A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what happens when you give a craftster a personal choice project? updates inside  (Read 3765 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lookagnome
« on: December 11, 2007 06:05:24 PM »

this, of course! for my colour and 2d class the prof said we could do anything for our final project as long as it was a challenge in some way . my personal challenge? design and create a collection of jewellery made entirely out of disposable cigarette lighters. ok its not really 2d. at all. but thats ok. so on to the good stuff...

clockwise from top left:

earrings made out of striker gears (anyone know what these are called?), headpins, earring backs

wire-wrapped pendant made of pieces i melted in my oven (hehe)

bracelet made of pieces from the main body, elastic thread

ring made from the back end

hope you like it! comments appreciated. by the way its due tomorrow afternoon Smiley
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007 12:04:58 PM by lookagnome » THIS ROCKS   Logged

quiquesmom

I love this show

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007 06:20:45 PM »

I give you an A++++. You did an incredible job on your project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hello color!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007 06:26:36 PM »

Wowza where did you get all these lighters! The ring is really neat, what does it look like on the back? I like the cardboard displays too, for some reason, did you make them?

I took 2D design at some point, but it was nothing like that. Everything was black & white, and for the most part, it was cutting shapes out of paper, sometimes tearing them, with some ink stuff in the end. And we had no final....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovemylabs
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007 06:30:39 PM »

WOW!  That is great work!  I would have never guessed the items were made from lighters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lexi_icedrink

***made in Belgium***

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007 06:31:51 PM »

AWESOME!!!! You are really talented! I think your teacher will think the same. If not, this teacher is a very sad teacher  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We all make mistakes, and then when you've made enough, they call it experience.

http://thriftwithatwist.blogspot.com/
lookagnome
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007 06:40:13 PM »

wow thanks everyone!!
Wowza where did you get all these lighters! The ring is really neat, what does it look like on the back? I like the cardboard displays too, for some reason, did you make them?

I took 2D design at some point, but it was nothing like that. Everything was black & white, and for the most part, it was cutting shapes out of paper, sometimes tearing them, with some ink stuff in the end. And we had no final....
i've actually collected lighters for quite some time... i quit smoking about 5 years ago and always thought they would make a really fun project of some sort (such pretty colours! haha)

here's another photo of the ring, from the back

i did make the displays too... i just did a project for another class where i had to make a stool out of cardboard and i had a lot left over... i was gonna paint them or something but i agree with you they have a sort of cool look the way they are (but i cant pinpoint exactly why...)

that design class sounds awful... i'm sorry you had to deal with that.

ps i love your icon

WOW!  That is great work!  I would have never guessed the items were made from lighters.

hehe just what i was going for, thanks Smiley... the bracelet reminds me of candy  Tongue
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007 06:42:14 PM by lookagnome » THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazi3ladi3

"I love having sythesthesia..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007 07:07:56 PM »

Clever Idea, I want to try that!! Btw,at what tempurature did the lighters melt and how long did you leave them in for to melt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a crazi3 Ladi3, ROAR!!
lookagnome
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007 05:48:13 AM »

Clever Idea, I want to try that!! Btw,at what tempurature did the lighters melt and how long did you leave them in for to melt?

about 350F for maybe an hour... i just kept checking til they were the texture/height i wanted... i had them on tin foil and after some time i took them out, folded the tin foil over them, and pressed down a pan on top to make them a consistent height. then i waited for them to cool, flipped them, and did it again just to even it out. i can post a full tut for all of these later if anyones interested... i know there are a lot of cigarette lighters out there and a lot of crafters Smiley

btw heres another photo... how i'll be setting it up in critique today... with the metamorphosis of a lighter showing where all the bits and pieces come from

(craftster is resizing the image... if you want to see it full size right click and go to view image.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heathersy

she came to recon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007 07:53:34 AM »

Great work. I like that you used every component of the lighter and every common form of jewelry. It definitely reads as both a collection and a de- and re-constructive process. I think the displays work because the industrial look of the plain cardboard flows with the metal and hard plastics used in the pieces without calling attention away from the collection itself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cats know where my Sharpie went but they ain't tellin'.
lookagnome
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007 12:04:12 PM »

Great work. I like that you used every component of the lighter and every common form of jewelry. It definitely reads as both a collection and a de- and re-constructive process. I think the displays work because the industrial look of the plain cardboard flows with the metal and hard plastics used in the pieces without calling attention away from the collection itself.

thanks Smiley hehe i should just memorize that and recite it for the presentation... <-- not so good with words. especially not now when the fumes of plastic are getting me quite dizzy and nauseated... just  a warning for anyone who's planning to do this to open windows, doors, vents, whatever you have.

also here's another. i was gonna sand it down to a rectangle like the others but i like the amorphous shape. i also drilled the hole where an air bubble was so it almost makes the asymmetry look intentional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating the Rihanna Hairstyle
Putting in Hair Extensions
How To Prepare Short Hair For Hair Extensions
How To Attach Hair Extensions To Short Hair
How To Prepare Long Hair For Hair Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...