.  Anyhow, here's my gripe ~ intarsia.  I have both books and it still took me all day to really 'get' intarsia.  The explanation in the second book is the same as the first, as is the illustration.  I realize that it is hard to show the yarn actually crossing from one side of the project to the other, but the explanation didn't portray that for me either.  I could be doing it completely wrong, but I crossing the yarn over & across is the way I make it work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MaryEllen
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005 08:24:32 PM »

I don't have a problem with investigating substitute yarns, but God, would I love to see patterns that are sized for plus sizes. I'm new enough to knitting that I'm not confident in tweaking patterns to fit my size, and it makes me very sad to go through the books and drool over all the cool sweaters and such, and realize that I can't wear any of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mickey McMickerson

ladies is pimps too

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005 09:28:06 AM »

MaryEllen- as far as resizing is concerned, I believe SNBN has a section about adapting patterns to fit your body type. Even if you're a new knitter, I would go for it! It would be too much of a shame if you missed out on knitting yourself awesome things just because you weren't confident enough to resize the pattern. Gotta learn sometime!

Also, I agree with the sentiment about yarn substitutions. I've made several projects out of the SNB books and not once have I used the recommended yarn- it's just too expensive for my budget. Maybe rather than listing specific substitution suggestions, they could include close-up photos of the yarn, as they did for the London Calling sweater, so that you could get an idea of what type of texture/thickness you were looking for. Then even if you lived outside the U.S. you could have an idea of what yarn would work for a substitution rather than trying to track down a specific brand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some of these mornings and it won't be long
You're gonna wake up calling me and I'll be gone
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Greg Donaldson Talks About Zebratown
Lewis Gordon Pugh Talks About Achieving the Impossible
Susan RoAne Reveals Her Motto
Blank Confession Book Trailer Part 3
Bert Fink Talks About The Sound of Music Pop-Up Book
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...