A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Felt beads  (Read 144236 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aliengrace
« Reply #230 on: July 18, 2009 12:13:15 AM »

Maybe the ball could be patterned with needle felting? Maybe a combination of wet felting and needle felting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliengrace
« Reply #231 on: July 18, 2009 01:23:40 AM »

...Also, now that I've read the thread, I've found it difficult to dye the balls once I've made them, as they float, and I have to spend some time rotating them, or weighing them down. It's more annoying with natural dyeing. Indigo didn't work at all. I now dye the wool, then roll the balls. I wrap the coloured wool around an undyed core. As the wool I dye comes out rather felted, I quickly hand card the wool. Maybe that's a little bit time consuming but it's also time consuming to carefully mordant and dye and rinse in a way that doesn't felt.

I find I'm needing to develop some muscles in order to roll quickly and efficiently. Still a bit too slow - 10 balls an hour - want to go faster.

I use the finest merino I can get my hands on - cuts down on fuzz and allergenic reactions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: August 15, 2009 03:28:56 PM »

Felting noob here. I've got a couple of questions. I've found that where the ends of the wool were, there are little flaps of felt on the bar of soap that I felted for my mom (my first foray into felting) and now I'm trying to felt beads, but they look kind of like what happens when you have bread dough that's too dry and won't hide its creases when you fold it. The ends are really obvious. For a temporary fix, since the beads are just going to be jewelery anyway, I dunked them in some watered down mod podge. But I can't really do that with soap, and I don't have felting needles to fix the ends. Sad In a pinch, would regular sewing needles work, or does the lack of a barb make them useless for that purpose?

Also, I sort of want to make beads that are kind of shaped like short, fat teardrops. Round on one end, pointy on the other... But I can't figure out a way to do that. Should I just felt a ball and then use scissors to cut a point on one end?

And does anyone else get something like carpet burn on their hands when they roll the beads?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

tepperwear
« Reply #233 on: August 25, 2009 08:54:00 PM »

Thanks so much for this.  Your beads are incredible.  I just saw this rug at Anthropologie today and want to make one.  Perhaps not so big.  It's absolutely gorgeous, and I took my shoes off and walked on it and it's so comfy on the toes.  How do you get your beads to all be the same size?  

Here's the link: 1=&color=095&colorName=MULTI&isSubcategory=true" target="_blank">http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=983068&parentid=HOME-RUGS&pushId=HOME-RUGS&popId=HOME&sortProperties=&navCount=25&navAction=top&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize 1=&color=095&colorName=MULTI&isSubcategory=true  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2009 10:42:47 PM »

A felt bead rug will take you forever, but it's so gorgeous
Use the same amount of fiber each time, and spend the same amount of time on each one.
...should end up relatively the same?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dreamartst
« Reply #235 on: May 05, 2010 11:22:50 AM »

Greetings,
               None of the pics are showing up!!  Can you tell me why or fix this..Thanks so much!!  K
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msd1984
« Reply #236 on: October 31, 2010 09:42:35 PM »

None of the pics show for me...just the evil red x in a box...help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Hair Replacement for Alopecia - Part 3
How to Foil Hi-Light with Tint-Back at the Same time - Part 1
How to Do a Hair Replacement for Alopecia - Part 1
How to Establish Guideline Lengths
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 4
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...