A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
716 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: rigid heddle loom-building one  (Read 10406 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tracinglines
« on: December 12, 2007 02:54:30 PM »

Hey guys, I'm venturing over here from the knitting board.

Like so many of you, I've been doing a TON of research on looms and I'm just totally lost. As of now, I'm only interested in making scarves and wide wraps. Maybe 20" wide at the most. But I would like the capability of making them 6 feet long. From what I gather, that's not possible on a frame loom unless I make it 6 feet long. I've been looking at rigid heddle looms and those cool folding ones. The price isn't too bad, but is there any way of building one? I just can't grasp how that little short thing can store a long scarf. My only guess is that the scarf would be rolled up at the end, but then where does the extra warp come from? Or is there an alternative that can be easily handbuilt?

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quatzical
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008 09:09:30 PM »

Hi!
A rigid heddle loom is kinda like a frame loom with moveable end pieces and a rigid heddle for picking up every other warp thread so you don't have to pick them up by hand. It would probably be a little difficult to build a good rigid heddle (though I've seen it done with popsicle sticks) but you could easily make the frame part and use string heddles for the patterning.

Basically you need two end pieces...they can be round dowels or you could use a square beam...with screws sticking out the ends... and two side pieces with holes drilled through the ends for the screws to pass through and then be tightened with wing nuts/washer.

You wind the yet to be woven warp onto the "back" end piece and as you weave, the woven cloth gets wound onto the "front" end piece to give you more room to keep weaving.

Rigid heddle looms that you buy have a bit of extra shaping on the side pieces to give the rigid heddle a place to go "up" or "down" (not describing it well here, I'm sure it's described better other places) and mine has a raised thing with slits lengthwise on the end pieces to put the yarn through and tie it on but you could just tie it around, you'd just have to make sure to get even tension.

If you don't have the rigid heddle and don't want to make/buy one, you can use a dowel and string as simple string heddle type controls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Infiknitty: handspun yarn and glass knitting needles
http://www.infiknitty.batcave.net

Pepo Passion Blog: Squash and Art
http://www.quatzical.blogspot.com
henofthewoods
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008 09:21:57 AM »

I am very new to weaving, so I don't want to steer you wrong but...

If you buy just the heddle from a rigid heddle loom, it is possible to make a "backstrap" loom. I have never seen anyone do this, but it is in a book I have out from the library (I will check later when I am not sneaking out from work.) This would give you the convenience of having the heddle for $25-$50. (I think it will help make the warp more even and repeatable then I could with something homemade.) I only got the book yesterday so this is still guesswork.

I am just starting to use a rigid heddle loom in a class. We are using the harp from Kromski. You might want to check classes in your area to see if you can try out looms (more than you would in a store) and see what you like.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
henofthewoods
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008 05:31:57 PM »

The book I mentioned is Backstrap Weaving by Barbara Taber and Marilyn Anderson. They show a project using a rigid heddle and dowels (modified to have peg ends) and cord.  They also show a lot of projects just using dowels and flat sticks (like lath.) The nice thing is that you could work in a small space with some flexiblity and it would be much cheaper. I don't have room in my apartment for more than one loom (and really I am not sure I can really fit one loom) so I am interested in this.
The book is from 1975 but it doesn't feature the truly frightening "experimental" work printed in non-stable inkes that so many 70's weaving books have. Amazon has the book if all else fails.
The google search for backstrap weaving brings up some good diagrams and photos (and amazing work.)

Anyway, the materials should be cheaper and the construction should be much less difficult for backstrap than for an actual loom. Whichever, please write and say what you went with.
Hen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Crazy Crayons
How to Decorate Bags with Apples
How to Make a Personalized Fish-Themed Invitation
How to Make a Forest Diorama
How to Create a String Spiderweb
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...