A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Felt beads  (Read 144242 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ShiningStar
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2005 08:06:02 PM »

Hi,
I just saw this done on tv.  Thanks for the tutorial.  I love the colors for all your pieces. My favs are the first two sets of bracelets and the purple necklace.

How do you make the holes and where do you put them?  Do you use a needle to string them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are  --John Wooden
lise
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2005 03:16:28 PM »

ShiningStar, you don't need to create holes, you just use a sewing needle to thread them. They're really soft, it's just like sewing through a piece of felt.
Stargirl, I'm not sure what  peyote  stitch is. To be honest I just make up the patterns as I go, but a friend of mine told me it looks like the technique used to make those woven seed beads bracelets with patterns. Okay that wasn't really helpful was it? I can't seem to find the proper translation for what I mean to say  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cimba
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2005 05:07:31 PM »

Really thank you for the tutorial, it's very precious, as the other infos you gave. I also think that is really kind of you giving a tute and inner hints on something you do for a living. You have all my appreciation and admiration for that. I already knew your site and loved all things there  Cheesy
Thank you again and I will force my lazy self to try that sooner or later!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ciao! Cimba // Homemade happy goodies, made in Italy with a smile!
http://www.ciaocimba.com
rachelyra
Medium Reality

making stuff, taking names.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2005 11:43:54 AM »

hi lila!  I'm a needle felter (make hats, mostly) but have done some wet felting also.  I've never made the beads, though.  I'm planning my wedding right now, including making my dress, and your stuff got me to thinking - of course i should do the beading on my dress in felt beads!  I'm smacking my own forehead at not seeing it sooner.  Then it'll perfectly match the wool dreadlocks i'll be wearing.  brilliant!  thanks for the idea, and kudos on your great site and neat products.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2005 12:37:51 PM »

Those are wonderful. 2 questions, How do you attach the beads to earring posts and How did you clasp the bracelets?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lise
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2005 03:10:51 PM »

Elwood, I use stretch cord for most of my bracelets, thus eliminating the need for clasps. As for the earings, I super-glued the beads to the metal post, and so far the pair I made for myself has held up pretty well, and it's been a few months. Maybe someone else can recommend a stronger glue? I keep hearing about e6000 or something like that and it sounds like though glue. It's not available where I live though so I can't tell you for sure.

Rachelyra.... oh a wedding dress with felt beads embroidered, and felt dreads! I wanna see! Please post pictures after your big day! ( and congratulations by the way!) What color are you making your dreads?

Cimba, Thanks! You should try it, it's really easier than it might seem sometimes, + felt is soooo soft and lightweight, once you try it, you never go back... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2005 05:15:03 PM »

Thanks lise! I phoned around and found some carded wool. Is $10 Canadian expensive for a package of 100 grams?  Oh and one place sells carded wool in batts (sp??) She say they sell for a couple $$ for 10cm.  I'm assuming that will work. Anyways thanks again, my best friend will love her felted creation for her birthday!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachelyra
Medium Reality

making stuff, taking names.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2005 06:44:02 PM »

I promise there will be a million pictures, of course.  I think i'm going to do a fiery orange-red, maybe shot through with yellow.

I've been procrastinating forever on starting the dress.... maybe the idea of beading it can be my carrot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lise
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2005 03:49:07 AM »

Elwood, I'd say 10$CA isn't bad for 100 gramms. It's about the same prices I've seen around in North America. I came accross this other source for mixed bags of Corriedale wool, starting at 5.95 US$ I think.
www.fantasycrafts.c om Wool batts would work perfectly as well. (It's wool that has been carded and looks more like.. quilt batting, or fiberfill, as opposed to roving that has been carded in more a rope-like structure.)

Rachelyra, this page has some orangey/yellow beads. It shows how to make variegated beads. (I find their instructions a bit complicated/confusing though, but I thought you might like the idea)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

e.r.i.k.a

I eat zippers for breakfast!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2005 04:27:06 PM »

Thank you, Lise for posting pictures of your fabulous creations!  I've been dying to try this myself for sometime now, and although I found a tutorial in a craft magazine I saw at school, I have been unable to find the wool.  Your link suggestions are very much appreciated.

Fantastic website!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Drop Dead Beautiful by Jackie Collins
Sally Jenkinson Performs Valentines Day Poem "More Words Than We Deserve"
Raymond Antrobus Performs His Poem "Things That Look Like Love"
Rest in Pieces by Bess Lovejoy
Chemical Garden Trilogy - Sever by Lauren DeStefano
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...