A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
354 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How Bazaar! (Image massive) - Now with Patterns!  (Read 58293 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , pattern , bobble_bracelet_pattern , wrist_cuff  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2007 03:54:59 AM »

I'm involved with the PTA at my boys' primary school, and every year we organize a Christmas Bazaar for the children. We make lots of little things, as cheaply as possible, because we sell them very cheap. It's just so the children can have fun buying lots of stuff and practice using money. Crocheting things is good because the small amounts of yarn I use cost practically nothing, but I wrack my brains thinking of simple but fun things to make that won't take too long.

Someone had donated some buttons, including lots of skull & bat ones, so I decided to incorporate those into bracelets and wristbands.

I made the bracelets using bobble stitches and with the bottons as closures, though I did one with a flower.

The wristbands are made with crochet ribbing and two colours of yarn, with the buttons hanging off the ends of yarn.

This is what they look like in action:

Making the bobble bracelets inspired me, as I thought they looked a bit like caterpillars, so I fiddled around a bit and came up with a way of making little worms and caterpillars.

Then I put them in matchboxes as little pets:

Finally, I made tiny little amigurumi of various creatures, snowmen and so on. Anything I could make with minimum sewing, so no limbs etc to add on.

The hedgehogs have bobble stitches for ears and fuzzy yarn mixed in for the spiky look.

The cats have popcorn stiches for ears and the tails are made as part of the body.

The snowmen are made from the top down so the hats are part of them, and the ends of the coloured yarn are pulled throught the top & knotted to make the fluffy bit at the top. The eyes and nose are French knots, with the yarn wrapped round the needle several times to make the nose stick out (I did the same for the birds' beaks).

This gives you an idea of the size:

As does this:

If anyone wants to know any more details about how any of these were made, just ask.

Most of the patterns are now here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=213278.msg2305481#msg2305481

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007 02:46:47 AM by Angry Angel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucyravenscar.etsy.com
lucyravenscar.blogspot.com
lucyravenscar.tumblr.com
morus
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007 04:14:39 AM »

Nice!  Like the worms, cats and the hedgehogs are great!  I bet you sell out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hawtmamah
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007 04:40:20 AM »

you ROCK. how awesome is that?? you did a great job!! I love love the idea that you did this for your baby's school fair- awesome mom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cdraz
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007 04:44:39 AM »

Those are all so adorable....bet the kids will LOVE them!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mimiw
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007 04:54:16 AM »

I can't believe you made ALL of those!  You must be the coolest mom in the PTA  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
somethingamazingbyvanessa
I'm easily amused and easily confused.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007 05:07:35 AM »

Wow! How cool are those?!?! This totally rocks. You did an amazing job. Sheesh... I could never do anything so small. I'm sure you'll be the hit of the Bazaar!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lolacat
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007 05:14:56 AM »

i love your creations!  and i love that your pta works to teach kids about using money (i'm a banker).  i'm going to share this idea with parents in my community.  happy christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007 05:17:17 AM »

I love all of these! I would love to know how you made the little worms and birds though, they are lovely.

All your projects are so damned good!

Eve
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
marylini
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007 05:18:44 AM »

these are so cute. i'd love to know how to make the caterpillars, birds (are they penguins or regular birds? they could be either!) and the hedgehog! i'm not good at figuring things out for myself.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/yeastthemovie  My directoral debut
www.myspace.com/marybronstein   me
www.myspace.com/photolini  photocomics i do
www.spout.com/butterknife   web-series i do
www.frownlandinc.com         a movie my husband did that I'm also in
mysweetie75
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007 05:31:58 AM »

The little worms in the matchbox with the smiley faces. And the stripe cats. I have the worst phobia with worms but yours are soooooo cute. The birds, the snowman. I especially love the last picture of your son with the snowman. Soo adorable! Everything looks sooo wow. And YES, YOU ROCK! I want to try to make em all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating a Hologram in After Effects
How To Use A Camera In After Effects
How to Outline Fonts in Adobe Illustrator
How to Correct Color using Photoshop Lab Space
Chang Color of Sky in Photoshop using Selective Color
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...