A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: kansas ice storm  (Read 9858 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 12, 2007 07:50:57 AM »

My job is closed because of the ice storm, so I have two days off!

So, this morning on my way home from the crazed grocery store where apparently it's the end of the world, I took my camera and took some pics.  I had some way better shots lined up when my batteries crapped out on me.  One was of a chain link fence... you couldn't see the chain link... it was an inch solid ice all the way around it.  It was pretty cool.

Here are my less cool photos:

Frozen bird nest

Frozen coiled tendril

Trees starting to sag on my way home (all ice covered thus the white appearance)

Ice at a glance

The tree branch that broke but used to be over 12' up in the air

The idiots that park under icy breaking tree branches-we can hear them moan and snap (notice the ice on the sagging power lines) And all the trees are wonky and leaning every which direction.  They usually stand tall.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2007 08:53:43 AM by spurtiic - Reason: i remembered the word for "frozen vine thingy" » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
Avesthel
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

<3 birds <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007 08:04:12 AM »

Those are some very pretty and impressive pictures. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007 08:10:40 AM »

It's all so beautiful.  I know ice storms are destructive, but wow... breathtaking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007 08:48:49 AM »

Thanks, guy  Cheesy  I wish I was somewhere warm though. I'm cold as heck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
outofthequestion
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007 08:58:51 AM »

Oh man, I'm feelin for ya... At least you have power and Internet, though... I love the ice pictures though... We had an ice storm in January that was killer, but we took pictures, too... We were without power for 13 days. It was NOT a good time in my life. In the middle of it all, I had my baby girl, and brought her home to a house without electricity. There's nothing like trying to take care of a newborn in the middle of the night without lights... Smiley Hope everything thaws for you soon...

Here are some pics of our ice storm:

Here's one of a barbed wire fence covered in ice:

Here is the poor pin oak in our yard... It looks more like a weeping willow than a pin oak...

Here's a picture of a bunch of limbs down at the end of our street... You can see the size of the limbs in comparison to the stop sign:

Here is one of some sagging power lines by the railroad tracks:

We recently had an ice storm, and I caught this shot of an ice covered spider web (Luckily, our ice is already melted now, though):

Anyways, I hope your ice melts soon. At least you get days off work, though. You're in my thoughts. I know it can be rough... Thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007 09:14:49 AM by outofthequestion » THIS ROCKS   Logged

goin' crazy, and lovin' every minute...

http://www.crochetcastle.com
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007 09:21:49 AM »

I live in Wichita and all we had was rain yesterday, but since we didn't know that ahead of time, my boss called me and told me to stay home. Later in the afternoon when I decided it wasn't going to get on with the icing, I went shopping with a friend (Hobby Lobby, of course!). She kept griping about the school systems freaking out and closing the schools for nothing (she missed a day of work to stay home with her daughter). Apparently it was bad enough to close, just not where we were at. It's hard to believe that just a couple weeks ago it was warm enough to need only a light jacket! That's Kansas for you. Smiley

All I had trouble with this morning was the staircase - the landlord hadn't reapplied ice melt, and so the bottom four steps were covered in ice (perhaps it's retribution for asking earlier this week if the ice melt was pet-safe...). I just hung on for dear life on both sides of it, and made it down okay.

Hope all my fellow Kansas craftsters kept warm and safe yesterday! Great pictures, spurtiic - I especially liked the first two. I guess the bird didn't stick around to get iced to its nest! What part of Kansas are you in? I saw the Topeka Zoo sign in the photo, but figured I'd ask anyway. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007 09:36:43 AM »

Hey fellow Kansans!  I have had the last two days off due to the ice storm (and I got a lot of crafting done)  Yay!  The power was out in Manhattan and parts of Juction City, but not in Ogden, so everything worked for me.  I will probably have to go back to work tomorrow though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
BoredYetCynical
durka durka

Hey, Hey, I wanna be a rock star.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007 11:03:53 AM »

See, now that's where all the convicts who want to escape are going wrong... they always throw some sort of clothing over the barbed wire when they should be using ice, lol
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007 08:02:37 AM by kategirl - Reason: Please remove the [img] tag when quoting pictures. Thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"This is way beyond my remote concern of being condescending"

Baby Sean Born on Nov. 11th 2007
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007 11:27:43 AM »

Thanks, guy  Cheesy  I wish I was somewhere warm though. I'm cold as heck!

Why are you calling me a guy?  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
outofthequestion
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007 11:40:42 AM »

BoredYetCynical, you cracked me up just now! You have a good point LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goin' crazy, and lovin' every minute...

http://www.crochetcastle.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Preparation and Stir-fry Methods for Cooking
Stip fibers from peapods for Chinese food ingredie
Important ingredients for Chinese cooking
Learn about basic Chinese cooking equipment
Art of Chinese Cooking - Food Basics Part 2 of 8
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...