A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
380 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Orange paisley dress  (Read 3259 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thriftrat

"we just want to live, if anyone would let us."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007 06:18:27 PM »

Oh gosh dang every time you post I'm like, that girl is adorable. We should be BFFs.

Anyway, that design is so perfect for the fabric, and your body type. I wish it was warm again here so I could wear dresses again!

HAHA omg I'm like that about your posts too, you're pretty darn adorable yourself! Especially the posts with your printed jersey tops, or your brown babydoll swing jacket; I'm  officially its biggest fan. I'm thinking of making something similar with this houndstooth fabric I have because I dig the cut and fit so much. Hope it turns out ok Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'd rather be sewing.
thriftrat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007 06:27:18 PM »

I love it! I've always loved dresses or tops in that style, and one day I hope I can make one myself. How hard was it on the scale of 1 to 10 (hard)?

The fabric is an amazing choice too. Do you live in singapore? (random question i know)

I'd say 4, really. Making it was simple, but the hard bit was trying to figure out how much extra fabric I needed to make the gathers in front. Anyway, I didn't take a picture of the back, but I made a keyhole kinda slit at the back collar, meaning at first to fasten it together with a button, but was too lazy to make buttonholes later on so I just made long ribbon straps with the extra fabric and used them to tie the slit together. This made the whole project much simpler because I absolutely hate doing buttonholes. Okay I did a terrible job of explaining I know; I'll take a picture of the back so you get what I mean Tongue

And yeah, I'm a born and bred Singaporean Smiley How did you know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'd rather be sewing.
thriftrat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007 06:28:23 PM »

Thanks all of you for the lovely comments! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'd rather be sewing.
rocketqueenmch
Don't Auto Exit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007 04:42:27 AM »

And yeah, I'm a born and bred Singaporean  How did you know?

You mentioned zoukout, so it's not really a wild guess. It's either you're a singaporean or malaysian (where I live) Smiley

Finding good fabric in Malaysia is super super hard, because most of the patterns are skewed to the traditional baju kurung style and they have very few awesome printed cottons. I meant to go to singapore to stock up on my fabric stash, but haven't been able to. I can't wait though!

did you base all your dresses on something you owned? or did you make it up and created the pattern for it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluffybuffalo
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007 03:07:12 PM »

I love it! It's so cute! I want to try to make one for myself now.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007 05:54:00 PM »

this is a really cute dress and i like the paisley*  {i am not that fond of paisley either} Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
Annabelle Ann
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007 07:05:10 PM »

Super cute!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007 07:05:39 PM by Annabelle Ann » THIS ROCKS   Logged
thriftrat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007 05:10:40 AM »

And yeah, I'm a born and bred Singaporean  How did you know?

You mentioned zoukout, so it's not really a wild guess. It's either you're a singaporean or malaysian (where I live) Smiley

Finding good fabric in Malaysia is super super hard, because most of the patterns are skewed to the traditional baju kurung style and they have very few awesome printed cottons. I meant to go to singapore to stock up on my fabric stash, but haven't been able to. I can't wait though!

did you base all your dresses on something you owned? or did you make it up and created the pattern for it?

Yeahh you should come over! Spotlight will most likely scam you for every cent you own, but Chinatown and Arab St. are good for some decent fabrics. I did go to KL with my family awhile ago, and we hit the Kamdar complex - EVERYTHING was floral and reminded me, like you said, about the baju kurungs I used to wear as a kid. But I did find some okayish floral prints, it wasn't too bad.

I mostly make up my own patterns; I've been making stuff and figuring out patterns by trial and error for two years. I've ruined alot of fabric along the way, but now I can finally make all the designs I see in my head. I'm entirely self-taught, which is why my sewing methods are abit unorthodox you could say, and I learned alot from Craftster too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'd rather be sewing.
ginger.inked
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007 07:22:32 AM »

Oooo! Cute. I love the colours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

haute.tamale  on EBAY.
purple-gurl
lil' dew...

Peace Out!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007 12:30:27 PM »

this is so adorable.
love the fabric and style.

i was just thinking of making a dress with that same style for the collar and have the pleating for the skirt but havent had a chance to actually make it.

looks awesome though,
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is Ours to B spent, not to be SAVED!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Messy Braids Hairstyle: Backstage at Nicole Miller Spring 2014 Show
How to Do Retro Rockabilly Hair
How to Use Dry Shampoo
How to Do Bright Ombre Tips
How to Do an Easy Side Knot
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...