A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,375
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: kansas ice storm  (Read 9650 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007 12:51:28 PM »

Thanks, guy  Cheesy  I wish I was somewhere warm though. I'm cold as heck!

Why are you calling me a guy?  Sad

ha ha I'm sorry.  I meant guyS...as in plural...as in "Hey, guys!" etc., etc.  I guess my keyboard (or me) had a retarded moment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
spurtiic
Jennorific

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007 01:06:35 PM »

outofthequestion - Oh my!  We have areas of town that look like that.  I just chose to take pics of whatever was in my parking lot Smiley  It was prettier than destruction.  But I have seen those sagging power lines around the corner from  me. It's incredible.   I remember a really bad ice storm last year in Kansas.  It didn't quite make it up here.  Well, the ice did, but it wasn't nearly as bad here as in some areas.  My dad and stepmom and their 3 little dogs are w/o power.  Luckily, they have a gas fireplace and gas water heater, so they can at least keep the house warm and thaw out the dogs.  My dad just stopped by a minute ago with a bunch of boxes of food to put in my freezer b/c they won't get power for 2 wks!!  We're trying to figure out what they can do... I can probably talk to my apartment manager and take 2 of the little dogs and the big fat one can stay with my stepbrother if he has power.  We're a pet friendly apartment but my manager doesn't dig me much for some reason. She's pretty mean.  Anyway, so I was trying to invite my dad and stepmom to stay here and I can sleep on the couch.  At least there'd be tv and hot food...and lights! Your pics are tragic looking.  I'm glad you made it through the no power thing with a new baby!  It makes you humble and thankful and ponder how they did it before electricity.

orrkid - Topeka.  I live across from the zoo and Gage Park.  My aunt and uncle live in Wichita and my grandparents live in Wellington.  Apparently they have power.  I'm not sure why so many schools closed here in Topeka though.  I mean, it's bad in some areas, but it's not THAT bad.  Well, then again, I am one of the few with electricity  Cheesy  So many schools just can't get the buses running b/c of the roads closed with power lines hanging and trees laying in them.  My sister was without power for two days, too.  Luckily they have power right now.  It's pretty sad.  I just hope everyone has a warm place to stay!  (I went to Home Depot and Joann yesterday - but Joann was closed!!! - no power! and they're just 5 blocks from me!)  But they said on the news that the Nebraska electric company and National Guard there are bringing those trucks with buckets to help us restore power faster.  2 wks w/o electricity is just impossible this day and age. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
spurtiic
Jennorific

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007 01:08:32 PM »

Hey fellow Kansans!  I have had the last two days off due to the ice storm (and I got a lot of crafting done)  Yay!  The power was out in Manhattan and parts of Juction City, but not in Ogden, so everything worked for me.  I will probably have to go back to work tomorrow though.

Me, too.   Tongue   That's if the power is restored in our building.  I'm enjoying all this time off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spurtiic
Jennorific

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007 01:11:01 PM »

Hope all my fellow Kansas craftsters kept warm and safe yesterday! Great pictures, spurtiic - I especially liked the first two. I guess the bird didn't stick around to get iced to its nest! What part of Kansas are you in? I saw the Topeka Zoo sign in the photo, but figured I'd ask anyway. Smiley

Oh, and no, the bird is on an icy power line above the tree perpetually squawking at the loss of her nest.  It's kinda sad.  I think I'm gonna throw some bird seed out there to see if I can get it to shut up.   Roll Eyes  I feel bad that she doesn't have a warm place though.  Hmm.  Maybe I can stick a shoe box with a hole in it out there with some polyfil stuff??  Okay, now you have me feeling really bad for the bird that pokes holes in my tomatoes during the summer.  heh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

outofthequestion
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007 01:16:33 PM »

Spurtiic--

You're so right, it does humble you. I think it is actually harder on us, though, than it would have been to go without power back when that was what they HAD to do. We are not set up to live life without power. So many people use electric heat even. Back then, at least they were prepared to heat their homes with wood or coal. Plus, they had candles and lanterns, while when the storm first hit here, I only had a few candles, and they weren't the most efficient (I did learn during that ice storm that WHITE candles put out the most light... I guess that's logic, but I never cared before that...) It was very humbling. I feel for your family if they are going without power for two weeks. Everything in our freezer was ruined, so I can also relate there. I'm hoping your apartment manager will be merciful and let you share your place with them. Hopefully you will be able to keep your power. Remember, you're not alone... There are people thinking about you out here (And if you need anything, seriously, let me know... When our power was out, my mom mailed me lamp wicks from Florida... They were sold out in stores here, and it helped sooooo much that she mailed that to us. It makes you not take anything for granted)... Anyways, you're in my thoughts. Sometimes it helps to know that others are out here thinking about you, and who can relate. You're not alone...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goin' crazy, and lovin' every minute...

http://www.crochetcastle.com
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007 01:22:59 PM »

ha ha I'm sorry.  I meant guyS...as in plural...as in "Hey, guys!" etc., etc.  I guess my keyboard (or me) had a retarded moment.

S'ok.  I had the misfortune of reading that directly after getting a very bad haircut... lol.  I thought, geez, they can even tell on the internet?  hahaha  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spurtiic
Jennorific

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007 01:24:50 PM »

Spurtiic--

You're so right, it does humble you. I think it is actually harder on us, though, than it would have been to go without power back when that was what they HAD to do. We are not set up to live life without power. So many people use electric heat even. Back then, at least they were prepared to heat their homes with wood or coal. Plus, they had candles and lanterns, while when the storm first hit here, I only had a few candles, and they weren't the most efficient (I did learn during that ice storm that WHITE candles put out the most light... I guess that's logic, but I never cared before that...) It was very humbling. I feel for your family if they are going without power for two weeks. Everything in our freezer was ruined, so I can also relate there. I'm hoping your apartment manager will be merciful and let you share your place with them. Hopefully you will be able to keep your power. Remember, you're not alone... There are people thinking about you out here (And if you need anything, seriously, let me know... When our power was out, my mom mailed me lamp wicks from Florida... They were sold out in stores here, and it helped sooooo much that she mailed that to us. It makes you not take anything for granted)... Anyways, you're in my thoughts. Sometimes it helps to know that others are out here thinking about you, and who can relate. You're not alone...

You are way too kind.  That's so sweet of you to offer that.  I think we'll do okay.  I'm a candle junky anyway, so I have about 30 WHITE votives (I learned that they put out the best light when I lived w/o power for one day last year), a couple of oil lamps we can dig out if we need them, I gave my dad a pocket flashlight so when he comes home from work tonight he can see his way to the front door, and I have a few of those "Jesus" candles b/c they're cheap and they last a long long time.  Though my parents are divorced, they get along great, and I'm sure if it gets really bad and they can't stay in their house anymore, we'll all regroup as a family and work it out.   Roll Eyes   And I have a wonderful church family that I know will come to my rescue if it gets REALLY REALLY bad.  But at least 3 out of 4 of my family members have power.  My friend was at my home all day yesterday b/c she didn't have power and she was freezing and we both had finals to work on which was canceled last night and rescheduled for...3 hrs from now.  I guess I should probably, uh, type my paper. ha    I noticed this morning everything in the stores were gone... I was glad to get a loaf of bread  and some meat.  Home Depot was sold out of everything except floor tiles.  They didn't have any kerosene or wood.  Insane.

But yes, people are wonderful and thank you for the thoughts and prayers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spurtiic
Jennorific

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007 01:26:31 PM »

S'ok.  I had the misfortune of reading that directly after getting a very bad haircut... lol.  I thought, geez, they can even tell on the internet?  hahaha  Smiley

Oh, no!  Cheesy  I did not mean to give you a complex.  My keyboard is wireless and the batteries sometimes die mid keystroke then come back to life.  Then again, I type too fast . 

PS- I'm sure your hair looks great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

intergalacticj

jam jam jam jam jam...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007 01:59:51 PM »

wow those photos are amazing!! i thought it was cold here in scotland but that ice is insane!! my dad slipped yesterday on some black ice when he was walking the dog and cut his head open, yeouch. the weather change has been really sudden too, its really freezing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

washcloth
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007 03:16:50 PM »

i love your photos!

they remind me of the ice storm in indiana nearly 3 years ago. nothing quite like mistaking powerline failures for fireworks going off all over town...

in spite of all of the trouble, there were some beautiful sights to see.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Greg Gutfeld Talks About Lessons from the Land of Pork Scratchings
An Interview with Dr. Barry Leed
Change Has Come Book Trailer
Venkat Ramaswamy and Francis Gouillart Talk About The Power of Co-Creation
The Last Invisible Boy Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...