A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,221
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: AWESOME WALL LETTERS-----WITH TUTE!!!  (Read 35691 times)
Tags for this thread: name , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2007 07:35:54 AM »

Ok, I guess this is where this goes.  If not, mods, please feel free to move it to the proper board.  So, I make these letters and I think they're rad and I thought maybe other people would want to make some.  It's a pretty darn cheap project and they look really great when they're done.  Here's what you need:

Unpainted wooden letters (I got mine from Hobby Lobby and they're the biggest size and $2 per letter)
1 piece of scrapbook paper per letter (I picked black/pink argyle and black pin stripes.  Yeah.  That's how I roll.)
Scissors
Mod Podge
2 foam brushes or paint brushes
Coordinating color of acrylic paint
Clear sealer
Mountain Dew (or some other highly caffeinated beverage)

See how big the letters are?

Ok, now that you've got what you need, here's how:

Place your first letter face down on the back of the scrapbook paper and trace around.  I do it this way because sometimes the patterns make it difficult to see the lines on the front side.  Plus, if you screw it up, you can erase without messing up the paper.  Repeat for all your letters.

Now, put the paper aside and get your paint and one of your brushes and paint all around the edges of each letter.  This step isn't strictly necessary, but I do it because it looks more finished and professional.

While you wait for your paint to dry, cut out all your letters.  (You could also just use an exacto knife around the letters instead of tracing and cutting with scissors, but the margin of error is way bigger using that method. [Read: I tried to do it this way and effed it all up])  Now you should have a bunch of papers shaped like your letters.  And paint all over your table.

Now, using your other foam brush, coat the entire front of your first letter with mod podge.  Position your paper on top, making sure to smooth out air bubbles.

Also, check the sides for drips and wipe them off.  If they dry like that, it'll look crappy.

Now that you've got the paper on, go all the way around and use your thumb to press the overhang down.  Again, this step isn't strictly necessary, but it makes it look more finished and professional.

Now you have this:

Repeat the last 3 steps for all of your letters.

Once they're all done, coat the entire front of all of the paper-covered letters with mod podge.

I usually let the first coat dry and then do another coat.  Sometimes I get crazy and do 3 coats.  Just make sure to let it dry completely in between coats.

Once the mod podge is all dry, use your clear sealer and spray those babies down.  Make sure you spray lightly or it'll bleed through the paper and mess up all your hard work.

While you're getting antsy and waiting for the sealer to dry, do like I did and paint the back of your hand with mod podge so it'll dry and look like old lady skin.  Then peel it off and (accidentally) remove any tiny hairs that may have been on the back of your hand (ouch).

Now that they're all dry, step back and admire the awesomeness!!!  I did these for a really good friend of mine.  She picked the word to hang in her crafting room because she said it would make her feel "extra bad ass" while she's crafting.

Side view:

See how pretty the painted edges look?

Some others I've done in the past:

My daughter's name:

My son's name:

My nephew's name (I was pregnant when I did these and caught my giant belly in the picture):

If anybody else does some, post your pics!!!

Also, it's hard to tell from the pics, but they're super shiny when you're all finished.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
kahlan
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007 07:47:34 AM »

Those look great and so fun!! Your kids must love them.

I want a bad-ass crafting room....  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://littlebluehen.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/notahipster/

Better to fail at something you love than succeed at something you hate. - George Burns
green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007 07:48:02 AM »

these r gr8!  they really look easy 2 make!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
TreadmillKnitter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007 08:00:03 AM »

Oh I love this tute! I've seen them done but I didn't have exact directions! THANKS SO MUCH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny

Ravelry:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TreadmillKnitter

Blog:
http://treadmillknitter.blogspot.com/

Her face is a map of the world...and you can tell that she's a beautiful girl.
Brynns Mom
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007 08:06:32 AM »

Thanks for the directions!  I've wanted to do these and now I can.  My niece just got a divorce and bought a house....I think I'll do these for her two kids!  Great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
irasema

I'm creative - you can't expect me to be neat too!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007 08:08:20 AM »

your letters look great! I've done similar projects with smaller items but instead of cutting it out exactly i just sand the edges with a nail file. it doesn't give you the clean edge you have but it still looks really cool. I need a RAWR in my room!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST | BLOG | pintrest
dont mind me.... i'm rather random
sanditerese
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007 08:13:39 AM »

Those are great!  I'm going to have to try them now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SandiTerese

www.wists.com/sanditerese
www.sanditerese.etsy.com
I have a blog now!  www.yarner.blogspot.com

I love personal swaps!
Christinadavinci
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007 08:20:19 AM »

Hey those are really cool!  My husband's name is Julian and I think he wiould be thrilled if I made him something like that.  Just don't know what he would do with them though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frix220

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007 08:24:59 AM »

Cool.. I've made a bunch of these as gifts- but I've never thought about pressing the overhanging paper down. Great idea.

These are some of the ones I've done: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=157033.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007 09:05:22 AM »

I googled PVA glue and it seems that it's just regular white glue.  If so, yes Mod Podge is basically the same thing, just a little thicker.

BTW, I hope it doesn't seem shady that I made a tute for this.  I realize it's not a completely original concept, but some people (ahem, me, ahem) have a hard time getting from point A to point B without some visual cues.  Anyway, yes, that was my reasoning for making the tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Heather McDonald Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Susan Fales-Hill Talks About One Flight Up
Josie Brown Talks About Secret Lives of Husbands and Wives
Susie Essman Talks About What Would Susie Say
All the World Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...