A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,628
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Skinny Jeans... Finaly found a pattern!!  (Read 873 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

whereswally??
« on: December 11, 2007 01:12:56 AM »

I remember a while ago people looking for skinny jeans or cigarette pants. And so was I and today stumbled across burdastyles latest FREE pattern.

the pattern is here http://www.burdastyle.com/creations/show/1656 they have more pics there...

Just one thing if you don't mind. I've never sewn Jean fabric before but heard it can be fairly strenuous and tough on the old machine.. i have a brother that I just bought this year do you think it will be able to withstand it or do you think i should stick to stretchy cotton instead??

Thanks a bunch I hope you all get to try this pattern it looks like great fun and I'm sure a great sense of success will accompany its completion!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stripey_cat
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007 05:09:05 AM »

Demin shouldn't be a problem (I don't know that machine, but it's not that tough), so long as you use the right needle.  Handily, they're labelled as denim needles!

K.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittenKaboodle

Dyslexics of the World, Untie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007 06:19:58 AM »

Be sure to machine wash and dry denim before sewing it!  Denim from the store will shrink, even if it's labeled pre washed or pre shrunk. This will soften the denim and remove any factory finishes, starches or anything add to the fabric to make it look pretty in the store.  Lighter stretch denims are probably a better choice if this is your first time sewing denim; it's easier than classic 14 or 16 ounce denim and with the stretch the fit is far more forgiving.

For the most part, denim is easy to sew with a proper needle for the machine.  A denim needle is thicker and usually has a slight wedge cutting point to slice through the layers of fabric.  The only problem with this needle is that it can leave holes in the fabric, so be sure of the fit first before you do the permanent stitching.  A "hump jumper" helps raise the needle when sewing over large bumps.  A wad of folded cardboard will do fine, although you can but a tool labeled "the Hump Jumper" at any fabric and notions store. Try to avoid excessively large number of layers as all machines have trouble with that.  I use an industrial and even it will gag and skip stitches when I attempt  to sew six or more layers of denim.  Take a bit of extra time to do the fly front if you've never tried on before, hand baste it to be sure everything fits together and to be sure that everything lines up correctly.  I try to time it so I'm doing fly fronts when I start sewing for the day when I'm fresh and enthusiastic, rather than at the end of the day when I'm tired and/or rushed.  I try to do all tricky stuff at the beginning of the day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mienna
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007 07:33:15 AM »

Those look awesome, thanks for the heads up about the pattern! As for sewing denim, I happen to like it 'cause it doesn't slide around like some other fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007 11:05:13 AM »

Awesome pattern!  KittenKaboodle has given some really good advice.  When I recently made a pair of jeans, I used a light weight denim and washed and dried it 3-4 times before sewing.  I'll also add to trim seam allowances (and then finish the seams, of course) to reduce bulk when you have to cross over them.  Be sure you really press each seam well after you sew it, as this can also make a difference in bulk - this should be pretty easy because cotton denim presses very nicely!  If you have some really thick spots, you can even (carefully) hammer them a bit to soften them up.  Just go slowly and you shouldn't have a problem!  Remember to have fun and enjoy the process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
whereswally??
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007 08:51:36 PM »

Ow thanks guys your advice has been a lot of help I can't wait to get going on them!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
localtalent
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007 03:39:54 PM »

Argh, the pattern's down - I'm getting an error on the site.  Did anyone save the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About "Bombing Middle England" by Banksy
How to Paint Still Life Fruit
Learn About "Triptych, 1974" by Francis Bacon
Learn About "Ponies" by the Artist Jeff Koons
Painting Lesson - Infused Light
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...